British Deer Society

I was a member in the North East.
Very cliquey. I didn't fit in and asked too many searching questions. I resigned and went my own way.
BASC is much better value for money and represents the shooters and doesn't pretend to be about deer welfare when 95% of its members are stalkers.

I would not join the BDS as it is not a deer stalkers body but a deer welfare body that happens to have members who stalk deer.

No matter how good the social side and how pleasant the people who do belong to it and post on here I say one thing.

To stalk deer and to join the BDS is as much a double edged sword as to shoot game and join the RSPB. Or to hunt and join the RSPCA.

For you give a legitimacy by your very membership to a body that does not have, at its core as events have in past times demonstrated, the interests of the deer stalker as paramount.

it is not a deer stalkers body but a deer welfare body that happens to have members who stalk deer.

On the button ES! But I must disagree with you - deer stalking and deer welfare are not incompatible! In fact I suspect most stalkers are the most serious deer welfare practitioners anyway.

enfieldspares

I agree with The Mole - "deer stalking and deer welfare are not incompatible" and "most stalkers are the most serious deer welfare practitioners anyway". For that matter, I don't see that shooting game need be incompatible with RSPB membership, or hunting with RSPCA membership (although hunting is illegal, so that doesn't apply:)).

To answer the OP, join for a year and see what you think - the East Anglia Branch is now in good shape and as JC275 says, runs some good events. Maybe see you at some of them?

Andrew

I would agree strongly with The Mole and Andrew S. More to the point, since when did 'deer welfare' become a term of abuse? :evil:

BDS is a deer welfare organisation with some members who are deer stalkers. Personally I'm more a lot more happy with that than I would be with a deer shooters organisations with some members who are into deer welfare.

Being in Oxfordshire we no longer have a local branch of the BDS, but through the national organisation I've taken part in RTA counts, deer census, etc. To me that's a fundamental part of being a stalker - an interest in deer over and above going out and shooting them.

As an organisation they are a long way from perfect, but they remain the only dedicated deer welfare organisation in the UK. Therefore they will continue to get my subscription.

willie_gunn

I would agree strongly with The Mole and Andrew S. More to the point, since when did 'deer welfare' become a term of abuse? :evil:

BDS is a deer welfare organisation with some members who are deer stalkers. Personally I'm more a lot more happy with that than I would be with a deer shooters organisations with some members who are into deer welfare.

Being in Oxfordshire we no longer have a local branch of the BDS, but through the national organisation I've taken part in RTA counts, deer census, etc. To me that's a fundamental part of being a stalker - an interest in deer over and above going out and shooting them.

As an organisation they are a long way from perfect, but they remain the only dedicated deer welfare organisation in the UK. Therefore they will continue to get my subscription.

willie_gunn

Around and around we go. Very similar thread a while back. Agree with Willie_G's sentiments this time, as I did last...

dodgyrog has done the same as me!! wounder if he had his stalking bought out from under him!! by cliquey members!!

I was a member for a couple of years and found as others have already mentioned that it is very much a mixed bag with some very pleasant and helpful people who were an absolute pleasure to meet, and some characters who were a right pain in the arse and did nothing good for the organisation whatsoever. I wanted to become more involved and help out in deer welfare projects but the branch that I was in only operated in a very small part of the country immediately around the locality of one or two “key” members. Another branch that I have had some dealings with over a number of years appeared to be far more active but they have had mixed times with people coming and going due to infighting. Another thing is that personally I feel there should be a Welsh branch of the BDS, as they seem to have almost disregarded this part of the country entirely unless it is recruiting at game fairs and country shows, where the buffoon types can pose in their Akubra bush hats.
Several friends who have been members for many years have come to similar conclusions to mine and have decided not to re-new membership. Their own decisions and something that was not discussed amongst us, they feel that they can get better value and be more involved elsewhere.

Around and around we go. Very similar thread a while back. Agree with Willie_G's sentiments this time, as I did last...
Kevin

I have come to the conclusion that somewhere, deep in the bowels of the SD site, there is what I call the "Random Rant-o-miser".

Designed by the great Heath-Robinson, the "Random Rant-o-miser" has an unfathomable series of cogs, wheels, sliders, valves, pistons and pulleys. Into its magazine is deployed a collection of subjects that, on a seemingly random basis, are expelled into threads to start a rant. Whilst they appear random, by harnessing the power of the Hadron Collider I have been able to do some detailed analysis and identified the following recurring themes and sequence:

BDS vs BASC vs SACS vs NGO vs St Huberts vs CA vs......(sorry, the Collider ran out of memory on this one, but you get the gist)
Long Range vs Short Range
Land Rover vs Any Other 4x4
(insert calibre of your choice) vs (insert calibre of your choice)
Head Shot vs Engine Room
Paid Stalking - What is a Fair Rate.....Discuss
(Insert name of your local constabulary here) vs Every Other Constabulary
Muntjac Management vs Vermin Control
Synthetic vs Walnut
Formal Training (e.g. DSC) vs Experience

I am sure there are others, but will have to wait for the Collider to re-charge.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
bds

i think willie is right about bds care for deer! i think it may be that people join looking to see what they can get out of it,IE- deer shooting!! and it is these people who spoil the whole thing. just a thought why is there no branch in oxford shire anymore!!! same happened there i wonder??

Last edited:
Hi,

I joined last year and was allocated to the West Branch. I am very disappointed by the lack of any branch activities, I have offered to get involved but so far nothing.
If I maintain my membership this year I will move to either the Wessex or the South West where the branches seem much more active.
The magazine is good very well put together and very informative. From the magazine you can see that some of the branches are very active.

It would be worth contacting the East Anglia Branch and asking a few questions:
The Chairman is Nick Rout and his email address is: n.rout@btinternet.com

Hope this helps.

ATB
Les

Kevin

I have come to the conclusion that somewhere, deep in the bowels of the SD site, there is what I call the "Random Rant-o-miser".

Designed by the great Heath-Robinson, the "Random Rant-o-miser" has an unfathomable series of cogs, wheels, sliders, valves, pistons and pulleys. Into its magazine is deployed a collection of subjects that, on a seemingly random basis, are expelled into threads to start a rant. Whilst they appear random, by harnessing the power of the Hadron Collider I have been able to do some detailed analysis and identified the following recurring themes and sequence:

BDS vs BASC vs SACS vs NGO vs St Huberts vs CA vs......(sorry, the Collider ran out of memory on this one, but you get the gist)
Long Range vs Short Range
Land Rover vs Any Other 4x4
(insert calibre of your choice) vs (insert calibre of your choice)
Head Shot vs Engine Room
Paid Stalking - What is a Fair Rate.....Discuss
(Insert name of your local constabulary here) vs Every Other Constabulary
Muntjac Management vs Vermin Control
Synthetic vs Walnut
Formal Training (e.g. DSC) vs Experience

I am sure there are others, but will have to wait for the Collider to re-charge.

willie_gunn

:lol::lol: Made me chuckle and very true....

in my humble opinion, the bds are interested in only one thing...... money, like all the other organisations.

icon1.gif

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by thomas243
in my humble opinion, the bds are interested in only one thing...... money, like all the other organisations.

My thoughts are with you on this one;)

Okay guys ..

Please explain how any organisation that pays for staff, buildings, stock etc etc exists without making money..

Imho they are as good as any and certainly the Wessex branch are as welcoming as anybody could hope for..

Completing my level 2 the certificate was with me in less than two months, the welcome my non stalking brother and his family recieved at the Wessex bbq was amazing and i have yet to experience anything remotely clique.

Speak as you find but this is my experience

Terry

Back