Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel cull

Squirrel cull

I am planning to make a special effort to get ontop of our Squirrel population at our Pheasant shoot.
    I have used a few techniques,.22lr sniping,drey poking/shooting, in the past to varying levels of success.
    What do you find most successful,this needs to be an efficient culling job not just a bit of sport,there are too many around!!

Provided you haven't got the general public wandering about on your shoot I would beg as many traps as you can.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Trapping around your feeders. Making a hide and sitting still and using a PCP air rifle. Whispering Death at twenty to thirty yards. fun....drey poking with a TEAM of guns will render the most immediate relief. And gets everyone involved. Open chokes and a maximum load of #7 or if you have them # 7 1/2 or #8 even better. Large spread and no holes in the pattern.

When I did this on my own land I did it single handed with no pole to poke just the old paper "Red and Black" Sellier and Bellot 1 1/4 ounces of #7 into the drey through a multi choke Greener GP using the quarter choke option. Even then in truth a quarter choke is too tight a choke as 1 1/4 ounces of #7 is devastating on any drey at fifteen or twenty yards. Cylinder choke is best if you have it or "skeet" if not.

Quote Originally Posted by tedsalad View Post
    Provided you haven't got the general public wandering about on your shoot I would beg as many traps as you can.
    All pull together to raise the phoenix from the ashe

the best option is basicaly to do as much as you can traping on top of the shooting methords youve mentioned is going to be best just keep the pressure on them

mmm not to sure about the Whispering Death (air rifle) they can be TOUGH little buggers , the last thing you want is the walking wounded performing for the local bunny huggers Christmas dog walk

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    Investing in traps is money well spent. They work round the clock and require nothing more than a daily stroll round your trap line in return. You can shoot all you like -and whether you do it with an air rifle or a shotgun it's an entertaining way to spend some free time- but if you're not trapping you'll never get on top of them.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Trapping without a doubt is the way to tackle the problem.

This link should explain everything you need to know.

Trapping is the most effective method of squirrel control.