Halogen heaters for the home?

FrenchieBoy

Our flat is fitted with electric storage heaters which we find are very expensive to run so we are thinking of getting a halogen heater in an attempt to save a little on our electric bill. The sitting room in our flat is fairly small (About 20 x 12 feet floor area) so we were thinking about a halogen heater rated with three power options of 400, 800 and 1200 watts.
Do any of you guys use halogen heaters in your home and if so what do you think of them (Do you think one of the size mentioned would be sufficient) both heat and economy wise please?
Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Our flat is fitted with electric storage heaters which we find are very expensive to run so we are thinking of getting a halogen heater in an attempt to save a little on our electric bill. The sitting room in our flat is fairly small (About 20 x 12 feet floor area) so we were thinking about a halogen heater rated with three power options of 400, 800 and 1200 watts.
Do any of you guys use halogen heaters in your home and if so what do you think of them (Do you think one of the size mentioned would be sufficient) both heat and economy wise please?
Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

we sell hundreds of these at work every month!! up side - instant heat - economy wise what size are your storage heaters?? i never believe they are as cheap to run as people say...
[FONT=&quot]http://www.sust-it.net/price-comparison-electric/halogen-heaters[/FONT]

we sell hundreds of these at work every month!! up side - instant heat - economy wise what size are your storage heaters?? i never believe they are as cheap to run as people say...
[FONT=&amp]http://www.sust-it.net/price-comparison-electric/halogen-heaters[/FONT]

Redlab - I can't find the power rating marked on either of the storage heaters we have but one the smaller one of the two (In our hallway) is a Dimplex XL5N and the larger one in the front room is not marked but is nearly twice the size of the smaller one. (If that makes sense)
We were thinking of a three bar (400, 800 and 1200 watt) Halogen Heater for the front room and maybe a two bar (400 and 800 watt) one for the hallway!
What would your thought be please?

Have you considered the oil filled radiators ? , I find them really effective in 2 kW output

Sorry guys. I should have explained that our flat is owned by a housing association so we are limited to what we can use and are not allowed to remove the existing electric storage heaters.

Hi FrenchieBoy,
I have a cheap halogen heater at home in the shed, it's a great source of instant radiated heat, but when you turn it on its like sitting in front of a truck with all it spotlights and main beams on together. I feel like I need to wear sunglasses when it's on.

Infra red panel heater throw out radiated heat without too much light. Like sitting in front of a glowing coal fire without filling up the coal scuttle.:D

I have just got rid an economy seven heating system and considered all the options before replacing.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

1. You will be on a economy tariff. This means you pay less for your electric at night but more during the day. Therefore if you start running a large energy consuming unit during non economy hours you will pay more to use it than someone on a normal tariff.
2. A heater is a heater. It is based on watts. What it looks like is of little consequence, it will still use the same amount of power.
3. Correctly set E7 heaters and insulation will be the only way to reduce your bills.

I have just got rid an economy seven heating system and considered all the options before replacing.
I think you are looking at this the wrong way.

1. You will be on a economy tariff. This means you pay less for your electric at night but more during the day. Therefore if you start running a large energy consuming unit during non economy hours you will pay more to use it than someone on a normal tariff.
2. A heater is a heater. It is based on watts. What it looks like is of little consequence, it will still use the same amount of power.
3. Correctly set E7 heaters and insulation will be the only way to reduce your bills.

+1 with this, my personal opinion of halogen heaters are they are only good at one thing.... breaking...... yes when they work they are OK but my money would go on a extra oil filled radiator or the like.

My stepdaughter in Munich has a small house fitted with marble panels with elements embedded on the back surfaces and they run off the old disposed of storage heaters cabling so they feed up at off peak power rates they are very unobtrusive and decorative and warm she loves em.
Martin

Funnily enough I saw some in Claus Olsen yesterday, they started at £30, 2000watt I think, not sure of the rating or suitability but worth a look.

Back