Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long till you broke your duck?????

How long till you broke your duck?????

I am booked for my fourth stalk next Sunday and despite seeing plenty of deer i am still a virgin Whats the forum record for newbies blanking that i have to aim to beat?

23 Stalks. Never saw a shootable beast, started to wonder about taking up golf!

Stick at it bud. You will get there soon!

"Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

My first, and to date only stalk was last November, it was for my 40th birthday. 3 days in Kingussie with a day paid stalk on the Glenfeshie estate. The keeper did tell me that there was no guarantee that I would even see a deer letalone kill one. I was very fortunate to shoot 3 red hinds that day. Some people say I paid over the odds for it at 240 but I have to disagree.

As a result of that I can say it was my wife that got me into stalking.... so she can't complain when I go off up to scotland.

Good luck for next Sunday
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Rooster, you may be being saved by lady luck for summat special.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

First time out on an invite at Killin, 3 hour walk, first 2 shots 2 stags now hooked for life.

paid for my first stalk last november ,blanked .joined a syndicate ,new ground to me ,managed my first buck 1st time out alone and was talked through the gralloch on the mobile (read the book ,seen the dvd first) just to be sure.just come back yesterday had another 2 bucks .thats 4 in 3 trips lucky i know stick at it good luck.d

shot one on my third stalk with gadget and adamant had another one since and the mumbler has had one

Do people not classify all the time spent out with a pair of binos just looking at the animals and getting a feel for the land and deer before even lifting a rifle up as 'stalks' ?

If that's the case, then innumerable times. But it all paid off when I got the buck I wanted first time out with the rifle.

I was very lucky....first time out stalking, first shot, dropped a young roebuck. the Gods were smiling on me that evening!

Keep at it Rooster - once you manage to connect, you'll be glad you had patience and perseverance...and then you'll be as addicted as the rest of us!!

Good luck - I'm sure we'll all be crossing our fingers for you....

Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

without naming names YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE I have never shot a beast with a buddy of mine in the two years we've know each other and I count 7 stalks now.

When stalking on our own patches on different days we do pretty well. Out for the first time with DL doing level 2 work we shot 3 in an hour.

It's better to be lucky that skillful.