Hi, my names John I'm a countryside management student and as part of my course I have to complete a research project.
As I knew nothing about it I went with mammal management (I'm specifically looking at wild boar and deer) and the methods involved; therefore the best source of information is clearly folks like yourselves.
So, I've created a questionnaire (based in part on the methods I've come across in my research so far) and would be very appreciative if some of you would be willing to fill it out. I'm specifically looking for people who are actively involved in deer management (as opposed to hobbyists) and number control. Ideally as many trade members as possible.
Participation is anonymous and the completed questionnaire will only be read by myself and those responsible for the marking of my work.
The questionnaire is below; simply copy and paste it into a private message to me and fill out your answers at the dash symbol ( - ) or delete as appropriate (YES/NO).
If you are happy for others to see it feel free to post it below (Ideally as well as in a private message) as it would be great to get a discussion going.
Any question, please ask. And if anyone wants to point out any stupid mistakes or faux pas I've made, please do I'm here to learn.
Thankyou, please enjoy (see it as an opportunity to express any ideas or frustrations you may have).
· What was/is your role in Deer Management?
· What work did/do you carry out?
· Is the deer control you're involved in going well? YES/NO
-What, if anything, would you do different?
-What problems have you encountered?
· What are the main reasons for controlling deer on the land you manage?
· How do you use the geography, vegetation and water features on the land you manage to manage deer?
- Are any of these features managed or created to aid deer management? YES/NO
· Are any of the deer you cull tested for diseases that might be spread to livestock? YES/NO
· Would you like to see the use of deer fertility control and sterilization on the land you manage? YES/NO
-Please explain your answer.
· Are Deer Numbers being effectively controlled in the UK? YES/NO
-Can you explain why you think this?