Thread: Low mag variable scope wanted

Low mag variable scope wanted

Hey guys. I'm looking for a low mag variable scope to go on my combi gun. Examples being Simmons 1.5-5x20, Leupold 1-4x20 etc.

Has anyone got one going spare? Must be in reasonable condition and 1" tube. PM me with a price if you do!

Cheers for looking.

Try Forest Lodge Guns on 01673 858554, 0900 - 1800 seven days a week. I think they have a Simmons.

Thankyou Stan, I'll give them a call. Any other offers just in case it's gone?

Personally I wouldn't recommend the 1.5-5x20 Simmons for use on a centre fire rifle. I had one for use on a gallery rifle and it was very good (for a time) and then it started wandering all over the target. Two other guys that I know had exactly the same problem. Apparently it is something to do with the design of the support system for the reticule and that is why that model is no longer made. The clarity of the optics for the price was very good and I would think that if the newer models are as clear and they have solved the problems with recoil then for less than 100 you will have a cheap scope. However I would suggest that you would be better off saving your money and putting it towards something of better quality especially if you are intending to use it for anything other than paper punching.

I hadn't heard about the zero wander on the Simmons. It's certainly something to keep in mind.

Looking at it from another point of view though, how many rounds did your gallery rifle see before it went wrong? I do plan in the long term to put a Leupold or maybe even a S&B on it but just don't have the funds at the moment. It will be a stop gap answer and a short term solution. I don't really fire that many rounds either, maybe 100 per year through each gun?

I missed out on a Docter some time ago. It sold for about 100 I think and I've been kicking myself for missing it ever since!

Check out JS Ramsbottom as they do Simmons etc and they have a 1/5-5x32 scope listed meant for shotgun /Slug use. Never seen one just noticed it advertised.

I'm a S&B man myself but just brought a waever extreme 1.5-4x24 and its excellent Paid just over 300 pound and its iluminated!

The Simmons 1.5-5x32 is in the replacement range of scopes that Simmons brought out, I haven't heard any reports on them. With regard to my scope on the gallery rifle, .38spl doesn't generate a lot of recoil in a carbine so the scope should have stood up to that. One of the chaps who had problems with a Simmons only had it fitted to a Ruger 10/22.

If you can afford it a S&B is probably the answer, or Meopta do a very nice scope in a similar format at a reasonable price. I havn't seen a Weaver 1.5-4x24 but having owned a Weaver K6 for a long time previously, I was generally quite satisfied with the quality for the money it cost me.
    As mentioned the low powered Leupold in 30mm European format is a reasonable scope with a good guarantee but the optics aren't in the same class as the S&B or Meopta.