what binoculars

rusty138

Hello,
Can someone recommend a half decent pair of binos, I have around 800 to spend.

Your recommendations appreciated

Rusty.

Hello,
Can someone recommend a half decent pair of binos, I have around 800 to spend.

Your recommendations appreciated

Rusty.

This may seem a bit of a daft question, but what are you planning to use them for? Woodland stalking or open hill? Will they be just for stalking or for other interests such as birdwatching?

If woodland stalking I would suggest 7 or 8 power are the ones to focus on (pun intended) whereas if you're mostly going to be spending time on the Hill then consider 10 power.

With that budget you're certainly in the realm of picking up either a top flight secondhand pair or new from one of the up and coming makers.

Take a look at Macleod's list of s/h optics: http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER S_H STOCK LIST.pdf

They have some Leica 7x42's or 8x56's that would still leave you plenty of change, up to Swarovski SLCs 8x42 HD's at £95 over your budget.

Ace Optics would be another to have a look at for s/h, as of course are the classifieds here. I've seen Leicas, Swaros and Zeiss recently on sale within your budget here on SD.

Whilst I've not used them, there are many recommendations for Minox. Their HG's seem very competitively priced and within your budget, see for example: Minox Binoculars | Clifton Cameras I see Clifton also have some s/h HG's (though 10x rather than 8x) as well as some Leica Ultravid 8x42's within your budget.

What I would suggest is going to a dealer or a Game Fair and trying a few different pairs first. Bird reserves are another good place, though they don't always offer such a wide choice. Binos will be the most used item in your stalking kit, so finding a make/model where the ergonomics suit you as an individual is important. When you ask for recommendations then, as with rifles and scopes, you will find that most people recommend the binos they currently have. I don't have any problem with that, but I do find binoculars are one area where time spent on research is time well spent. Ergonomics are very important and shouldn't be overlooked.

Being in the fortunate position of having several different makes of binos in my possession it is remarkable how some feel more comfortable than others. I've had two pairs of s/h Optolyths that I just can't get on with, whereas the Zeiss Jena Notarems are a breeze. Steiner might make nice glass, but I just couldn't live with them.

Personally I would recommend Swaro's. Had my 8.5x42 EL's for many years and still can't really fault them, other than I've lost lots of objective covers as they fall off (to be fair, Swaro have sent me free replacements). The Swaros just feel "right" in my hands. I also have a pair of Leica 8x40's to compare them with and, to my earlier point, there is little if anything to choose between them other than ergonomics and a slight colour cast. I find the Leica's - to my eyes - give a true colour image whereas the coatings on the Swaro's enhance the greens slightly more and help the image "pop out".

With Swaro you can rely on superb optics, great service (if needed - mine never have other than the replacement covers) and excellent resale value (if you decide to sell - I never have).

Last edited:
+1 for second hand Swarovski EL's. I've had my 8.5x42 for nine years. Fantastic glass and are very comfortable to use. The only downside to them is, as Willie_gunn pointed out, the objective lense covers are constantly disappearing...

+1 for second hand Swarovski EL's. I've had my 8.5x42 for nine years. Fantastic glass and are very comfortable to use. The only downside to them is, as Willie_gunn pointed out, the objective lense covers are constantly disappearing...

Which is why I bought the cover from monarch on here and also adds a little more protection.

Ei use a pair of Steiner 8x56 for woodland stalking and in the high seat I put up with the extra bit of weight for the better optics., for on the move I have a pair of leupold 10x50 tactical or some minor 8x42 and they do the job fine the steiners and the minor I got from swillington sand they have been mint.

Swarovski , Leica and zeiss would be my list

I use Leica RF HD myself and couldn't be happier

Swarovski EL's are well worth looking out for I've had the 10x42 for years unbeatable in my opinion with the best back up service going should you need it.

Just as there is no one rifle or scope for every quarry and hunting situation, there is no single binocular which will cover them all. So you have to assess how you will use them. The best way to do that is to look at what your gamekeepers, guides and hunting companions are using when and where you are likely to hunt.

Don't judge them from specs on paper, and don't just compare the glass. Handle them, with your bare hands, and with your hunting gloves, with glasses or sunglasses, and with naked eyes.

An 8x42 is a good compromise of power, brightness, size and weight.

10x are best when need to be used from a position where you can rest them and steady them.
7x50 will be much more bright, useful for pre-dawn and at-dusk scanning.
Smaller roof prisms like the Zeiss 8x42 and Minox 8x43 are good if you are on the move, and using them in woodlands.
In decent light, an 8x32 is all you need, easier to carry, and you will use them more - and you don't need to spend over $200 USD.

Porro prisms are bulkier and heavier, but give a lot of quality for a lot less money than roof prisms, and the weight is good for steadiness in the higher magnifications, like 12x, 15x and 20x ( special uses like The West in the USA). 7x50 porro prisms are a great value for hunting from a blind or high seat.

Last edited:
I've owned and used many pairs of mid to high range binos. I have discovered that modern roof prism binoculars are predominantly made for the bird watching market (which is much bigger than you might expect - and where they are status symbols and justify the huge prices). Hunters and stalkers are a much smaller secondary market that tends not to justify it's own designs.

The main design differences are:

Birdwatchers want to be able to have both normal and very close focus capability and good edge of field of view sharpness for looking at small birds in detail at short distances - which requires complex occular lense designs that cost a lot more and due to the extra lenses and their air to glass surfaces reduce light transmission and increase internal reflections giving ghosting images and veiling glare. This capability also requires a rapid centre focus capability. True colour perception is essential. Stylish designs and finish are often favoured at the expense of ruggedness and practicality. High power often favoured (8x or 10x most popular depite close viewing needs as they want detail). Roof prefered to Porroprism due to form factor even though Roof prisms are a design compromise. Roof prisms have been marketed as modern and cutting edge for many years now.

Stalkers/hunters/military do not need close focus so can have designs with less compromise that use simpler ocular lens systems so can have reduced glare, better light transmission, less ghost images but also importantly can have a better depth of view (i.e. without refocusing, the distance between the closest object and furthest object seen in focus is larger). The depth of view and width of the field of view is also improved by using lower power binoculars with 6x, 7x and 8x being the best choices. Constrast is favoured over true colour perception. Being stylish is a secondary concern but as they may suffer a harder life than birdwatchers binos they must be water resistant, have full rubber armour and be light enough in weight. The military and maritime users favour individual eye focus Porroprism binoculars as top quality ones are mostly better (in all the ways described) than the most expensive roof prisms, can be made fully water resistant, fully serviceable (no glued in lenses) and cost half as much. The individual eye focus binos (up to 8x magnification) are usually focused once by the user for mid distance and then not touched again with approx. 50 meters to infinity in focus at all times. This uses the eyes natural adaption so those over 65 years old may find minimum focus without adjustment could be more than 50 meters (maybe 100m). Other than easier and faster handling, in low light conditions the binos will already be in focus, something that can be difficult to achieve in the dark with high power centre focus binos.

Lastly, modern binoculars tend to have much better coatings than old ones. New technology has really improved performance so avoid binos produced before the 1990's even though they may be excellent designs and build quality, the transmission and glare supression is just not as good. Also good Poroprism bino's, especially with individual eye focus are not actively marketed to consumers and are now hard to find even though all militaries still use them. It is still possible to buy one of the best, Swarovski Habicht 7x42 in green rubber armour. They are ugly but extremely light weight, tough, come with a 20 year warranty and whilst they have a slightly reduced field of view (due having small prisms to reduce weight and internal reflections) they are optically as good if not better than anything else out there especially in low light. They cost about £650 new in centre focus (which you will set and forget) or if you search around you can get new military contract made versions with individual focus and with or without milrad graticle (avoid any with lasor protection filters as they reduce visible light transmission by over 10%). A company in Holland called MSS Defence can order new individual focus ones from Swarovski direct (including the smaller 8x30w rubber armoured version). Also for extreme low light and superb optical and build quality but very heavy (high seat hunting) try the last of the truly great Zeiss Porros, the 7x50 BGAT Marine (issued by the Royal Navy). Look for new ones at discount. These are fully sealed and nitrogen filled even though Zeiss recently started saying they are not on their website (I emailed Zeiss UK).

if you must buy roof prisms I recomend you try (in the following order) a pair of Leica ultravid 7x42 or 8x42, Various Swarovski SLCs 7x or 8x are good and also many Zeiss models 7x or 8x and marketed as being for hunting. Check lens coating for damage on second hand ones. Try not to get suckered by bird watchers bino reviews and shop salesmen even though they might make interesting and technical arguments in favour of 10x Swarovski ELs and these will of course have wow factor when you look through them.

Last edited:
Back