Ticks

Danger Mouse

Tick season is upon us again and I was wondering what the best anti Tick remedy is? Anyone use frontline or anything like that? I'm fed up of the damn things.

Cheers DM

I just take all my clothes off and take shower immdiatelly after I am back home.

Greg

DM
Presume you mean using Frontline for dogs - that is what I use for mine, for myself a special tick remover!

Tony

Bob Martins Flea and Tick Spot On, its around £6

Saves a £23 hit from your pets place/vets for Frontline Spot On

I use frontline on my two spaniels who attract ticks for fun, it's very good at killing them but sometimes a tick hook is required for removal. Have found other treatments not as good as frontline, also find the frontline has to be applied every month during peak tick season.

I know my dogs appreciate all this trouble, every time they ignore me a disapear over the horizon!!!

My lab has had frontline put on him once a month over the past year. But he still has had some ticks that have not died but where still attached to him. I removed them with a tick o tom is there any thing else but bob martins that i can use

Evolution / human nature ( inappropriate use of products), will naturally mean resistance to products develop. You only have to look at the use of panacur in agriculture, and more worringly ivomectin - resistance to these is widespread.

The best physical way to remove ticks is the 0' Tom green hooks.

Frontline resistance by ticks is now becoming more widespread, interestingly even when frontline first came out, it had to be used off licence to be most effective against ticks, ie 1/2 the time period between applications, dependant on whether you were using spot on or spray versions.

One of the newer products and one that seems to be very effective against ticks is advantix (DO NOT USE ON CATS, AND BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOUR CAT SLEEPS IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH YOUR DOG).

But be aware if the the tick challenge is high no product is going to be 100% effective, 100% of the time. So you are always advised to have a O'Tom handy (O'Toms are also very good for use on human inclined ticks!).

Bob Martins?? I am not interested in product assasination - but if it was that good do you not think veterinary practices would be selling it as a main control product (mass sales of a low cost product still = profit).

Bob Martins?? I am not interested in product assasination - but if it was that good do you not think veterinary practices would be selling it as a main control product (mass sales of a low cost product still = profit).
Il tell you want, il keep helpfull tips to myself in future.

I stated what I had found but obviously that counts for f'ck all.

Il tell you want, il keep helpfull tips to myself in future.

I stated what I had found but obviously that counts for f'ck all.

Perhaps you should keep your offensive language to yourself instead.

I was merely offering my findings/knowledge, no offense was meant to anyone.

Highlander , ever used ivomectin on collie dogs ?

When I mentioned agriculture I meant the use of panacur/ivomec as wormers in cattle and sheep.

What you are possibly referring to is the potentially lethal effect of ivomectin when given to Collies, especially Blue Merles and Bearded Collies.

Ivomectin is used off licence in several species, with the appropriate discussion/permission of owners, but should be avoided in Collies.

ATB

HL

One of the newer products and one that seems to be very effective against ticks is advantix (DO NOT USE ON CATS, AND BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOUR CAT SLEEPS IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH YOUR DOG).

+1 For Advantix. Bob Martins is ok but not as good as Advantix. (i find anyhow for my cockers)

Myself I have no faith in the Bob Martin products as I've seen many animals with them and fleas or ticks. The other common presentation is people putting the dog preparation on cats and poisoning them.

There is very little supporting evidence for any resistance to Fipronil (the active ingredient in Frontline). You will see ticks and fleas on treated dogs but they die quickly. The manufacturer of Frontline guarantees that if used monthly 100% kill of ticks within 48 hours (it takes a minimum of 3 days to transmit Lyme Disease).

If you are worried about ticks then by far the best value product is a Scalibor collar. They come in 2 sizes and protect the dog for 6 months. It's a properly licensed product with evidence behind it, unlike many of these over the counter products.

Advantix is fine but smells nasty and costs you more.

Question for highlander. Do you know if Ivomectin is the trade name for the MSD(merck sharpe and dohme) drug abamectic used to kill ticks etc?

Back