Thread: A Hard frosty morning stalk

A Hard frosty morning stalk

Well last Friday morning headed off to my stalking ground got there for about eight . Got myself set up using my browning X-bolt in 243 topped off with a s&b 8-56 . The ground I was stalking that's day is a mixture of small woods sarouned with cut stubble fields and turnip fields . Started to have a good glad around the edges of the tree lines and started to move I'm new to deer stalking and this was my first stalk on a frosty morning! As I found out it's hard to keep you noise down when it's like this but I expected the challenge and had a few steps and a good glass with my vortex 8-42 these a great starting bino! After a while of watching I spotted 3 roe one was a doe with a buck in velvet was amazing to see him I've never seen one in velvet before and she had a buck kid with her last years young . As I stalked up the tree line heading towards the back end of a turnip field I seen another three roe a doe with a buck and a doe last years young as I moved closer I could see a head from the long grass this was a doe as well but a youngster. After glassing them for a while I started to make good ground on the edge of the stubble field . So etching this youngster I noticed see looked a bit scruffy I could just tell she was a bit down compared to the others feeding and browsing . Well got my self set up on my new quad sticks the sealand ones before these I just had two legged ones but I felt soild with my rifle ! Waited for the right chance for a shot making sure my back stop was there and making sure of a clean kill as I didn't want the roe to suffer any more not more than 3mins later sh started to move into the field a but more towards the others . With a sure back stop and a perfect broadside stance I Barked she stopped dead with my crosshairs just behind her shoulder I let of a shot with a big jump and back legs kicked out I new the shot was good she mad maybe 10 yards and fell with a few kicks and she was dead ! Waited and watch as the others ran off and made my way to her on route to her I inspected the strike site and seen hair and blood with a good trail . As I good to the doe I could see I had picked the right cull beast as she was think with big baldy patches after gutting the beast I inspected offal and the liver was pale and no fat in her for this time of year so glad I got her hers a few pics has any one else seen this or any ideas of what it is !? Cheers for reading Matt .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Well done mate a good one to take, a great write up and nice pics bazil

Quote Originally Posted by bazil View Post
    Well done mate a good one to take, a great write up and nice pics bazil
    Cheers for reading Bazil!

County Durham
    Blog Entries
    Well done mate, good choice of cull. Nice rifle set up by the way!

Well Done! Nice photos,

NICE WORK WELL DONE,atb doug,

Cheers guys much appreciated Matt