Thread: Monterey Shoot Spain -

Monterey Shoot Spain -

Hi advice please can I use a 6.5 X 55 in Spain for the above, I have some 180 grain bullets?

any advice greatly appreciated.

6.5x55 with a reasonably heavy bullet will be fine for a Spanish Monteria driven hunt, even for boar.

To get the most out of the hunt, it's more important to make sure you have a scope fitted that allows easy acquisition of a close moving target (I prefer 1x to 1.25x so I can shoot with both eyes open like I would a shotgun) AND take a more considered aimed shot at a longer distance (4x to 6x works for me) for static or slow moving game. With that in mind, practice for running game and if using a heavier round than you usually would, know your drops at distance. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

A slight generalisation but due to terrain and hunting culture, southern European monteria hunts tend to have more opportunities for longer shots than northern or eastern European driven hunts, so take shooting sticks too. ...and something to sit on.

George are you asking about the legality of 6.5x55 in Spain or the suitability of the round?
    I read your question as regards legality in Spain for which I have absolutely no idea what the answer is, but would be interested to know.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

With 20 dogs up its clacker if its not downed by a 180gr bullet the dogs will soon catch it. Who makes a 180gr 6.5mm hunting bullet?
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Blaser R93 - Retired now and probably Moshe Dayan's last choice of hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    Who makes a 180gr 6.5mm hunting bullet?
    Perhaps it is a typo? 160 grain is the largest that I am aware of with 6.5mm.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Unless things have changed very recently, there is no issue with visitors bringing 'military' calibre rifles to Spain for hunting purposes, so you'll be fine with the Swede.

Spain has some unusual laws concerning shooting .22 is illegal for everything but .17hmr is legal for anything ? I was told this at the local gun shop who should know,I asked if this included boar and they said yes (which sounds like a suicide mission to me). So your 6.5 is legal but I have not seen anyone using one as they all use either 30-06 or 7mm mag.

Why don't you drop A1 decoys a pm he has a trip to Spain advertised on this site so he should be able to tell you
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Yes legal and yes 180 grain good grain for deer mouflon and Boar .Lots of Swedish us that calibre in Spain to good effect.