New model Ford Ranger MPG?

caorach

Does anyone have any practical experience of the MPGs of one of the recent model Ford Rangers? It would probably be the 2.2l 150PS engine I'd be interested in.

Isle of mull must have been a winner for the sales guy as the entire island farming community seems to freeze driving them!

Biggest selling vehicle in NZ, ( mainly parked on grass verges or towing boats) the new mitzy is better on fuel and warranty.

Pierred used to have the 2.2 and now has the bigger engine version, flick him a pm and I'm sure he'll answer and questions you have
Regards
Jimmy

I have now a Tata Xenon bought for half the Fords price and am quite surprised as it runs very well, it has double overhead camshafts with 4 valves per cylinder on an alloy block so it cannot get any more modern than that as the top of the ranges technology runs out of steam after adding all that kit.
MPG seems much lower than on my Hyundai Terracan was but as diesel is falling like a stone in price presently 0.90 cents euro here in Slovakia (UK price was still higher when I visited over the weekend, greedy dealers????) mpg on a vehicle is not really an issue any more (I see that the Americans are going back up to big gas guzzlers again)
Martin

Thanks folks, that has been useful.

I love my X-Trail and might just keep it but recently I've been taking a little look around at a pick up type solution. I'd guess I do more driving off road than the vast majority of people, probably 1000 miles per year, and the X-Trail copes much better than I'd imagine plus is great for the on road driving. However, should I decide to replace it then the new shape X-Trail is sod all use to anyone so a little bit of investigating seemed in order.

They got one at work last year, not sure what engine. It replaced a 3.0 Hilux, apparently the fuel consumption is a fair bit worse than the Toyota.

I'll see if I can find out the actual MPG as they monitor the fuel usage.

They got one at work last year, not sure what engine. It replaced a 3.0 Hilux, apparently the fuel consumption is a fair bit worse than the Toyota.

I'll see if I can find out the actual MPG as they monitor the fuel usage.

Thank you, that would be most useful info.

Does anyone have any practical experience of the MPGs of one of the recent model Ford Rangers? It would probably be the 2.2l 150PS engine I'd be interested in.

The three ltr is 22-33pmg with an avg of 28 on the honest john web site

Id expect it to be arround 27-30

Mitsi was 25mpg all day long but it didnt seem to matter how it was loaded it still gave 25??

I swaped my one for a Toyota Rav 4 2.2d which is giving me 42-45mpg avg depending on how often I tow the trailer

I loved the Mitsi but couldn't cope with 25mpg when it was 135 per ltr and costing £120 to fil it every 400 miles

I had the 2.7crd grand cherokee before the Mitsi and that did 30 which I thaught was prety good. I got 35 on a run to Barcalona. They get slagged off but I baught the LTD new and did about 90,000 miules in four years without much except one UV joint and severl sets of warped disks

very very impresive off road

ATB

Id reckon around the 25mpg but of course there will be people telingl you there getting 40mpg, most trucks do around 22 to 25 running around locally and maybe 28 on a run. Our agronomist has one and he says it comfortable but not much better on fuel than my 03 ranger !!! his is the 2.2

Ihave the older 2.5 direct injection and I get a consistent 34mpg (distance per tank worked out) and this has been over a few thousand miles (on road and not towing). It has Yokahoma Geolander tyres that are an AT tyre but look a bit more road biased. On a run cruising at 60mph on the motorway I got 44mpg over a 300mile trip. I would guess that the newer engine is capable of better spending on how it's driven etc. Real life mpg is mainly down to how you drive and then other factors, off-road, towing, tyres etc playing a big part.

Hi Caorach, the Ranger at work is the 2.2

It's averaged 24mpg, measured over 6K miles, not much if any off road but a fair amount of towing.

Thank you for the info, and to everyone else who posted as well. It is useful to see how others do, and also interesting to see the variation in what people are reporting.

I have an 20 month old Ranger 2.2 that I have done 65k in, it has not missed a beat, been used for everything from motorway, to shoot bus, to lugging a trailer. Running on BfG All Terrains it returns 27 mpg on average, nudging 28/9 on a run. Cars are always personal but I had a choice of all the main brands and liked the ranger the most. Definitely nicer to drive and less "wallowy" than some. The new new ranger is next...

I'd look at the new Nissan Navara over the ford any day, the new Navara has only been out a few weeks but looks like a right brut! I have the old Navara and am more than happy with it, I get 34.7mpg average so the computer says and I get 530/540 miles to a tank full. Going for a pick up was the best thing I ever did... having a steaming Buck mid rut in the boot was not the nicest of smells to say the least!!!

My mate got the top of the range wildtrak,3.1 I think, he get less than 24mpg empty, oh its a guzzler, it is very powerful though

Back