Cuttle fish bone

palmer_mike

Ok, I was at the beach today and found some cuttle fish bones. I picked them up as I thought they might have a use. I know that some people give them to birds to chew, are there any other uses for them? I Don't have any budgies, lol.

These may well be the only sharp things available to us following the next round in reduction of knife crime? :coat:

As far as cuttlefish bone is concerned, it plays a variety of different roles in the eyes of people from different backgrounds.
From the perspective of a practitioner, it is better known as Hai Piao Xiao, an effective Chinese herb that is commonly used in the treatments of gastritis and nocturnal emission;
From the owners of caged birds, budgies, reptiles, and others, it serves as a good supplement that is rich in calcium;

From a dentist, it is a wonderful absorbent that is frequently used to stop bleeding after tooth extraction or nose surgery;
From Jewelers, it is an amazing mold-making material thanks to its heat-resisting, easy-carving and casting nature.
I've seen a plumber use it as a heat shield when soldering a joint, I've seen lock smiths use it by stabbing a key into it to see and match a key profile, I've seen tribesmen use it as a tooth brush
I don't know of any seaside Gun smith uses or recipes that use it, interesting stuff though and for a deer the calcium could attract and be as said a medium for an attractant...

They carve well. I've known them with a side view of a ship carved on them and then the ship and the "sea" painted and sold to tourists. Think a side view of the Queen Mary, Titanic, that sort of thing. Heck, HMS Hood if that takes your fancy.

Last edited:
Young Samoan girls use them for bum bleaching. Why i don't know.

You have soooo made that up!
I've just googled so many variants of what you suggest that my missus will leave me unless I delete my search history immediately!
You are nothing but a bum bleaching fanboy!
MS

I did a search on the internet, not for "bum bleaching", but for "cuttlefish bone rottenstone". To see if it could be used, crushed up, for de-greasing before blacking and for stock finishing. Interestingly someone else had been there and tried it and concluded that the effort compared to the end wasn't worth it. So it isn't a useful rottenstone substitute.

Back