Marlin 1895 SBL

Brian-Llewellyn

Marlin 1895 SBL

Hi everyone. Looking for a new Marlin 1895 SBL its the short barrel, stainless steel with a grey laminate stock.
Would any of you good guys know of any shops etc. with one available.

Thank you

Brian

View attachment 65717 Love mine got mine second hand off of here, good luck with the search
Atb Matt

Great picture Matt . There's a few around here Brian , unfortunately , that doesn't do you any good . I hope you find one , they're great rifles , although I'm more of a blued steel and walnut guy . Mind you , stainless makes sense for the UK's climate .

AB

Marlin 1895 SBL

Hi everyone. Looking for a new Marlin 1895 SBL its the short barrel, stainless steel with a grey laminate stock.
Would any of you good guys know of any shops etc. with one available.

Thank you

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I can't offer you a source for the gun but a word to the wise...

...as you may be aware, when Remington took over Marlin there was a serious problem with quality control. Reports from the US suggest the situation may be improving but the UK supply may be lagging behind.

DO not buy a gun without looking at it carefully. Go to the MarlinOwners forum and read up on the problems to look for: poor fit and finish, sights off centre, barrel droop, cracking stocks, poor crowns, jamming on the first round, etc.

I love the JM Marlins, owning 3 (one 45-70), but I would be careful buying a "Remlin".

I assume you'll be reloading for it?

Good luck with the hunt.

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid I can't offer you a source for the gun but a word to the wise...

...as you may be aware, when Remington took over Marlin there was a serious problem with quality control. Reports from the US suggest the situation may be improving but the UK supply may be lagging behind.

DO not buy a gun without looking at it carefully. Go to the MarlinOwners forum and read up on the problems to look for: poor fit and finish, sights off centre, barrel droop, cracking stocks, poor crowns, jamming on the first round, etc.

I love the JM Marlins, owning 3 (one 45-70), but I would be careful buying a "Remlin".

I assume you'll be reloading for it?

Good luck with the hunt.

Good advise . Like the UK , we are at the end of the retail market . There are still quite a few Remlins kicking around here and some of them have serious QC problems . Usually they're re an easy fix , but I've seen a few with over indexed barrels ( sights tilted to the left ) , feeding problems , some refused to feed at all and just general poor workmanship . The new Marlins seem to work just fine and get good reviews , they appear to have resolved their production issues .
My 1895 is a Remlin , it has performed perfectly from day one . I wasn't happy with the wood to metal fit and glass bedded the rear tang / butt stock area . Other than that , it's bone stock issue . It is an incredibly accurate rifle , I'd say how accurate , but I doubt some of you would believe me .
As Xavierdoc pointed out , give it a good looking over before buying and definitely go to MarlinOwners for more detailed info . I'm a member and I really enjoy it , lots of helpful , knowledgeable people .
Hopefully you find one and enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine .

AB

My boy has the (way pre Remington) 1895 Cowboy 26 inch octagon. Looks good, shoots better.~Muir
AndyandMarlinJanO7REDREd-1.jpg

I also have a Marlin cowboy limited edition in 44mag that I bought when they first came out and it's very accurate without a scope. I love it

The first one I looked at was off of guntrader, had it sent to my rfd it wouldn't chamber a dummy round or load in the magazine, It was brought at auction as a fully working rifle, but was actually returned to Edgar brothers for a refund who supposedly put it in as spares or repairs anyway we both got our money back. Was going to bid on the same gun blind, glad I didn't. But if you see one you actually want to have it in your hands before you part with any cash. Get hold of a dummy round too

atb Matt

Thanks to everyone.
Good advice. What would be a good alternative I'm looking for a large calibre guide gun with a short barrel. Similar to the marlin prefer an under lever and side loader not tube fed

Thank you Brian

I'm enjoying reading the thread I got a bug for an under lever after shooting my buddies and being surprised on how accurate it actually is. There a plenty over here in the U.S. but finding a good one is a little challenge but not overwhelming. As I already have a stainless ano laminate centre fire and wanted the old school look I went for a pre remlin JM Marlin but with a chequered walnut stock. Scope wise I wanted something which could be used from very close to 75 yds so choose the Vortex crossfire 1-4x22 on a 30mm tube with an illuminated 4a like reticule. It's a great combination and looking forward to seeking some hogs out shortly.
image.jpg

The .444 has some advantages: It can be loaded with lighter pistol bullets for practice and for deer, and it can fire bullets like 265 and 270 grain ones, fast enough to have good range and trajectory without brutal recoil.

Like the .45-70, you cannot just compare the paper FT-LBs with other, high velocity cartridges. A mild loaded cast bullet at 1,800 fps will expand as wide, retain a very high percentage of weight (which is much more to begin with), and penetrate two or three times as far as premium bullets from things like .30-06 and .300 Win Mag. Full loads with 260 to 300 grain bullets are truly hammers on big game.

The .444 has some advantages: It can be loaded with lighter pistol bullets for practice and for deer, and it can fire bullets like 265 and 270 grain ones, fast enough to have good range and trajectory without brutal recoil.

Like the .45-70, you cannot just compare the paper FT-LBs with other, high velocity cartridges. A mild loaded cast bullet at 1,800 fps will expand as wide, retain a very high percentage of weight (which is much more to begin with), and penetrate two or three times as far as premium bullets from things like .30-06 and .300 Win Mag. Full loads with 260 to 300 grain bullets are truly hammers on big game.

Indeed. Google "Vince Lupo Marlin Africa big five" for illustration.

Back