What have you lost? A non-confrontational thread for a change

Pedro

A couple of months ago, I lost a knife whilst out. In fact, I have been known to do this from time to time. There's a fell in Cumbria that in a thousand years will be examined by archaeologists and they'll say it's the site of an old late 20th century/early 21st century settlement where people made knives.

The latest one I lost was just the normal lock knife that I generally carry when up there and is only worth about £25.00. But do it a few times and it mounts up. So the wife, bless her bought me a replacement at Christmas. With a camo handle! Tempting fate that, I thought so I've put a lanyard on it, see if that works. So today we were moving the furniture in the living room, ready for some flooring to be laid and as I moved the couch, what should drop onto the floor? The last knife I lost, supposedly in a corner of a field, in reality in a corner of a couch. Ho hum!

I know we had a thread a while back that asked what strange things you'd found whilst out, but what have you left out there? Dogs? Firearms? (Don't incriminate yourself) Someone sitting in a high chair? or what....

To tell truth - I lost, and eventually recovered a shotgun.

Imagine a hunt that went wrong at every turn (no birds, leaking waders, flooded creeks, dog fights, etc....). Get back to the truck and start trying to gather up and go home, all the while in a TORRENTIAL RAIN. Set the shotgun on the top of the truck because there was no way it was going in a slip to start rusting. At this point, the dog fight begins yet again. Eventually get the dogs crated crawl in the truck cab and drive off. Have not gone 5 miles when I realize gun is not in truck. Turn around, drive back, gun is no where to be found along road or at spot we parked. Immediately proceed to local Sheriff and file lost/stolen gun report. Feel quite horrible, but can't do much.

3 months pass, waterfowl season is over, and I go to the mailbox and find my check from NRA (for those that don't know, not only are they political, they provide $1000 insurance for lost/stolen guns, and liability/disability insurance while shooting - quite the bargain actually). As I walk back inside with check in hand, my mobile rings. It is the sheriff and he would like me to come down and identify my gun. It was in pristine condition, and after much prying he basically said that the recoverer was not completely an honest man. It seemed it watched it fall off truck, scuttled outside and grabbed it, cleaned it up, and then waited for things before he tried to pawn it. Because it was listed as stolen, this resulted in a visit from the sheriff who gave him a choice, turn it over or take a ride in the police car.

Did I, and do I still, feel bad about this - YES. But, sometimes Karma truly is a bitch - and payback for all the good stuff comes in one lump sum.

Many gloves, only ever one of a pair. Once lost a neoprene glove, found it a month or so later and rats had nibbled away at the thing strip of leather that ran between the fingers.

Only thing to turn up after a few years missing was my old Barbour wax cotton bush hat, with my lifetimes collection of woodcock pin feathers in the rim. Walking around checking pheasnt feeders I saw the rim of a hat sticking up from a winter wheat field, pulled it up but it was beyond saving. Ploughed and disced several times it was unrepairable.

My 20 year old Stanley Aladdin 1 litre thermos flask. It was battered & well used but had literally been through some battles with me in the past so I was rather fond of it. God knows where it went! I suspect it's under a high seat somewhere or fell out the boot whilst loading kit.

To tell truth - I lost, and eventually recovered a shotgun.

Imagine a hunt that went wrong at every turn (no birds, leaking waders, flooded creeks, dog fights, etc....). Get back to the truck and start trying to gather up and go home, all the while in a TORRENTIAL RAIN. Set the shotgun on the top of the truck because there was no way it was going in a slip to start rusting. At this point, the dog fight begins yet again. Eventually get the dogs crated crawl in the truck cab and drive off. Have not gone 5 miles when I realize gun is not in truck. Turn around, drive back, gun is no where to be found along road or at spot we parked. Immediately proceed to local Sheriff and file lost/stolen gun report. Feel quite horrible, but can't do much.

3 months pass, waterfowl season is over, and I go to the mailbox and find my check from NRA (for those that don't know, not only are they political, they provide $1000 insurance for lost/stolen guns, and liability/disability insurance while shooting - quite the bargain actually). As I walk back inside with check in hand, my mobile rings. It is the sheriff and he would like me to come down and identify my gun. It was in pristine condition, and after much prying he basically said that the recoverer was not completely an honest man. It seemed it watched it fall off truck, scuttled outside and grabbed it, cleaned it up, and then waited for things before he tried to pawn it. Because it was listed as stolen, this resulted in a visit from the sheriff who gave him a choice, turn it over or take a ride in the police car.

Did I, and do I still, feel bad about this - YES. But, sometimes Karma truly is a bitch - and payback for all the good stuff comes in one lump sum.
glad you got your gun back ,keeper found shotgun Leaning against tree not one of his syndicate ! tryed to contact landowner who was away on hols .....cant hold gun so phoned police who promptly found the guns owner ........knock on the door of the landowner on his return from hols......revoked certificate! landowner revoked the syndicates lease lets hope karma prevails
Norma

Last edited:
A snugpak bumbag with a 40 quid knife in it . A small oilstone , first aid kit & a bushwear roe carry strap ...
Was out with NV on a guys farm with him to try lamp shy foxes , back to truck home , no bumbag think it was around the steadi game at this farm but never got opportunity to go look .
Moved home now so definitely not there

Bummer

Paul

worst thing I have lost.

1994 4th jan in Omagh NI.................................my father.

and I never had the chance to say how much I loved him before he passed,

bob.

Lost a bullet pouch full of .222 ammo but managed to find it
my wedding ring twice once gralloching a roe and once paunching a rabbit but found it both times with many thanks to a kind metal detectorist
Lost a wildcat mod informed the police after a couple of hours searching they in fairness were fine and said not to worrie and I would be surprised if I knew how often firearms actually went missing and all I needed to do was put in for a variation which I did but this wasn't needed in the end as the wife found it a couple of days later inside the sofa
Best one tho is actually the wife she lost our son inside the house a couple of years ago she obviuosly went into blind panic mode after a couple of of moments shouting out for him (he was about 3 at the time) she started to rip the house apart looking every where and after about five minutes of looking she heard him laughing quietly as he was watching her run round from inside his toy box which he had climbed into shut the lid and was watching her through the hand holes for carrying it in the side luckily I was at work at the time and didn't have to deal with her wrath the boy tho didn't fair so well

My Youth ............................. one moment it was here then it was gone and I cannot find it anywhere.

Managed to lose my Poppins Sika sack containing a knife, first aid kit, torch and various odds and ends. I discovered its loss when I went to go out on a stalk and couldn't find it, I have looked everywhere even on my permission without success.
I have now decided that I will have to fork out for another Poppins sack (can't do without it) just wondering whether to get a full sack or a Yool sack.

Willie

I have a camo leafy hat which I know works well because one evening while wearing it up a seat I saw - out of the corner of my eye - a barn owl set up on approach to land on my head. (FWIW I thought "This will probably hurt", so I turned to look at him and he threw it away).

Some time later I put the hat on one side during a gralloch at the edge of a wood and it *instantly* disappeared. Despite much searching, apparently gone forever. A year later I went to recover a munty in the same place, put my bag down and there it was waiting for me, looking pretty sad and abandoned but still wearable. Cue elderly stalker apologising to a hat :)

The woman who I love and cherish, sadly I didn't realise the depth of her depression and the effect on our relationship. I felt pushed away and left her not realising I was all she had Lleft . After 6 months apart I now realise what a very special women she is and have an uphill struggle to regain her trust and love.

D

The full range of movement in my hips...
Set of quad sticks, (launched from the roof of the car, somewhere in the Edinburgh Seafield road area!)
One of a set of small cups off the top of a hip flask...highland burn stole it and it disappeared into the deep under the heather!
My favourite Bugatti cap

among others!

Custom knife bought as birthday/becoming a father present by parents in law. Three trips out with metal detector never turned it up (though shot 2 roe bucks in the process).
Several gloves - as always, just one of a pair. Several hats - and when you're as bald as me, this is a worst case scenario. I now keep a spare pair of gloves, a spare knife and a spare hat in the car!
Car keys - fell out of a pocket. Two hours on hands and knees in sheep muck eventually turned them up.
Car keys again - couldn't find in pocket. Another 3 hours in same sheep field, followed by giving up, calling wife to arrange a pick up (involving hour drive with 5 month baby), then returning to car to notice keys still in ignition...
Stalking sticks, leica binoculars, roe sack and other sundries. Dumped for final crawl into a fallow buck. Crawl turned out longer than expected, over very featureless moor. Weather turned and visibility went to about 30 metres. Absolutely could not find cache - let alone figure out what direction it had been. Found the following day after recruiting 3 others to help.

My virginity to an older woman in a barley field at a summer fair.....

That's a bit more romantic than mine, which was as a horny underaged teenager to an older girl who'd been around the block a bit. Out of our minds on Southern Comfort and using a black liquorice-flavoured condom my mate Rich ran a mile to the nearest village pub and back for when he thought I might be in with a chance. I never really thanked him properly.

Back