Hand-loading Barnes TSX bullets

Cloudhopper

I've just bought some Barnes TSX in 308 Win and plan to load them with H4895. Barnes give load data for this combination with a COAL of 2.810", the maximum COAL for the 308. I haven't measured up yet so I don't know how far this will put me off the lands in my rifle with this bullet design. I've done a search on SD to see if there are any posts regarding hand loading Barnes TSX monometal bullets and there's some suggestion that I should be "seating at up to 70 thou off as they prefer a longer jump then conventional bullets".

I have to say that 70 thou doesn't strike me as a particularly long jump, but I'm curious to know if anyone has experience of hand loading these bullets.
CH

Last edited:
I use 130g TTSX with 46g H4895 as my standard stalking load. Does 3000fps out of my 20 inch barrel. Give me a sec and I will measure OAL. I seem to remember setting the length and not needing to vary it at all

Barnes do recommend a long coal, I have their loading data, so if you wish can let you have it for the weight of bullet your using, I always use them in Africa as they have an amazing penetration and knockdown, as said you can go one weight down and still achieve similar effects. deerwarden

If you have some factory or hand loads which are shooting well in your .308, set the seating dies by that ammunition to the same ogive contact, then seat a TSX with it. Measure it, and see if it will fit in your magazine and feed properly. If it is too long, set it back a bit, like to the standard 2.80 inches. If it comes out right near 2.80 inches, go ahead and back it up a little bit ( 0.040), unless you have gauged the lede to the lands. Use the same starting load as you would for a 150-gr conventional jacketed bullet, about 41.0 gr of H-4895, depending on your brass volume. Then work up slowly, checking velocity, pressure and groups, same as for any bullet.

I have only loaded the Barnes in the .308 a few times, and that is what I did with RL-15. I ended up with it shooting the proven load of Hornady 150-gr Interlock and the new 150-gr TSX load to the same spot, in small groups, in both his rifles, and one of mine. Since then, I have worked done the same with Varget ( 1 grain less ), and H-4895 (1.5 grains less than RL-15). That is the extent of my knowledge, but it works so far.

I've just bought some Barnes TSX in 308 Win and plan to load them with H4895. Barnes give load data for this combination with a COAL of 2.810", the maximum COAL for the 308. I haven't measured up yet so I don't know how far this will put me off the lands in my rifle with this bullet design. I've done a search on SD to see if there are any posts regarding hand loading Barnes TSX monometal bullets and there's some suggestion that I should be "seating at up to 70 thou off as they prefer a longer jump then conventional bullets".

I have to say that 70 thou doesn't strike me as a particularly long jump, but I'm curious to know if anyone has experience of hand loading these bullets.
CH

You don't mention the weight of bullet you have acquired.

I recently wrote to Barnes asking if they had any load data for the 130 grain TTSX in .308W and IMR4895. They sent back an as yet unpublished chart which shows a load for your H4895, starting at 41.4 grains and maximum load 46.0 for the 130 grain bullets

The interesting thing on the new chart, which differs from their web site data, (which only had data for the 130 gr TSX rather than the TTSX) is that the C.O.A.L. is given as 2.785" rather than the SAAMI 2.810".

You might try contacting Barnes direct and asking for data for the TSX bullets you have.

Alan

Last edited:
Using ttsx in 243 and 270.. Seat bullet to saami length and forget the advertising regarding 'distance to lands'.
The barnes need to be pushed as they are long for calibre - the reason for going 'lighter'.

You don't mention the weight of bullet you have acquired.

I recently wrote to Barnes asking if they had any load data for the 130 grain TTSX in .308W and IMR4895. They sent back an as yet unpublished chart which shows a load for your H4895, starting at 41.4 grains and maximum load 46.0 for the 130 grain bullets

The interesting thing on the new chart, which differs from their web site data, (which only had data for the 130 gr TSX rather than the TTSX) is that the C.O.A.L. is given as 2.785" rather than the SAAMI 2.810".

You might try contacting Barnes direct and asking for data for the TSX bullets you have.

Alan

They're 150 grain TSX. This was the only version on the shelf, perhaps I should have waited and found some 130 grainers. I've got the Barnes data. I'll measure up later, but I'll probably start at SAAMI length and see how it goes.
CH

Where can I source please?: -
[h=2]Barnes 130gr Non Toxic TSX bullet heads for .308 calibre[/h]

Back