Blaser Barrel: semi weight fluted or match

KB1

Getting one of these but getting a few different opinions on which one. Is the match a lot heavier and longer than the semi weight fluted? I guess my question is, are there any really benefits to getting a match, from a stalking perspective (such as off the bipod)
thanks

I wouldn't bother with the heavyweight barrels

the plain 17mm barrel is more than good enough for stalking

on the other hand I do like the fluted barrels with iron sights but that's purely for aesthetics reasons as they look so good

I have the fluted match barrels on mine in 308, 6.5 and 222 and they are faultlessly accurate

didnt get a chance to shoot a standard barrel one prior to buying mine, I'm sure whatever style you choose you'll enjoy

good luck

phil

I have the fluted match .243 and a semi weight in 7mm for my R8 and a standard .270 on my R93 all will shoot better than I can.
Buy what you like and enjoy it, it's easy to add more at different weights as pocket allows.

I have the fluted match .243 and a semi weight in 7mm for my R8 and a standard .270 on my R93 all will shoot better than I can.
Buy what you like and enjoy it, it's easy to add more at different weights as pocket allows.

How does the weight/balance feel across the 3 of them ?

Blaire
i can swap between the .243 fluted match and the 7mm semi weight and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
The R93 .270 is the success thumb hole and is just sweet to use.

Blaire
i can swap between the .243 fluted match and the 7mm semi weight and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
The R93 .270 is the success thumb hole and is just sweet to use.

thanks. There doesn't seem to be a good enough case for the match. I think I will go for the semi weight fluted (fluted only for aesthetics, i do like the look of it)

I have an r93 with the fluted match in 308 win, balance and weight its ok and I have it about 5 yrs now. If your going to do a bit of walking for your deer then stick with the standard barrel . The match barrel is about 0.5kg heavier and the oal is just short of 64cm vs 56cm .This extra length is fine if your particular caliber is going to benefit from the few extra inches. The downside of the match is when you stick on the the bipod and the mod. The only advantage of a match barrel will be if you intend on doing a bit of target shooting.

Now you're into a whole new debate of what length barrel for .308 and there are probably several previously written threads on here.
you would have to speak to a Blaser dealer for the difference in weight between the mentioned lengths and then the mod you use will change the feel.
i have the ASE ultra on mine as being heavy stiff barrels I didn't feel any change in balance with them and less so if they were shorter.
Then the dent to your wallet and the delivery time for the options.

Now you're into a whole new debate of what length barrel for .308 and there are probably several previously written threads on here.
you would have to speak to a Blaser dealer for the difference in weight between the mentioned lengths and then the mod you use will change the feel.
i have the ASE ultra on mine as being heavy stiff barrels I didn't feel any change in balance with them and less so if they were shorter.
Then the dent to your wallet and the delivery time for the options.

outside of weight, would a shorter barrel not be less accurate over distance than a longer one ? I like the idea of a shorter barrel but conscious that accuracy on distance (say out to 200 yds) could be compromised

outside of weight, would a shorter barrel not be less accurate over distance than a longer one ? I like the idea of a shorter barrel but conscious that accuracy on distance (say out to 200 yds) could be compromised

Why would it be less accurate?

Blaire
I think some larger calibres are better with longer barrels due to powder burn and bullet stabilisation, but for normal stalking with a .308 I wouldn't imagine it would matter out to 250 yards if you had the 58 or 52cm barrel

Back