Replicating Norma Factory Loads 6.5x55

pinguisgod

Seeing as my Sako 85 Classic loves the 140gn Nosler Partitions from Norma but the last time I tried to buy some the price per box was more than I have paid for some guns I am planning to replicate these.

Currently don't have access to a chrono so will have to wait for a dry range day to find out the MV of the factory loads in my rifle before starting.

Do factory loads use aftermarket powders or are they custom formulations? Based on a look through the forum, N140, N160, RL22 and maybe IMR 4350 are all candidates but if someone knows what they use out of the factory it would cut down the variables in the experiment.

I have the bullets and plenty of Norma brass, does anyone know what primers the factory rounds would use? Currently have CCI or Magtech both large rifle.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben have you looked at the Norma reload data pages?
You will find it hard to directly replicate Norma ammo as the Norma powders are not imported into the U.K. by RUAG. I do not know if any of the powders they use in factory ammo is know by any other different names and I don't know what primers they use but would have thought that they would have been home brand or from one of the other European company's in the company group and almost certainly not CCI or Magtech which are from the USA and Brazil.

The powder that Norma use may not be canister grade, as in we can't buy it. As for primers, you can often tell what brand going by the colour inside however I've only done this with unfired primers.

Rather than duplicate the Norma load you may be better just asking what people find accurate in theirs and then work up a load as usual.

Thanks guys, for adding a little more logic to my thoughts, Not sure why I thought to base all my research on an ammo box not the Norma Website.

From looking at the quoted MV on the Norma reloading data and the box, the powder they use in the factory load is Norma MRP which seems to be non existent in the UK. Taken from and old post by Sinistral "Norma MRP isn't available any more. The nearest equivalent in burn rate which I've tried out is IMR 7828, followed by Vihtavuouri N165, then Hodgdon 4831 (H4831). These are readily available."

Will have a look for Winchester primers out and about.

Jim may be right that a better question would be what other people are using with 140gn bullets?

I've a 223 tikka that loves Norma 55g vmax factory loaded, so what I did was measured the overall length of the factory round then chronographed it then I decided on vit powder as hannams is 5mins from my house so it's easy to get. I chose a fastish burning powder ''133'' and worked up my loads ''looking for pressure'' till I got the the same speed as the Norma factory rounds then seated all bullets to make the same AOL as the factory round. When I shot them they were only literally a fraction worse then the Norma and I do mean a fraction !!
Not saying it'll work for you but it certainly did for me
Regards
Jimmy

Norma used to have their own Powder and reloading components range. In fact I have an old Norma relaoding manual that I picked up years back at a gun show vastle reduced in price. Most likely because it only lists Norma powders in it. Never mind it is an interesting book with Normas history in and a lot of other useful information.

Seeing as my Sako 85 Classic loves the 140gn Nosler Partitions from Norma but the last time I tried to buy some the price per box was more than I have paid for some guns I am planning to replicate these.

Currently don't have access to a chrono so will have to wait for a dry range day to find out the MV of the factory loads in my rifle before starting.

Do factory loads use aftermarket powders or are they custom formulations? Based on a look through the forum, N140, N160, RL22 and maybe IMR 4350 are all candidates but if someone knows what they use out of the factory it would cut down the variables in the experiment.

I have the bullets and plenty of Norma brass, does anyone know what primers the factory rounds would use? Currently have CCI or Magtech both large rifle.

Thanks,

Ben

I’m still around, and a little flattered to be quoted so thankyou. I’d say that the only way to go about this is to work up a comparison against the box you’re actually using now. Don’t rely on any website including Norma.

Norma are constantly changing their products and what goes in them. The standard Norma .270 130gr SP has altered several times over the years I’ve been using it. It’s my habit always to take factory ammunition apart to see what’s been tweaked.

http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hunting/270-Winchester/Soft-Point/

Jimmy Milne (#7) is using much the same method I am. It's straightforward. You’ve got the right bullets & cases (although manufacturers sometimes use a canellured version of a makers bullet with a slight crimp applied) so just need to find a powder that delivers the same speed at the average charge weight in the factory rounds. That's after working a load-ladder up of course.

Norma used to use their own primers (SF for ‘Super Flash’) which I once had, but these aren’t available any more. Whatever brand they now use are likely to be Standard not Magnum primers. TBH, primers are less significant in the mix than finding the equivalent powder, so if you’ve got CCI or Winchester primers to start with then use them as they're repeatable. I’d suggest keep the seating depth exactly the same until you’ve tried chronographing a few loads BTW.

Norma gets there powders from Bofors as does Alliant for the Reloder series, iow they are near as dammit the same. MRP = Re22 N204= Re19 N203B=Re15 etc.
Use Normas online data, start low and work up.

Ben,

I'm in the same boat....my rifle loves the same ammo...Norma Nos Part 140gr, so I'm also working up loads with 140gr bullets.

COAL of the factory is 2.983" The powder (which looks suspiciously like RL22) weighs an average of 45.4 grains.

I've found that N160 gives good results. I have some RL22 loads made up and ready to be tested when we get a break in this biblical weather! I will report back

Watch this space!

Thanks for the input guys, looks like RL22 is going to be the first powder to try.

Dorsettaff, I will be watching closely, will report my findings too.

Norma MRP is still available, and is the same powder as Alliant RL-22.
I saw both on the shelf this week at Cabela's, and MRP was $46.00, and RL-22 was $28.00 a pound.

RL-17 is close to H-4350, a bit hotter and faster than Norma 204, between 204 and 203-B.
With 129-gr bullets, Norma load data gives MAX LOADS of 41.3 gr 203-B for 2,726 fps, and 45.1 gr 204 for 2,782 fps.
So 43.5 gr RL-17 should fall into about a maximum load for a 130-gr bullet, with a velocity of 2,650 to 2,700 fps.
And 45.5 gr RL-17 would be about max for 140-gr bullet, with a velocity of 2,750 to 2,775 fps from a normal, full length rifle.

Nosler lists the max loads of H-4350 and IMR-4350 as 43.5 grains for the 130-gr bullets.
http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/65x55-swedish-mauser/

Norma 6.5x55mm 140-gr ammunition, velocity, and trajectories with different zero ranges:
http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Hunting/65x55-Swedish-Mauser/Nosler-Partition/

Norma load data. For the 6.5x55 with 140-gr bullets, they will use slower 204 and MRP powders (RL-19 and RL-22).
normapowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/normareloading.pdf

Last edited:
Claret Dabbler, checked my little black book and 46-5g R17 and 140bts gives me 2810,and for 120bts 48g gives me 2910,
this is a high load but theres no pressure signs and the cases are fine. Im using Lapua brass.

Back