Roe safe??

SC243

I’ve been thinking about getting a Roe safe, as sold by Bushware for around £70. I only get stalking occasionally and so thought it might be a good solution for keeping a carcase safe from flies for a temporary period.
Seems expensive but looks good in the pictures, has anyone got one or used one?
Would I be better just getting a decent fly net? If so where from?

I bought one last year - 2nd hand but I don't think it has ever been used. I'm willing to sell it for £35 plus postage if you're interested.

I also bought one last year and haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. They are huge - you need a good 9ft of height to be able to hang it, more if you want to be sure that it won't touch the floor once you've got a deer or two in it. (This is the main reason I haven't tried it yet - it's too big to hang in my garage and I haven't cleared the outhouse to check the height and space yet) You probably need a good 4ft diameter space too, obviously with more for the access in front to actually get the deer in the bag.

Seems well made and sturdy, but as I haven't tried it yet, I can't comment on how well it stands up to use...

Pippa

I bought one last year - 2nd hand but I don't think it has ever been used. I'm willing to sell it for £35 plus postage if you're interested.

Hi Moonraker, if Scott doesnt buy that from you I would certainly be interested.

Grant

Why not make your own to the size that you require or can use. All you need is some 15mm blue water pipe, some scaffold netting, and a handful of cable ties. All available from you local DiY shed, Builders Merchants, or friendly builder.

I made up 3 about 4 years ago, two large, you can hang a stag in them not problem and one smaller for hinds or fallow for the cost of a few beers.

ikea sell net curtain muslin type material that is really cheap, comes in big lengths and should do the trick

i used a mozzi net - free with every 6 month tour in sierra leone! (i didnt go to sierra leone, just married a squaddette!!)

have a chiller now

Cheers for the info people, I think the size of it may be an issue for me. Might have to settle on a fly net and a bit of a DIY structure for now.

All things considered, first thing I need is a deer to put in one!!

Then again, better looking at one then looking for one!!

Last edited:
I've had a Roe Safe for about 5 years.....and it's never been used. Sitting in the garage, in the bag, doing nowt but taking up space. I found the mozzie nets better but now use a larder fridge as a chiller.

willie_gunn

Cheers MS, decided to go for one of the deluxe deer bags. At £8.50 if it only gets a couple of uses it's not exactly a disaster!!

Scaffold netting, 2 hoola hoops and a dustbin lid in the bottom. Use the hoops to give the diameter, tack them in with string or sail makers twine.

You could look at one of these mate, a delux deer bag!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELUXE-DEER-BAG-STALKING-RIFLE-SHOOTING-NEW-/120566550166
or:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELUXE-DEER-B...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item3a44633bf0
They are plenty big enough for a roe and fold up small when not in use. Re-usable, washable etc..
You could maybe make some kind of 'hosepipe hoops', a bit like a fishing keep net to keep the mesh off the animal? They are pretty insect proof anyway.
Hope this helps, MS.

I bought one off these a few years ago off him great thing very light gose in my roe sack pocket. use it wash it put it back ready for next time :D

Kevin

Back