What rifle do I buy?

AlMai

Hi all,

im new to the shooting world, but have wanted to get a rifle for a while. I'm one of those people who obsesses about something for a while, finds out all the info I need to know, then something comes along and I forget about it. As this is the 3rd round for the "I want to get my FAC and learn" obsession, I feel I've paid my dues to have it.
So, I've looked at a few rifles and their costs, ammunition and costs, licensing (and usually more costs), and think I want something along the lines of a mosin (ammunition a cheap, easy to maintain etc) or a lever action .357/.44 (still cheap rounds and they look pretty interesting). However, I realise that in saying "I want this" without having ever owned or even fired one. So what's everyones thoughts, opinions or suggestions? Does anyone have any experience with anything like these?

thanks

alex

Join a local shooting club and try some different guns there before you think about buying

Nice to want but do you have "good reason" to own? wont get a licence just because you would like one - good luck though

Thanks for the replies, Greener Jim, I'm ideally looking to stalk as soon as I can, and have had an invite to a muntjac and fallow cull early next year. I like the sustainability of stalking, ie no factory farmed meat etc, but this is not my primary reason for wanting to stalk. I fully intend to practice proper shooting competence, so will log a considerable amount of range and stalk witnessing before ever being behind the rifle, but would just like to know what is a well review rifle for this purpose, whilst being cost effective to keep (ammunition + rifle cost)

Join a local shooting club and try some different guns there before you think about buying

+1. Depending on which bit of 'South Wales' you're in you could join Monmouth & District Rifle Club and have the opportunity to fire a number of different rifles - including lever-action gallery rifles. You could also pick the brains of some experienced folk with a wealth of knowledge.

S/H tikka T3 in .308 cheap and cheerful quality rifle , the caliber is fine for target and deer

S/H tikka T3 in .308 cheap and cheerful quality rifle , the caliber is fine for target and deer
Not a bad choice of rifle. Definitely recommend .308. Cheap readily available ammo for practice, hunting ammo available in every gunshop!

Thanks for the replies, Greener Jim, I'm ideally looking to stalk as soon as I can, and have had an invite to a muntjac and fallow cull early next year. I like the sustainability of stalking, ie no factory farmed meat etc, but this is not my primary reason for wanting to stalk. I fully intend to practice proper shooting competence, so will log a considerable amount of range and stalk witnessing before ever being behind the rifle, but would just like to know what is a well review rifle for this purpose, whilst being cost effective to keep (ammunition + rifle cost)

Ok. Well licensing issues put to one side for now since it sounds like you've looked in to it a fair bit (if you would like to discuss it more feel free to PM me) I would start by saying that neither of the two cartridges/rifles you suggest are particularly suitable for stalking.
The 357 Magnum, although legal for muntjac, is nowhere near high enough in energy for Roe and up, thus precluding fallow.
The 44 Magnum, can be made legal for all deer species in England and Wales.
The Mosin, although suitable in regards the cartridge it uses, is not what would be deemed a good stalking rig.

You would also have problems in finding suitable hunting ammunition for the 357, 44 or indeed the 7.62x54r

To to keep costs down may I suggest a Parker Hale in .270. They will do everything you require and are very economical to purchase. Ammunition varies substantially in cost but if Prvi Parresan groups properly in your rifle there is very little outlay there. Even with more expensive factory ammunition, £1-2 a bang is hardly excessive and is unfortunately a part of the hobby.

Last edited:
I think you'll find a lever action .357/.44 cannot be legally used for deer stalking.. There are legal requirements of suitable bullets also muzzle velocity and muzzle energy that have to be met with firearm & ammunition in order to hunt deer.
Others on here are dead right though - join a club and start learning to handle & shoot correctly first.
Move on as competence and cash permit.
Cheers, d

Last edited:
If you must have a lever action look at the Browning BLR. Magazine fed and in proper calibres but a bit thin on the ground. Or there's the .30-30 if you want a tube magazine.

I think you'll find a lever action .357/.44 cannot be legally used for deer stalking.. There are legal requirements of suitable bullets also muzzle velocity and muzzle energy that have to be met with firearm & ammunition in order to hunt deer.
Others on here are dead right though - join a club and start learning to handle & shoot correctly first.
Move on as competence and cash permit.
Cheers, d

Not quite right. By careful reloading you can get a .44 up to deer legal levels.

I had a .44 magnum on ticket for many years as a deer rifle but never actually used it as I wasn't happy with the first round accuracy from my particular Marlin rifle. The first round from a cold barrel on my rifle would always go high and left/right (I forget which way) by some inches even at 25metres. I read somewhere that this was possibly due to a sticky barrel band which seemed quite logical as after the first round it was easily capable of 2" 100 yard groups. The other problem was sourcing .44 jacketed expanding bullets for reloading as since the pistol ban availability in this country has been poor.

join a rifle club
most of them will have a club rifle in .308 or similar, you can learn and get used to the calibre

you will also have the chance to look at and potentially use other people weird and wonderful choices

calibre/cartridge and rifle style choice are a trade off when it comes to stalking

you want something you can shoot accurately but not too heavy that you are huffing and puffing from carrying the thing when it comes time to slow down and pull the trigger in the field

most target clubs however will not be interested in shooting at ranges you need to be practising at to develop skills and confidence to shoot deer, which initially should be 100yds as a benchmark

shooting targets with 6" bulls at 300-600yds in my opinion is only valuable to learn the muscle memory of shooting in a repeatable manner

you want to be shooting 1-2" targets at 100 and consistently hitting them from a variety of shooting positions to build up confidence

I agree a Mosin Nagant would certainly kill deer as would any WW2 military rifle
but as a choice to start stalking it is not the best

rifles can be had for free
the parker hale mentioned above is basically the WW2 Mauser 98 in a sporting stock and a bolt derivation to allow for scoped use
they can be had privately for pennie since everyone now wants to buy new and plastic

whatever you get make sure it fits you. get the stock length altered, have someone mount the scope properly so the eye relief is right for prone and standing shooting
munties and fallow all fall over to .243 upwards
get what you can buy ammo for locally too

good luck and welcome to your next obsession!

Not quite right. By careful reloading you can get a .44 up to deer legal levels.
I had a .44 magnum on ticket for many years as a deer rifle but never actually used it as I wasn't happy with the first round accuracy from my particular Marlin rifle. The first round from a cold barrel on my rifle would always go high and left/right (I forget which way) by some inches even at 25metres. I read somewhere that this was possibly due to a sticky barrel band which seemed quite logical as after the first round it was easily capable of 2" 100 yard groups. The other problem was sourcing .44 jacketed expanding bullets for reloading as since the pistol ban availability in this country has been poor.

OK accepted, I should have inserted the word 'cannot easily be used' in my opening sentence. Apart from the MV & ME issue I did also mention suitable bullets.
As you say, since the pistol ban, availability of expanding bullets in these calibres is I imagine difficult and therefore a newcomer is presented with an immediate problem to overcome. Also a newcomer to reloading would certainly need to have access to a chronograph to ensure the velocity/energy requirement.
In my view, it's never going to be a completely straightforward development to get deer legal with either .357 or .44 for the inexperienced.

So, enjoy a lever action on the range, then, when the time comes, get a more appropriate rifle for shooting live quarry and shorten the odds in obtaining humane kills.
As I say, it's just my opinion.

Personally have always been fond of the 270 Winchester cartridge but the choice of target type or "non expanding" bullets that the regulations now demand have never been good for the 270. Perhaps it is better now that it used to be? So there are most likely better cartridges to use for what you want!

I suggest you consider 308 Winchester and here the choice of rifle make and type is vast. Luckily for those just starting out and those of limited means this means that there are some real bargins to be found. Parker-Hale has already been mentioned and I would add BSA and Brno to that list to be considered. Another way to start out to my mind would be to also consider an older target rifle in 7.62x51. Not all are huge cumbersome things after all. The Envoy was one based on the No4 Lee Enfield then there were rifles like the Australian Sportco and the Norwegian Kongsberg both of those were popular in the UK for NRA style target shooting like that in the annual NRA meeting at Bisley camp when the Queens Prize is shot for. Many will have been rebarreled over their lifetime and now due to being seen as old fashioned can be picked up for a very reasonable sum and still shoot very well.

Fitting a scope may be slightly more difficult to some of them than others as they were originally set up for target peep sights. There are people on here most likely more in the know on this than me as I have not been involved in shooting for quite a few years now but funnily enough when last at the gun club while browsing through the rifles for sale list noticed a Sportco target rifle on offer there as well as some mauser 98 based ones for little money. Would have thought that a rifle built on a Mauser 98 would be fairly easy to scope as many mounting types are made for the 98. Am not sure about the others though but something to think about though. My intention and hope is to get one for club range use myself that is why I was browsing and doing a little research on pricing.

View attachment 64579

Funny you should say that as I just bought the above for £99 as a project to cut me teeth on.

Word of warning, chambers on 7.62x51 are different to 308 and CAN exhibit excessive headspace if using a 308 round. This is not always the case, just make sure you check the head spacing first.

I've researched this A LOT and have asked a couple of our more experienced members on here via PM so please heed my warning and check the headspace on any 7.62x51 before putting 308 through it.

Buy a nice .22 LR first, and learn to shoot with the iron sights and a scope, in all four positions.
A CZ 452 would be all you need. And you could use it for rabbits, rats, pigeons and that sort of small game hunting. If you hunt small game the same way you would hunt deer - by spot and stalk, by waiting in a blind, by observing their patterns and finding their sign, you will acquire the skills for deer hunting.

Buy a nice .22 LR first, and learn to shoot with the iron sights and a scope, in all four positions.
A CZ 452 would be all you need. And you could use it for rabbits, rats, pigeons and that sort of small game hunting. If you hunt small game the same way you would hunt deer - by spot and stalk, by waiting in a blind, by observing their patterns and finding their sign, you will acquire the skills for deer hunting.

Absolutely spot on Southern. :tiphat:

Though I would add that for stalking/hunting as well as the basic positions also get some practise in using other support methods such as bipods and sticks. In fact utilise any advantage you can get to provide solid support but don't get dependant on it.

Last edited:
There are two Winchester factory 44 Mag 250grn loads that are deer legal both making 1850ftlbs out of a 20" barrel so there is no reason why anybody should be fefused a 44 mag for deer. Ian.

View attachment 64579

Funny you should say that as I just bought the above for £99 as a project to cut me teeth on.
Just saw your find, Jim. What a deal.
Target front sight with inserts, and mounting block on the barrel for a long target scope, like a Lyman.

If the barrel has been as well-cared-for and as little-used as the stock ( and I bet it has been ), you have a deal there.

Here in the USA, a nice target or sporter conversion of an M1917 or 1903A3 will bring $500 any day of the week, and some a lot more. An unaltered M1917 in military trim will bring $800 to $1,000.00.

Back