30.06 ammunition

MartinN

I have a Ruger 77 MK 2 in 30.06. Anyone suggest what factory ammunition fits best. Ammunition needs to be expanding at least 150 grain.

Anyone suggest what factory ammunition fits best.

Ammunition with a headstamp ".30-06" will fit best.

Ammunition with the headstamp ".470 Nitro Express" will not fit at all.

Ammunition with the headstamp ".25 ACP or "6.35mm" will probably fall out of the hole at the other end of the barrel. And the bullet won't be available in anywhere near like the weight you want.

So I avoid both those last two. You'll simply be wasting you money and, in possessing it, probably in breach of your FAC conditions.

Anyway I'll get my coat now. I'm just leaving.

Ammunition with the headstamp ".25 ACP or "6.35mm" will probably fall out of the hole at the other end of the barrel. And the bullet won't be available in anywhere near like the weight you want.

So I avoid both those last two. You'll simply be wasting you money and, in possessing it, probably in breach of your FAC conditions.

class!! But not very helpful. :rofl:

Hornady is one of the best factory loads in my opinion. Nothing wrong with Remington core lockets either, or Federal, Winchester, Norma, RWS, Nosler, Barnes. Hard to go wrong if you stick to the big name brands.

And I thought I was bad! :lol:

A buddy shoots a Ruger 77 and before he reloaded, he shot PMC 180 SP exclusively. I watched him down an elk at 325 yards with it. I'm guessing any quality ammo will do reasonably well.~Muir

Search the forum for A1 decoying, they are selling sellior and bellot 30-06 loaded with premium sierra bullets at a great price alternatively privi partisan are great value. If you are new to the round and centre fire rifles full stop I dont believe you will go wrong with either. I usually home load my ammunition but needed some .308 last year and the privi performed oustandingly and was good value.

Practice off sticks and ignore the jokers.

You have a low post count so maybe new to centre fire rifles, I have not read your intro at this time and hope not to sound condescending , I note you have not done so, but don't refer to the bullet as a head, use the term projectile or bullet and you will dodge any more fools attempting to be witty.

I actually think enfield spares was rather rude in his response. Asking what 30-06 ammunition was a valid question. Ammuntion when calibre is specified is after all what is used in a firearm.

:rofl:
That really brightened my day :D

:rofl:
That really brightened my day :D

Bandit we obviously share a warped sense of humour because I thought Enfield's reply very funny too. Unfortunately it was probably lost on MartinN as a new site member.

Don't be put off Martin stick around for a while mate. You will soon realise that similar questions to yours pop up frequently. The stock answer is always that every barrel is different even from the same maker and that only you can find out what works in your particular rifle by trial and error using whatever you can get your hands on.

Remington corelokts have worked well in my tikka 30-06, and both federal premium and remington have ben fine in my Ruger M77 243. However, in the never ending search for the best you can get accuracy wise and because you can work out the very best for your particular rifle (plus its fun!) I've started home loading, so its nosler 165gn accubonds over IMR4350 now in my 30-06.
In your situation I would try and get hold of a few rounds from different manufacturers and see which groups best in your rifle. stick to the main brands as mentioned above and you'll soon find your rifles favourite. This can be expensive buying a box of each of course so its worth contacting friends who have same calibre and spreading the cost or going on a range day and talk very nicely to other 30-06 owners!
have fun and merry christmas!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned PPU, that would be a good starter.
I seem to be lucky in that PPU shoots as good as it gets in most of the calibres and bullet weights I have used.
There lies the rub, try different bulet weights and you may find one particular round that suits.
My 30-06 using 180gn soft point has done me well in both my Blaser and Browning Maral.

Yes, start with the least expensive ammunition and work up from there: PPU, Sellier & Bellot, USGI or Korean surplus for practice, Remington, Winchester and Federal Classic in 150, 165, and 180-gr.

No need for expensive ammo or bullets in the .30-06.

I gave a Ruger M77 in .30-06 to my nephew for a college graduation present. He shoots what is on sale, with a Bushnell Legend HD 3-9x40, and is thrilled with tight groups. Got a moose last year at 150 yards with one shot of Remington Core Lokt 180-gr RN. ( I find this to shoot well in every .30-06 I have owned or tried.).

Bandit we obviously share a warped sense of humour because I thought Enfield's reply very funny too. Unfortunately it was probably lost on MartinN as a new site member.

Don't be put off Martin stick around for a while mate. You will soon realise that similar questions to yours pop up frequently. The stock answer is always that every barrel is different even from the same maker and that only you can find out what works in your particular rifle by trial and error using whatever you can get your hands on.
Yes I did chuckle,
but seriously you need to try a few different brands until you find what works in your particular rifle, mine doesn't like 150 gr anything but loves 165 gr partitions and 180gr ppu. So you need to get a selection and get trying

I have a 30.06 x bolt and found the federal power shok good, they shot nice consistant groups and have good knock down and stopping power, but then I made the mistake of moving to fusion 150gn and if I was you your better off leaving your rifle at home and throw the bullets at the deer because in my opinion they are crap but that's on another thread,

When I first got my 30-06 I got some Fed 150gr, when I shot my first fallow with it, it blow a 6" hole in both sides of the rib cage, I am now using 165gr minimum. My rifle likes PPU 180gr sp

Back