Pistols & humane dispatch

sauer

hi folks

quick one for you..

i know nowt bout pistols other than they are banned ....end of thats all i know...even then i bet there are excemptions or the like for humane dispatch of deer etc

anybody on here know more could enlighten me regarding laws calibres ( possible to get .22lr pistol ? using same ammo as your rimmy?) etc?

ive come across a few road kills ( driving behind etc) this year that required the knife and it can be quite "graphic" for the people sitting in their car 20 yards away etc etc.

forgive my ignorance but its got me thinking

sauer/ paul

Your first point of contact should be the FLO, some will authorise others will not. I believe up until the handgun ban, there was no "Humane dispatch" pistol although I may be wrong. I would think if you can show evidince of "Good Reason to possess" then you might be lucky. If you are just on about, driving down the road and I saw an RTA involving a wild animal (Deer), I don't think they would be forthcoming with the pistol. If you are on a RTA call out register, this might help.

TJ

I havn't asked for a pistol, but I did ask for "humane dispatch" to be added to my FAC conditions and have had to give documentary eveidence that I needed it. I havd to provide letters from the landowners who i performed this service for, I should have photographed and documented each one, but was in such a rush to put the animals out of their misery that it never occured to me at the time.

There have been several noted examples in the sporting press about professional stalkers being granted .44 magnums etc. Most slaughtermen for the local hunts seem to use a cut down .410 in a leather holster. I have used my 6.5 three times, but bought an old folding .410 especially for the job in case I was on hard ground, i have had all my rifles conditioned for "Humane Dispatch" too.

Last edited:
As an aside, I know someone whose FAC came back with his .32 revolver for 'human dispatch' - a slightly scary consequence from a mislaid vowel...:eek::)

There was a guy in the Shooting Times that took his FLD to the high court to get a .44 magnum for humane dispatch of wild boar and won he allready had a .357 but though he needed something bigger.
Sikadog

Hi Sauer..

You can still have one of these fella in varying calibres..

this one is a .357

Great fun on the skittles ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not shown in the picture is the brace that gives it the required minimum length..

Edited to add this is not for humane despatch

Terry

Last edited:
If you can prove reasonable grounds there is no reason not to be granted a pistol for humane destruction . There are captive bolt guns available, but the problem is, not all wounded animals are just going to lie there and let you put it against its head! I Know two stalkers who have .357/.38 for this and huntsman who has a .32. The Guy who won the recent court case written about in ST, Savas, also sells them, don't have his contact number anymore but I think he is from the London area

A mate of mine who's a farmer has a .22lr for humane dispatch but i think when the pistol ban came in for him to be able to keep it they drilled a hole crossways through the muzzle end of the barrel and removed the sights.:eek:

I looked into this as well at one point and was told the first step would be a full alarm system for my house with the cabinet wired in- they accepted that I had good reason working with potentially dangerous livestock all day but wouldn't approve it for humane dispatch on deer- it was tempting but the cost of the alarm on top of the pistol ran into the thousands.

ive come across a few road kills ( driving behind etc) this year that required the knife and it can be quite "graphic" for the people sitting in their car 20 yards away etc etc.

You would be extremely unwise to use ANY lawfully possesses weapon, pistol shot gun or otherwise, in the circumstances I think you are describing.

To just happen to be driving along, see a road casualty, and get out and shoot it is asking for trouble!

I would only ever do so at the specific request of a police officer and either ask him or her to make a signed note of it in their pocket book or pass the loaded weapon to them with some appropriate guidance to do the job themselves.

or pass the loaded weapon to them with some appropriate guidance to do the job themselves.
? would this not bring you into conflict as regards a rifle not registered to plod, also loaded, & also loaded with expanding?

I once used a .44 special Rossi 720 a few years ago here in Germany to dislatch a badly shot (not by me I might add) wild boar from 2 metres and it took 4 shots and still needed a final from another hunter with a 6.5x57R. So go for .44 mag or .357 mag they work better.
I carry 2 buckshot 12Gs in my back pocket now for the next time.
Martin

Apparently not as all police officers on duty, whether in uniform or not, are exempted from the Fireams Act requirements to possess or use a weapon and ammunition in the course of those duties.

This had odd consequences in being fatal to a prosecution some years back of some individuals charged with unlawfully allowing undercover police officers to possess and use firearms and ammunition at a shooting range!

A mate of mine who's a farmer has a .22lr for humane dispatch but i think when the pistol ban came in for him to be able to keep it they drilled a hole crossways through the muzzle end of the barrel and removed the sights.:eek:

Nazis! Such a stupid idea and one I'm sure some middle management fool thought of. I'd have put it on an anvil and hammered it flat before I butchered a good gun it like that! But I'm an American and get testy about such things...

We have no laws about "humane dispatch" in my state but common sense prevails. You'd better be on an isolated stretch of road away from houses and people and you best not fornicate it up by missing.~Muir

Back