tenant farmer

Hi everybody I might have the chance of picking up some more ground to control wild boar on, only problem is the farmer is only a tenant farmer and not sure if he's holds the shooting rights, if he doesn't own the shooting rights is it legal to shoot the same as rabbits because it's a bit of a grey area about what boar are classed as?

Hi everybody I might have the chance of picking up some more ground to control wild boar on, only problem is the farmer is only a tenant farmer and not sure if he's holds the shooting rights, if he doesn't own the shooting rights is it legal to shoot the same as rabbits because it's a bit of a grey area about what boar are classed as?
The only person that can answer that is the tenant,landlord or land agent......

if he doesn't own the shooting rights is it legal to shoot the same as rabbits because it's a bit of a grey area about what boar are classed as?

Whatever the kind of 'grey area' you want to work within I don't believe you'll find any reference to wild boar being classed as vermin. ;)

The majority of farm tenancies exclude sporting rights and as already said I very much doubt boar will be classed in the same way as rabbits. You need to get your farmer to get you permission to shoot boar IN WRITING from his landlord or landlords agent,

If its anything to do with the Lydney est then they hold all the shooting rights. I was called to a privately owned property which was once owned by the Lydney est and they had reserved all the shooting rights for the land so its always best to check.

Had a similar problem recently and the ONLY mammalian vermin you can control are rabbits under tenants rights if the 'sporting rights' which include fishing, reside elsewhere. Fox and hares are specifically excluded. Boar are non-native and so remain 'unclassified' in respect of the law. The law is unequivocal about tenats rights and if challenged in court the judge will, 99% of the time find in favour of the owner of the sporting rights and ignorance is no defence. All you need is a keeper with an attitude and you will be in an 'armed trespass' situation if taking tenants rights as far as shooting boar. Find out who owns everything first, or its a major risk.

Written permission of the agent/owner is the only way you can be sure of no problems , a copy of a letter to the tenant allowing him and his employees/agents to carry out wild boar control would also suffice.

be interested to see what the "farmer's defence" impact might be on the legality of controlling feral pigs (are they wild? or are they released?)

usually referred to as "wild boar/Feral pigs" in HO documents and FAC quarry listings to distinguish the fact that most wild boar are nothing of the kind but released, domesticated boar

Back