Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes in other countries

Coyotes in other countries

I have often wondered why the fox is also found in North America as in Europe but the coyote is not existing/found in Eastern Russia or China, because when all of the Bering sea was frozen over 50,000 years ago or it might even have been a connected land mass migrations would have been possible.

I think the coyote is not as hardy in bitter cold as the wolf and lynx, they don't seem to hunt in packs like wolves, so they cannot pull down large game and share it, and if wolves and big cats like cougars and jaguars are around, these larger predators seem to take them out.

I recently worked on a large (300+ square mile) weapons R&D facility with no hunting inside, so there were wild boar, bobcats, deer, but not many coyotes. There were cougars in there. I saw two within six months in the parking lots, and another outside crossing a rural road into a corn field.

Based on their niche - Coyotes are simply a N. American jackal. That is perhaps an oversimplification, but they are in the same genus. For a species to move into new areas it needs a niche to exploit, and jackals fill that in the rest of the world.

Now, that being said - our N. American coyote is on the verge, if not already across the verge, of being at least two distinct sub-species, very different in form and niche. The western US subspecies is rather small (30 pounds or less on average) and exists in a niche between foxes and wolves. Where wolves exist in large numbers, it does not. It has been shown that areas with healthy wolf populations eliminate coyotes. Extrapolating a bit - the Bering bridge area of N. America has always had large wolf populations and therefore they may've been a biological barrier.

The eastern subspecies has been conclusively proven to be a partial wolf hybrid, mostly from Canadian gray wolves. This subspecies is larger (I have trapped/shot quite a few and the average size is usually 40-45 pounds) and more aggressive. There is also a 3rd type (I won't say subspecies) that is a hybrid between Red Wolves (exist only in a very isolate population along the Eastern coastal states, with the largest and only stable population on the eastern shore of North Carolina) and coyotes. This one though is quite complicated because many researchers think that the Red Wolf itself is a more ancient wolf/coyote hybrid.

golden jackal shot in bulgaria and mounted by wayne pyle think youll agree its very coyote like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12067833_927128594028032_859621788_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	64544

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    golden jackal shot in bulgaria and mounted by wayne pyle think youll agree its very coyote like.

Name:	12067833_927128594028032_859621788_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	64544
    One of these was killed in Denmark a couple of months ago.

Wow, that Bulgarian jackal does look like a coyote.

Last year, while hunting in the snow at 2,600 feet on the North Carolina - Tennessee border, as I walked out to a highway to find my vehicle, I saw a large coyote get hit by a truck. I went over to it, lying on the side of the road, and underneath its very full and soft winter coat, it was about a 65-lb animal, and had long legs - it looked like a small timber wolf, more grey in it than brown.

I had a golden jackel come out of the bush in front of me just 4 yards away on a boar drive in Croatia but it was gone in seconds into the bush behind me and there was another shooter to my right so would have been too dangerous a shot, but I have seen one.
    Only coyotes I have seen were in Yosemite National Park and I reckoned the rangers were feeding them to keep them in photo distance as when I went back there a few months later they were still in the same spot.
    It"s high on my bucket list to do a coyotes only week out in the west sometime, maybe back to NM where I was working in the early 90s I loved it there and it"s the only place if I was given a green card I would retire to.
    Thanks for the heads up ref the migrations though.
    Last edited by Bavarianbrit; 17-12-2015 at 16:26.

ive shot lots come on one of my trips its great fun with multiple targets
    Available: jackal hunt bulgaria

Name:	2015-03-18 12.33.20.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	728.8 KB 
ID:	64547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-17 12.29.03.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	739.7 KB 
ID:	64545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-03-16 21.48.11.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	64546

Wolves, coyotes and jackals all share common ancestry and if they crossbreed the ofspring is fertile, so they are all variations on theme. Similar to some extent as the red deer, sika and wapati/elk are all pretty much the same thing, but vary tremendously in size from region to region and habitat.

There are several varieties of fox in North America, and the largest one seems to only be about half the size of the foxes I see posted from the UK. The genes for the varieties of dogs, foxes, wolves and coyotes seem to be fairly strong, just as they are with cats: tabby, boots, black, white, Persian, grey, orange, lynx, bobcat, etc.