Thread: Just got my FAC today...... Can you advise on rifle choice please ???

Account Suspended

Just got my FAC today...... Can you advise on rifle choice please ???

Hiya Guys,

I have received the good news today that I have been passed for my FAC and I am in the market for a .22lr, a .17HMR and a .243.

The guns will be used on a regular basis on my local farm and my quarry are rabbits, pigeons, crows, rooks, magpies, foxes and muntjac. I have over 200 acres to hunt and need some advice on guns selections.

I have 3000 to spend on all 3 including scopes and mods.

So what rifles would you recommend ???

I have been looking at;

.22CZ American Varmint in Walnut.
    .17HMR Synthetic Sako Quad.
    .243 Tikka T3 Lite Varmint.(Synthetic).

What do you guys think ???

Don't know much about the other calibers but I bought a browning X-bolt last year in .243. It has been an excellent rifle, very happy with it.

I have the CZ American in both the .22LR and .17HMR i think they are great value i think i paid 400 each...

Tikka 6.5 x 55 T3 Lite it has been a very good rifle to me and cant fault it has always shot well and especially recently home loading its performance as been exceptional .5' groups 100m...

So i think you have some good choices no idea about the sako quad though...

Set aside a decent amount for your scopes, no good having a 800 rifle and can`t see bugger all through a 100 scope.
    Have a look at the second hand market for your rifle, there`s some bargains to be had out there.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Before you look at buying muskets look for quality Binoculars. They are the most important item you have as a stalker. I recently bought a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLC - Best 600 I have spent in a long time, you can always use an estate rifle but your binos are vital. I cant stress that enough. Second buy a top quality scope (S&B, Swarovski, Ziess or Meopta, Leupold) in either 8x56 (My prefenence), 7/8x50, 6x42 or variable (I prefer fixed mag as there is less to fumble with ). THEN buy you guns. Tikka are brilliant rifles IMHO by the way, I have just ordered T3 Lite/Stainless in 6.5x55 .

Dont go for a varmint profile barrel unless you are doing a great deal of range work, its just un needed weight. Buy a second hand .243 and a top notch scope (I would go S&B 8x56 Hungarian - about 500). Spend you money on the scope then look at Parker Hale rifles - accurate, well built and cheap enough or any other good manufacturer (Sako, Tikka, Steyr, Remington, Ruger etc). You dont sound too experianced - if I were you I would spend whatever you can going out with a professional stalker before starting stalking on your own - you will learn a hell of a lot.

As far as a rimfire goes get a CZ 452 - for the money there is not too much to beat them Scope wise look at Simmons.

Have fun with whatever.

Last edited by Sam; 17-05-2010 at 20:05. Reason: Sprellig
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore