Thread: Building a smoker cabinet

Building a smoker cabinet

My cold smoke generator arrived today so I thought I would start to build a cabinet for it, I am planning to do hot smoking as well so decided on using a 210 lt steel drum to build it
    after cleaning the methanol out of the drum, very important before you hot cut unless you enjoy blowing yourself up
    first step is to make the first cut then weld on the hinges, this makes it easy to lign up the hinges
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	64672
    Then mark the other 3 cuts and make the cuts, then check the door opens

Views:	64 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	64673
    And closes smoke genarator sits in the drum bottom

Views:	67 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	64674
    I had to leave it at this point as it was well past beer oclock after xmass will add a 2inch gate valve to control airflow and steel rods to hold the stainless racks, also will stiffen up the door to improve the seal, so watch this space

NIce to see this. I'm getting a cold smooke generator for my birthday (Pro Q) and also in the process of building a seperate cold smoke generator with an old aquarium pump. My plan is to build a box from marine ply (as it will have to be left outdoors) with two sections, one for cold smoking and the other fitted with a fan and lightbulbs to make jerky. Hopefully it'll be up and running in the new year and means I can smoke some venison and then dry it out too!

Its the Pro Q that i got if you look on their site they sell it with a cabinet made from cardboard ( not suitable for outside use ) marine ply will be fine for COLD smoking, i got a dehydrator on amazon for less than 50 that makes great jerky, I even took some grapes and made raisins for the grandkids, took ages but it works, just going to buy raisins from now on LOL

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Great to hear about all these projects. I've got one of the cardboard boxes but have been thinking about something more substantial.

I was kindly bought a smoking and curing day at River Cottage, and if you saw their smoker you would realise that it really doesn't matter what the cabinet looks like or is made of!

Dehydrators are excellent - we've done jerky, fruit rolls and all manner of dried fruit. Bananas and pineapple have been the most successful so far!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!