Gralloching , when did it start ?

TikkaFan

Hi

As gralloching is not practised world wide , does any know when it started in the UK and where it originated from?, since time began or recent years? before cable ties were invented no doubt ;)

what do you mean 'its not practiced world wide'? most folk I know tend to remove the innards from an animal before doing anything else.......

Rather that trying to take the whole ensemble out in one go Ive seen guys open up the stomach in situ ,not that different to gutting a rabbit, both in the US and NZ . I was taught to cable tie both ends and lift the lot out .
Search youtube for gutting a deer as opposed to gralloching a deer, you will see many methods.

Rather that trying to take the whole ensemble out in one go Ive seen guys open up the stomach in situ ,not that different to gutting a rabbit, both in the US and NZ . I was taught to cable tie both ends and lift the lot out .
Search youtube for gutting a deer as opposed to gralloching a deer, you will see many methods.

Gralloching can mean removing the stomach/green waste or the whole lot top to toe so to speak....... still the same principal, it needs to be out, and I suspect you are getting hung up on terminology perhaps? everyone removes it in one shape or form

From my point post #7 shows that you don't have to spend your hard earned cash on a vast array of equipment you need not have....

One small sharp knife...does just fine.

Tim.243

In the states a lot of guys use the gutless method.

Cheers
Richard

yes but in the states they often dress a carcass out in the field, which isn't what I would say is "normal", more necessity if they have a long extraction or the beast is simply too big to move. On the whole, animals, be they wild, farmed, game or whatever, (clearly not game birds/hares necessarily) get eviscerated as part of the earliest stages of dressing/butchery.

Gralloching can mean removing the stomach/green waste or the whole lot top to toe so to speak....... still the same principal, it needs to be out, and I suspect you are getting hung up on terminology perhaps? everyone removes it in one shape or form

I think the term gralloching generally is only used in the UK and appears to refer to the British way of doing it , as Devon Deer shown the guts dont actually have to be touched and I`m sure that method works well.

I think the term gralloching generally is only used in the UK and appears to refer to the British way of doing it , as Devon Deer shown the guts dont actually have to be touched and I`m sure that method works well.

Really depends on the outcome you're after, if you want to sell the meat to a game dealer you won't be doing it like that! And I'd far rather take my time with an animal hanging in the larder than hacking them up in the field......

The word is an Anglicised version of the Gaelic so presumably originated in the Highlands of Scotland.
I would guess bought to the lowlands of England by Queen Victoria:british:

Essentially it reduces the weight of the beast, helps cooling and prevents spoiling the flesh.
It can then be recovered to the larder by pony, machine, or the strong fit stalker.:oops:

Tikka fan, I agree with you that it is not practiced world wide. There is absolutely no rush in Africa to gralloch the animals, and one PH reckoned that they could easily be left overnight. Imagine the consternation in UK if that was dared to be mentioned. I always think it's peculiar but that's the way of it out there - everywhere I've been in the last ten years.

Gralloch, grallock, paunch, gut, eviscerate, disembowel, drawn, etc....
Various methods and clearly numerous names, but they all end up doing roughly the same job which has undoubtedly been going on since we've had pointy teeth and been near the top of the food chain!
MS

Back