Dog Eating Grass

Co1

My dog eats big mouthfuls of grass after heavy exercise/runs. It does her no harm, she's not sick and doesn't get the sh*ts, just seems like she can't get enough into her mouth fast enough! Any thoughts? Could it be a lack of fibre in her diet? She's 16 months and has been like this pretty much from day 1.

My lads the same, runs about eats as much grass as he can then becomes sick with it! It's something he's always done, certainly doesn't do him any harm, at 21 months old he's in top condition!

It used to be said it was a sign they need worming. Roughage is a natural wormer.

She fully up to date with workers, but I'll check next time we're at the vets.

She's in great condition so I'm not worried, just find it weird!

My vet says effectively it's just salad, but then he says the same thing about eating horse poo

My vet says effectively it's just salad, but then he says the same thing about eating horse poo

Yah ! You can't beat a bit of horse pooh on a Venison burger can you :rofl:
My dog does love to eat a bit of grass and Deer pooh too, she thinks it's Devine. It's alway a funny one though because sometimes she is obsessed with eating grass or wheat or deer Fewmets, other times she won't eat any of those odd things for week on end. Someone said to me it's to do with their stomachs digestive enzymes. I think it's natures tonic for them !

Kindest regards, Olaf

My boy is exactly the same....doesn't even slow down to eat it, grabbing great gobfulls at full speed !! Doesn't do him any harm although it seems to ferment in his gut a bit and the subsequent gaseous emissions can be somewhat aromatic !!!
He's coming up on six yrs old and in rude health.....vet says not to give it a second thought so I don't.
Regards & Happy New Year to all. Rob.

My Springer has always eaten loads of grass and never seems to bother him, I wouldn't worry about it just let the dog carry on and do worming when needed.

All the best to everyone for the New Year.

Scoby 270

Mine has a spot in the garden where he likes to chow on the long grass...

Always the stuff which looks like the blades on wheat..

Tim.243

They do it to make themselves vomit and bring up the bile in their stomach... It's like Rennie for dogs (other indigestion remedies are available)

i went on a seminar are dr isla fishburn says its for a few reasons , main 1 being a dietry supplement but it can make things a bit messy at the other end , 1 of our dogs tries to run away when the turd is hanging from its arse on blades of grass lol

Thanks to all. I'll not bother about it then. To be fair her turds usually breakaway without the grass hanging on, so she must be chewing it well!!

My Dog eats grass every now and again, and subsequently pukes up a little. Was a little worried myself so asked the vet what was up, and she said that dogs sometimes do it to make themselves throw up, if they find the need to do so, not sure how accurate that is.

i have a springer and Patterdale both eat grass but dont always barff it up doesnt do them any harm if you put grass in there food they will still eat it-just let them get on with it i also give them natural yoghurt 2-3 times a week[a spoonful] this helps there gut.
My Dog eats grass every now and again, and subsequently pukes up a little. Was a little worried myself so asked the vet what was up, and she said that dogs sometimes do it to make themselves throw up, if they find the need to do so, not sure how accurate that is.

i have a springer and Patterdale both eat grass but dont always barff it up doesnt do them any harm if you put grass in there food they will still eat it-just let them get on with it i also give them natural yoghurt 2-3 times a week[a spoonful] this helps there gut.

Awesome thanks, mine always eats up a load of grass on every walk, never done him any harm, just found it a little amusing haha

my 2 do the same eat green grass all the time, some times it sticks coming out the other end, but then he is a dirty bass, the same dog rubs himself all over the stags pizzels at rutting time.

Back