Bavarian Mountain hound and Lab cross is anyone working one

Huntingstella

Bavarian Mountain hound and Lab cross is anyone working one, thinking of buying one has anyone been working one what sort of temperment has they got.

what sort of temperment has they got.

That's the prob mate, '*******ising' 2 dogs which have been specifically bred for different purposes means that each pup will be a gamble. If it's an unplanned litter then fair enough (although i would have terminated if possible), but don't encourage numpties to deliberately cross these breeds.

I own Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. There have been a couple of occassions in which people have deliberately cross bred them with labs with disasterous results.

Marc

Had one of these crosses at the begining of the year, "bloody vicious monster":evil:. bit everyone & everything in sight.
Put her indoors off getting a dog again :scared:"try'n every trick i know, sad eyes and all that" :love: still not agreeing YET!!!.:cry:

BE WARNED!!!!!!

Moe..

Hmm, at least there's no danger of fence sitting on this one!

I'm going to be aquiring such a ( I've just got to use the word now ;) ) BEAST, so will have a better understanding of where the previous posters are coming from. Will depend upon how many fingers I retain as to whether I can type an update in due course.

The opinions were quite clear and thats good - whether for or agin.

Easy to misconstrue written commentary and particularly the intended inflection, but it strikes me that comments with descriptors such as ( just for example ) 'idiots' put unneccessary heat into the forum and are a large part of why I see so many rolled eyes when I mention the forum to people. Maybe I'm just oversensitive, but strikes me that the undoubted resource of experience that the forum members represent gets under utilised as people refrain from asking things for fear of derogatory postings.

Hope proposed dog works out for you HS.

Idiots!!! is a word I use for people who cross breed a perfectly good deer dog BMH with any other dog. It has taken hundreds of years to produce such dogs and they are widely used along with other breeds on the continent. Unfortunatly over here we have those start to cross breed, WHY!! give me one good reason, to achieve WHAT may I ask.

Some people may not want to join this site, thats up to them. The question was asked and thats my opinion, and I stick by it.

ATB

Sikamalc ( Bavarian Owner)

Bavarian Mountain hound and Lab cross is anyone working one, thinking of buying one has anyone been working one what sort of temperment has they got.

Ah my request of has anyone got a mix that they work with seems to have been a spring board reaction into name calling without the facts, shame this site sometimes has its moments, but is easy felled by these reactions, i only hope that the site improves, and as for facts, the breeding was an accident, and these cross bread dogs are in demand by deer managers with the FC, and for my part i will be looking forward to working the beast.

And for my parting shot, Administrators are required to stay on the fence and over see the site, and to ensure that there is no abuse by its members.
HS.

Thats right we are, but we are also able to voice an individual opinion if we want, I dont sit on fences ;) If it was an accident fair enough, but the deliberate cross breeding of BMH dogs is ridiculous. I think you will find if you look back on the history of the site that this question has been asked before.

If you have ever worked a BMH and owned one you will know why they are highly regarded. They have the most wonderful temprement, are very loyal to the one person, are unbelievable at tracking and baying wounded deer. As you can see I am passionate about the breed and what they stand for.

Last edited:
My take on this is that, somebody asked a question and got a reply they didn’t like from somebody that had first hand knowledge……………………………………:confused:

Well if you are not prepared for an honest answer just want people to blow smoke up your bum why the hell ask it.:banghead:

As to how the site is run, well you really should go on to some of the other stalking sites that have been/are out there this is by far the best run while allowing honest opinions.

ATB

Tahr

Question was about dogs. Perhaps not the place to bring in issue of tone - my apologies to HS for hijacking his thread from that point of view.

Sika/ Thar, in terms of my post it was not aimed at the information nor castigating the collective experience of any forum member - on this topic nor any other. My direction was the language used. Passion is good and having a stance based upon experience is better - please let us all avoid the ever encroaching middle of the road/ shades of grey.

But views/ opinions only get weakened by poorly chosen words that APPEAR to be derogatory. I am trying to say that - for me, others entitled to have their view - the tendancy on the Forum is for quite strong derisive language. All that seems to do is promulgate argument as opposed to debate and the actual nuggets of information get trampled.

I've only met a few guys off here in person, so limited face to face experience. But people rarely talk direct to others - unless they are annoyed with the person - in these terms and expects to get a positive reaction.

My comment merely seemed to prompt another 'have a go' largely slanted toward the dog issue. That wasnt what I was commenting on. The straight answer, as you say it, had nothing added by the idiot word nor Thars 'UYB'.

As I said, maybe I'm a sensitive wall flower. Maybe you do write as you talk. Thats your perogative. But we agree on one thing at least - the Forum is a useful resource; I think that the tone denigrates that resource.

Sika, you are the boss. The Forum is what you wish it to be. Thank you for the good elements we have.

Oakleaf

Thank you for your well written and concise reply; unfortunately we are not all as literately able. The use of euphemisms and emoticons can help get our points across, although this may offend the more sensitive. Any post I put on the site after a few glasses of red on a Sunday night might be less inhibited than at other times. :oops:

I am not a fan of “saying it like it is” as that is usually a excuses to upset people, but at the end of the day the forum is made up from people from all parts of society so “you” as a individual have to deal with that and look at the content rather than the presentation of there posts.

ATB

Tahr

Oakleaf, Can see where you are coming from as regards the forum but as a Bav owner I also know where Sikamalc and others are coming from. Breeds like the BMH have been developed over years to produce a top class deer dog. In the eyes of persons who appreciate the dedication of the persons who developed the breed into what it is, anybody who by intention or error (which can be corrected) seeks to alter the breed by cross breeding with an inferior breed (and I use this phrase in terms of tracking and baying) is at very least a fool and in my eyes the practices of doing so should be discouraged by not purchasing the product of this cross breeding.

There are many people within this country who dedicate much time and effort into promoting and developing breeds such as the BMH. Our standing in the eyes of the BMH world is judged by this work and the way we responsibly "handle" the breed. It can be devastating when we are seen to be "messing around" by cross breeding etc.

IMO BMHs are expensive dogs to purchase and the gene pool in the UK is not extensive and so persons who would wish to incorporate the abilities of the BMH are taking to cross breeding with other breeds such as labs. You MAY end up with a workable dog but you will not end up with the potential from a pup bred from good, pure BMH parentage. My Bav is true to his breed in all respects your cross bred BMH/Lab is a gamble.

Last edited:
Had one of these crosses at the beginning of the year, "bloody vicious monster. The way a dog behaves says a lot about its up bringing and if an individual dog is savage this should be no refection on other dog,s. Might i just say that the idiots that cross dogs are the reason we have the dogs we work today Sika Malc your dog will be a mix of quite a few breeds and with time and effort they have made a good tracking dog. Along the way there will have been a lot of waist and some very good dogs. Is THE BMH finished yet not a chance and even the KC will let you out cross to improve the breed .This also goes for the GWP that thar has is it everything every one would want not at all and there will be improvements made along the way. We need the pioneers in dog breeding and training so that we can sit back and use there hard work. Lets not get upset because we believe our dogs are i some way superior because they are so called pure. I wish you well with your Lab x BMH and hope that you get the best of both dogs as this can be the case.

Did someone say 'Buying' a BMHxLab? Surely if this was an unplanned litter then they should be given away to good homes? if it was a planned litter then...well...that has been covered already. By selling these pups it only promotes the problem. I'm not being a dog snob here, I have seen some great mongrels, my problem is with those who mess around with breeds for profit. JC

Going to think twice about answering threads from now on.

Huntingstella, asked a question and i thought the answer i gave was an honest fact concerning the experience i had with the pup. Now the thread has gone on to people calling others "idiots" and such like.

Moe..

Thar

Thank you for your post. Appreciate what you say and the latter way you said it.

I'd exchange some erudition for better savvy on all things IT - this my third attempt to reply!

I believe the forum is a great resource, just personal view that the value is detracted if something comes over aggressively. It doesnt matter how well or poorly written a comment is as long as the gist comes through. But believe that can be done without the heat that seems so readily to creep in. Thats not entirely an issue with SD - as others that frequent internet forums will likely have seen. Whether someone agrees or not isnt an issue - thats part of the point of having such an information exchange. Equally regards passion and emotion - virtually endangered species these days!

I have picked up a lot from the thread - things I was not aware of and in truth hadnt thought about that much. Much to chew on now. Those points are what's important to me.

I agree the emoticons ( another thing I learned on the thread ) help greatly. Only confused as to whether that was what Thar used or if it was a 'post red wine' snap shot:D

Going to think twice about answering threads from now on.

Huntingstella, asked a question and i thought the answer i gave was an honest fact concerning the experience i had with the pup. Now the thread has gone on to people calling others "idiots" and such like.

Moe..

I refered to the term idiot for those that deliberatly set out to cross a BMH with any other breed for monetary gain, and in the vain hope that they are going to produce a better dog than the two breeds they have mated. It was not aimed at any individual on this site :rolleyes:.

Again I ask the question WHY do it? anyone know a good reason ?

ATB

Sikamalc

Yes there are many a good reason why to good dogs get crossed sika .Like i said before is the BMH a finnished product ? I think not or every one would have one. Each to there own but opinions buy people that have dogs and find them good at a job seem stronger than the ones who would like the dog to do differing jobs while still being able to do what they were bred for. Mongrels cross breds out crosses inbreeding line breeding back breeding. Dose any one know what dogs went in to making the BMH or the GWP HWV all popular dogs with deer stalkers at the moment.
I will also say that the dogs are not to far back in there pedigrees.

Afraid I do not agree. Dogs such as the BMH, Hanovarian, GWP, etc have been bred over countless years for a specific job. In the case of the BMH it has been fine tuned to blood spoor and bay wounded deer/game.

The art of tracking is taken to a much higher level on the continent, and is only in its infancy over here in the UK. A good BMH can track a litre of blood, 24hrs old over a 2k, that I believe is the standard looked for. In the short space of time the BMH have been available in the UK, they have and are becoming very much sought after as they have the most wonderful temperment and tracking skills. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would deliberatly want to cross one with another breed, in particular a Labrador. As a breed Labrador's are extreamly good dogs for general field work, retrieving etc, and in some instances make very good deer dogs. However the BMH is a breed specifically bred for blood spooring and tracking deer, and cross breeding the two, to me is wrong.

We have already seen from previous posts that the cross breeding has produced a dog that is not to be trusted, someone called it a BEAST. Well why pay money for a dog that is going to be a problem and not forfill the requirements for you? Someone asked a question on here and I gave a straight answer. And I stick by it!!

ATB

Sikamalc

Back