Nearly lost my mag

arbjob

Had another fantastic day out with 308Roebuck yesterday. Iwas climbing into a high seat, and noticed my magazine was missing.Felt a bit of a plum! We tracked back and was lucky that it had fallen out whenI topped it up after hanging two Roe up a tree before carrying on my stalk.
It was my first time out stalking with this rifle, a Sako85, purchased second hand off a SD member. I was under the impression that Sako85 mags have a two stage release? Aren’t you supposed to have to push the magin and then press the release catch to get the mag out? On mine if you touchthe catch the mag pings out. You barleyneed to brush past the catch and the magazine ejects!
I don’t think this is normal? And was thinking it could be a75 mag or have something wrong with the catch?
I was so glad we found the mag, and that I Christened my newrifle first time out, as its bang on in every other respect; but I will have totape it up if the magazine keeps popping out like this.
Any one on here had this happen to their Sako 85?

I have an 85, and as you say it's a two stage mag release (push in bottom of mag then press release catch). I also have a 75, which is just a simple catch to release the mag.

Had another fantastic day out with 308Roebuck yesterday. Iwas climbing into a high seat, and noticed my magazine was missing.Felt a bit of a plum! We tracked back and was lucky that it had fallen out whenI topped it up after hanging two Roe up a tree before carrying on my stalk.
It was my first time out stalking with this rifle, a Sako85, purchased second hand off a SD member. I was under the impression that Sako85 mags have a two stage release? Aren’t you supposed to have to push the magin and then press the release catch to get the mag out? On mine if you touchthe catch the mag pings out. You barleyneed to brush past the catch and the magazine ejects!
I don’t think this is normal? And was thinking it could be a75 mag or have something wrong with the catch?
I was so glad we found the mag, and that I Christened my newrifle first time out, as its bang on in every other respect; but I will have totape it up if the magazine keeps popping out like this.
Any one on here had this happen to their Sako 85?

Hi, that's not right at all, I'd have it looked at. With mine you have to press on the front end of the mag and simultaneously pull the latch back to release it. The mag will then drop about an inch allowing it to be pulled clear of the rifle. It works a treat.
CH

Hi, that's not right at all, I'd have it looked at. With mine you have to press on the front end of the mag and simultaneously pull the latch back to release it. The mag will then drop about an inch allowing it to be pulled clear of the rifle. It works a treat.
CH

Same with mine so something not quite right with yours arbjob.

Thanks Guys,

I think I will get it checked out net time I am in Weldon Gun room. Steve may have an idea what sup with it. I was more worried that live rounds could be left in the woods.

I'd be more worried about the cost of a replacement magazine, have you seen the price of them! :lol:

I have a Sako 85 and no mag problems. But I do have a Walther KKJ and having lost one mag I now tape the mag to the underside fo the rifle

Make sure the mag well, action and stock are all aligned properly.
Whenever I've seen issues with mag's not connecting as they should it's been down to not being put back together correctly.

Having lost a mag in the past and spent ages looking for it , I now put a couple of pieces of yellow reflective tape on them .just gives you a better chance of finding it

Having lost a mag in the past and spent ages looking for it , I now put a couple of pieces of yellow reflective tape on them .just gives you a better chance of finding it
if you go that route you are better just painting it in matt orange as that will show to an animal as a tone of grey, a reflective material will just do that? reflect, therefore flash and draw attention to the animal

Back