Trophy Measuring

Ghurka

Hi All,

I have just bagged my first Roe Buck and I think it might be a contender for a medal. How do you guys get yours measured? I remember seeing a trophy measuring service at Gamefairs ( BDS or BASC I think). Does anyone know of the next venue they are attending?

Thanks

There is a little more to it than that.
When you boil the head do NOT cut the scull as they deduct a statutory 90 gramms for an uncut scull, cutting can be haphazard and lose you points.
Secondly there has to be a 90 day `drying out` period of the head before an assessment can be made.
You could get it done by the C.I.C. at the `Midland` which I believe is in September.
I have one going down for a guest then also.

As a matter of interest what is the current `boiled off` weight in gramms ?

HWH.

Thanks.
Your cut is the traditional one but you have done yourself no favours by cutting the scull.
I think there may be a deduction of 65 gramms for this cut but by time the drying-out process is completed I believe you will not achieve the 105 CIC points required for Bronze.

The one shot by my guest on April 30th. weighs 495 gramms today and has already lost about 30 gramms drying out since it was boiled off. It has not been cut and therefore will have 90 gramms deducted, it should make a medal.

HWH.

I have cut it through the eye socket and nose and at the moment it weighs 400g . If this is indeed the cut you have done there should be no deductions and you will indeed be close to a bronze but only after the drying time. If you have cut it from the back of the skull to the tip of the nose (long nose cut ) you will as said by stag loose atleast 65 grams. For any one shooting a deer that is of good quality please dont cut the skull as the 90grm deduction is less that you will loose in general as a cut.​

Muntys.

1. Inside span between Main Beams.
2. Length of Main Beam.
3. Length of Brow Tine.
4. Circumference of Coronet.
5. Circumference of Antler at mid-distance up beam.

Each antler measured separately and each feature compared with the opposite member and any difference
placed in a column to be deducted from the aggregate of right and left antler. The Inside Span is then added to get the final total of points.
This was the system used when I had a nice one measured but it failed due to lack of beam and coronet circumference but the criteria may have changed since then.

HWH.

Muntys.

1. Inside span between Main Beams.
2. Length of Main Beam.
3. Length of Brow Tine.
4. Circumference of Coronet.
5. Circumference of Antler at mid-distance up beam.

Each antler measured separately and each feature compared with the opposite member and any difference
placed in a column to be deducted from the aggregate of right and left antler. The Inside Span is then added to get the final total of points.
This was the system used when I had a nice one measured but it failed due to lack of beam and coronet circumference but the criteria may have changed since then.

HWH.

It's still the same I think:

http://www.cic-wildlife.org/uploads/media/red_book.pdf (page 92)

This one made gold. The left measured 10.5cm, the right 11.5cm:

IMG_1138.jpg

Sorry about the silver baubles....it was Christmas..:oops:

This one (found dead) should do the same:

Anothernicemunty.jpg

This is the only roe I've had measured:

IMG_1140.jpg

I have a couple of others that I will get done at some point...when I can be bothered...when I've finished watching the paint dry ;)

willie_gunn

Last edited:
My Munty was 12cm long, thin and with insignificant brow tines, however it was the best I ever shot as most others were just `nestlings`. [Pic. to follow.]

HWH.

Here he is and was beautifully stuffed by Andrew Denson of Padiham, near Darwin.

HWH

He does look very nice.

Mine was shot in April, so just as he was changing from winter to summer coat. As a result the cape is a bit thin in places. I had the option of using a different cape, but that smacked too much of the old "Only Fools and Horses" sketch about Trigger's broom; "I've had the same broom for 20 years. It's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles but it's still the same broom".:D

willie_gunn

i found this some time ago i think i got from basc, its not exact but a good guide,

The span should be measured at its widest point,
which may be at the tip of the antlers or lower down.
Just in case you are considering submitting a trophy for measurement, here are the guideline measurements for the roe:
The most important facet of a roe trophy is its weight in grammes, which accounts for about 35% of the entire score. Because many trophies are cut to individual preferences, home mis-measurements are often made. In effect we are seeking the net weight of the trophy as if standard cut, which is from the highest point of the dome of the skull, through the eye sockets and mid-way through the nasal bone.
The volume of the antlers (measured by dipping in water) accounts for a further 45% of the total score, and of the remaining 20% about half is in the average length of antler (ideally between 20 and 30 cms) and the final half is the beauty points, awarded for such qualities as pearling, symmetry and length of tines.
In general, to qualify;
· A bronze medal will need a dry net weight of at least 365 grammes (455 full-skull) and a volume of at least 150 ccs.
· A silver will require a dry net weight of at least 420 grammes (510 full-skull) and a volume of at least 165 ccs.
· A gold requires a weight of 480 grammes (570 full-skull) and a volume of 200 ccs.
However there is considerable variation due mainly to the age of the buck and also to the quality of beauty points. Trophies of 450 grammes net have been known to make gold, and trophies of over 400 grammes sometimes fail to make even bronze.

The length should be measured from
the tip of the antler to the cornet.
Nevertheless a trophy of 26 cms length, of 365 grammes net weight and 150 ccs in volume, scoring full marks for span and average marks for each of the beauty points will score

charlie 1

Back