A limited variation on the age old calibre debate

All the cartridges derived from the .375 H&H are shorter, from the Weatherby cases derived from the Winchester .30 Super on down to the 6.5 Rem Mag.

The L61R is magnum length, just like the Remington 700 long action. Both will handle the .375 H&H, which was offered in the very first model ( which I own ). The 7mm STW, which I have also owned ( I know the developer, Layne Simpson), will also feed well through the Rem 700. I have also owned large magnum action rifles like the CZ 550 Safari, the older Ruger 77 African, Magnum Mauser, and Brevex ( all those rifles nice but too heavy for a .375 H&H for my tastes, better for .404, .416, etc).

You just don't need all that powder behind most smaller bullets, and it does not get you a 1:1 increase in performance over the "natural" sizes for the bullets, like 7x64 or .30-06.

As ever, calibre creates fascinating discussion - and thank you all for the input - a lot of food for thought.

In terms of going larger - I tend to agree, but have no real use for anything larger than 300WM - indeed, my current 300WM was barrelled back from a 338WM (now ducking for the incoming on that!) on the basis it didn't give that much more, other than more recoil and more powder spent.

Both these actions were bought as donors for the same project. The nicer (Finnbear) action could not be clothed as I wanted and so it has sat waiting to be used. It may well be that I should dispose of the action - or at least allow it to be better used for what it was built for (in 'full magnum' terms!) - but as it is mine, I was wondering whether I could have something a little different, based on a magnificent action as a stalking rifle. I have no need, or desire to move on my 270 as it does all I want - unless something really tickles my fancy. In essence therefore this is an emotional decision and all the logical, sensible arguments on over bore, not getting the best from it, throat burning etc. simply do not apply.

If there is someone who might like a LH Finnbear magnum action who can make better/more appropriate use of it, they are welcome to get in touch. 264WM seems like the logical move in terms of calibre and performance, although the less mainstream 7mm variants merit some thought.

I see what you mean there Eric. Welllll you could always book a dangerous game hunt and have something real big then ;) the 300WM will do everything you need in the UK and would be a Great Plains game rig as well......but a 470 Capstick would sure be special.

Sorry, I'm being 'that guy' again!

Eric I not only admire your idea and wants but am envious of them and will be really interested in how this turns out.:thumb:

I see what you mean there Eric. Welllll you could always book a dangerous game hunt and have something real big then ;) the 300WM will do everything you need in the UK and would be a Great Plains game rig as well......but a 470 Capstick would sure be special.

Sorry, I'm being 'that guy' again!

Don't be sorry, I very much appreciate the input and knowledge. It has made me think for sure. A friend of mine is just building a 510 Whisper...... now that's way out there....!!

That is a little out there!
The 500 Whisper does it for me, no 'shoulder' forming, unlike the 510, as it headspaces on the belt (378 Weatherby parent case).

With a magnum bolt face, whether you use a 30-06 or 375 H&H length case, you could do a lot.

I think a .358 Norma would be nice. It's not even that much more powerful than the 300 WM. It just does it with heavier bullets and a larger frontal area.....yes I'm in the Elmer Keith camp :)

The other option for me would be to go as big as possible and plump for (in order of size) 458 Win, 458 Lott, 470 Capstick.
Not even close to practical or required mind.

If you want a truly classic stalking / plains game rifle then there is really only one option and thats the 300 H&H. Its a long cartridge similar in length to the 375H&H, but it is nicely tapered so it feeds beautifully. It had a reputation for being very accurate, but its not loaded as hot as the 300 Win Mag, but not reasons why it shouldn't be. Truth be told it probably is not that much more than a hot loaded 30-06.

It shoots the 180n bullet at c3000 fps, and a 220gn at 2700fps. Drop down to 165n and thats doing 3200 fps.
Add a 26" barrel of sporting weight and a classically styled straight combed stock you could hunt pretty much anything anywhere, save for when you need a dangerous game rifle.

Photo is of a 300 H&H compared to 30-06 300HHMagAnd30-06.jpg

And here is a good article - The Late, Great .300 HH

Last edited:
I'd take the 300 H&H over most any 30 cal, it's a great round with plenty of history behind it.
However Eric has a 300WM already, short of replacing the WM with a 300 H&H I just don't see the point.

Either go small and fast and force a crap load of powder through a small hole like a 264 Win Mag/244 H&H or go bigger (not dangerous game size mind) to launch heavier bullets than what the 300 WM can.

Back