JB Cleaning Compound

stu47

Hi all,

I have noticed that the final third of my barrel (Tikka M55 .308) is substantially tighter when running a jag through. I have tried Forest Bore Foam and Pro Shot Copper Solvent 4 several times and left them in the bore for several hours at a time to remove any copper fouling - all to no avail.

Today, amongst other items, I bought some JB Bore Cleaning Compound but now I'm unsure weather to use it or not. I know when using it to never exit the muzzle as it will round it off and destroy the crown but I would like to know any recommendations or experiences with this compound from others?

I have read on the web that some Tikkas of this age may have had a tight final third towards the muzzle as this was a trial for increased accuracy that never caught on - but this was restricted to .22LR and never .308 apparently.

Any thoughts, experiences or advice will be gratefully received!

I should add that during loads development I found Lapua Brass, BR2, 43.5Gr of RL15 and a SMK 175 to shoot 0.48" 5 Shot groups but always had the occasional flier to ruin the group (which after several groups I now wasn't me).

Thanks in advance gents.

I have used JB Bore Paste off and on for 40 years and never ruined a barrel. I seldom clean copper from my barrels so I have not used it except in extreme cases. I prefer to use an electronic copper remover; faster, easier, no scrubbing.~Muir

The crown of a rifle is a lot harder to damage than seems to be the conception of a lot of shooters.

Of course it can be chipped or likewise damaged by serious knocks but even fairly vigorous cleaning regimes would take some considerable time to have significant effect on the tough types of steel used in barrel manufacture.

does the barrel generally produce quite a lot of copper fouling?...I'm wondering if the tightness you're feeling (fnek) is some micro-pitting towards the muzzle. I've used the bore paste on problem barrels and have found it works well.

Thanks for the input gents - I took the plunge and used it as directed. I ended up repeating the process (3 times in total) and the difference is massively noticeable - no more tightness toward the muzzle and a constant resistance felt from chamber end to muzzle = most impressed! The bore now literally "shines" and the rifling looks sharp - cant wait to shoot it again and see if accuracy has improved!

Does make me wonder if all these potions designed for ease of use for cleaning copper and fouling actually work - I suppose on a match grade barrel they do but the amount of crap that came out of my barrel shows they don't do a lot on a 32 year old barrel!

Thanks again gents.

Thanks for the input gents - I took the plunge and used it as directed. I ended up repeating the process (3 times in total) and the difference is massively noticeable - no more tightness toward the muzzle and a constant resistance felt from chamber end to muzzle = most impressed! The bore now literally "shines" and the rifling looks sharp - cant wait to shoot it again and see if accuracy has improved!

Does make me wonder if all these potions designed for ease of use for cleaning copper and fouling actually work - I suppose on a match grade barrel they do but the amount of crap that came out of my barrel shows they don't do a lot on a 32 year old barrel!

Thanks again gents.

Perhaps they would do if people actually cleaned the bore instead of just having a go. You only have to read the rifle cleaning thread to realise how neglected most rifles are in the UK by the look of it. Chances are that you have just given this rifle it's first real clean?

Only you can answer that question and also the question as ot if your cleaning regieme is up to snuff or not. Happy to hear you got it sorted.

Perhaps they would do if people actually cleaned the bore instead of just having a go. You only have to read the rifle cleaning thread to realise how neglected most rifles are in the UK by the look of it. Chances are that you have just given this rifle it's first real clean?

This is the truth...I'm one of those sad gits that actually enjoys keeping his rifles in good, clean and accurate condition. It always amazes me how much crud can be extracted from one of my mate's supposedly "clean" rifles :eek:

I use all cleaning products as per the instructions after each and every firing so I think my cleaning regime is up to scratch. Its just that some cleaners are better than others and some are just plain useless and a waste of money.

Thanks for the replies/ reassurances guys.

I managed to get out today and shoot the rifle using ammunition all reloaded at the same time (consistent - Lapua Brass, BR2, 43.5Gr of RL15 and a SMK 175). Here's a photo of my best group shot last time I went out pre-JB Compound:
Pre JB.jpg
The next photos where taken today after using the JB Compound:
Post JB 1.jpgPost JB 2.jpg
Not the best groups I've ever shot with this rifle/ ammo combination but the difference is definitely noticeable showing JB works!

Thanks all for the replies - cheers.

I managed to get out today and shoot the rifle using ammunition all reloaded at the same time (consistent - Lapua Brass, BR2, 43.5Gr of RL15 and a SMK 175). Here's a photo of my best group shot last time I went out pre-JB Compound:
View attachment 65532
View attachment 65533View attachment 65534
Not the best groups I've ever shot with this rifle/ ammo combination but the difference is definitely noticeable showing JB works!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

View attachment 65532
View attachment 65533View attachment 65534

Nowt wrong with those groups, you've got a good rifle there

Back