Trip to Skye

Mannlicher_Stu

Just got back from a family campervan trip on Isle of Skye going over Rannock Moor to Glen Coe their was Red Hinds dead on both sides of the road, must have seen 5 all large beasts , makes you wonder what state the vehicles must be in to kill outright an animal so close to the road.

Saw a few hinds on Skye especially around the Cullins and a few at Fassfern overlooking Loch Eil nr Fort William and I nearly ploughed into a herd of about 60 wild goats on the way back going up to Loch Ness.
Interesting few days

I take it from your post these animals were obvious rta, & not due to bad weather over winter?
Correct or at least I think they were not a lot of sign on the carcasses of actual impact injuries as i recall but i doubt their would be any other reason for them to expire at the side of the road, Must be RTA when they come down to lower ground during the night, what a waste:rolleyes:

Hi, Folks
I was in Glencoe early last month on a family holiday just after the heavy snowfall, staying at the "Clachaig Inn".There were a fair few deer that had come down off the hill because of the bad weather.In fact there were a couple of ten pointers on the hotel lawn quite happy to have their photo taken from about thity yards.

These will most probably be rta's. That stretch of road has been like that since I was a kid. The deer can also be seen there at all times of the year and not only during the harder months.

As Jingzy says, RTA's. There are about 10000 deer collisions in Scotland every year (never mind those not reported) and about 70 serious injuries to people and it's a growing problem.

We do a Tesco raid every six weeks or so from Skye to Inverness and either going or coming back in the dark is a nightmare, whether you go the Achnasheen way or the Cluanie way. I never driven either of those roads without seeing a fresh carcass from the night before.

And don't even talk about Ranoch Moor!

Hope you enjoyed Skye!

Thatl be our hinds then ;)
I pitched on the forestry provided car park at Fassfern where they have provided forest walks and appears to be a venison collection building or cool room and forest operations building at the side of the road.

Went for a evening stroll up the road to the right and side of the river into the estate when encountered a nice hind feeding out on an open ride on the right. stood watching her for quite a while until she eventually got wind of us and legged it.

That is our larder and the office is no longer in use, we will be turning it into a bothy for a seasonal ghillie.

I live just opposite the larder down the lane.

Small world!

Im surprised I didnt bump into you.

That is our larder and the office is no longer in use, we will be turning it into a bothy for a seasonal ghillie.

I live just opposite the larder down the lane.

Small world!

Im surprised I didnt bump into you.

Dan we only pitched up for one night its wasnt you bye any chance that was behind a young child driving a mini atv going up the road giving instruction was it;)

Back