Anyone help finding this?

RED-DOT

My dads uncle.

My Dads uncle Jimmy, a local coal merchant and household supplier before during and after the 2nd war was featured in all the national press for his actions i will tell later. What i was wondering was can any of you internet detectives find any archive of the reported morale boosting act?
OK.... Mr James Nimmo, coal & general merchant of St Ninians near Stirling during 1943 was exiting Annfield Park the then home of Stirling Albion Football club where they were playing a home game on a Saturday. A british army open truck passed by carrying about two dozen German POW's about ten of whom were standing up waving a German flag shouting "Deutchland Uber Alles" to the annoyance of the crowd. Said James Nimmo chased the speeding truck for a fair distance and climbed into the back and proceeded to knock any standing prisoners spark out and then burnt their flags on the road. He was a big man with hands "like hammers" and the national press jumped on it doing his coal sales no harm at all. The prisoners landed at the Raploch airstrip just below Stiring Castle and were heading to their camp in Denny 5 miles away.
Can anyone trace a cutting or reference of this event as it's my fathers 90th birthday mid January and i would love to give him a wee reminder of that crazy day?​

Last edited:
Thanks Chris!!
Apparantly Jona Lewie wanted to include the scenario in his Christmas hit!

RD

how about a trip to a local old peoples home and ask if you could chat to some of the residents?

Apart from possibly getting some info, I'm sure you'd make some peoples day just having a chat.... Something to do when it's raining one day?

Just a thought...

WH

RD

how about a trip to a local old peoples home and ask if you could chat to some of the residents?

Apart from possibly getting some info, I'm sure you'd make some peoples day just having a chat.... Something to do when it's raining one day?

Just a thought...

WH

they wouldn't let him out again :lol: someone had to say it!!

My dads uncle.

My Dads uncle Jimmy, a local coal merchant and household supplier before during and after the 2nd war was featured in all the national press for his actions i will tell later. What i was wondering was can any of you internet detectives find any archive of the reported morale boosting act?
OK.... Mr James Nimmo, coal & general merchant of St Ninians near Stirling during 1943 was exiting Annfield Park the then home of Stirling Albion Football club where they were playing a home game on a Saturday. A british army open truck passed by carrying about two dozen German POW's about ten of whom were standing up waving a German flag shouting "Deutchland Uber Alles" to the annoyance of the crowd. Said James Nimmo chased the speeding truck for a fair distance and climbed into the back and proceeded to knock any standing prisoners spark out and then burnt their flags on the road. He was a big man with hands "like hammers" and the national press jumped on it doing his coal sales no harm at all. The prisoners landed at the Raploch airstrip just below Stiring Castle and were heading to their camp in Denny 5 miles away.
Can anyone trace a cutting or reference of this event as it's my fathers 90th birthday mid January and i would love to give him a wee reminder of that crazy day?​
I would start with Stirling Albion and get the date of game. Next stop R/D get a flask and a big pack of sannies and get your self to the big smoke.

National Library of Scotland

There archives have a copy of every newspaper printed.

Back