Multi Catch (Rat) cage traps?

FrenchieBoy

Following on from the thread I started some time ago about a bit of a rat problem I was faced with - I am still getting a few rats with the Fenn Mk4 traps (Which I check daily).
However there are a couple of rat holes/runs that have started to develop which are coming out from under the front of one of the poultry houses (Underneath a flag stone) that will be a bit of a devil to use Fenn traps on. With that in mind I was thinking about trying one of the Multi Catch Rat Traps - The ones with a funnel and trap door into the catching/bait compartment. However (Being a bit of a thigh a**e) I was wondering if any of the members on here have ever used these multi catch traps and if they found them to be a worthwhile investment before I splashed out on one or two of them.
The only alternative that I can think of is to use a "wooden tunnel" with a Fenn Mk 4 in it. If this has to be then as I have never built a wooden box/tunnel (I am lead to believe that they can be built with a hinged top for setting and checking them, and a restrictor to stop any hedgehogs etc from entering them) does anyone have any suggestions as to what size they should be or better still plans for building them please?
Once again I would like to stress that the land owner is adamant that she is totally against the use of any type of poisons so any poison/bait boxes are out of the question. Also, it is impossible to lift the poultry houses to get room for any terriers/ferrets under them to deal with the rats - Shame, I think that ratting with terriers is a great way to spend a Sunday morning!
Your thought would be most welcome!

I don't suppose that you can smoke them out can you? Lots of keeper use wooden tunnels too. I'm sure that you can fix something across both ends of a tunnel to make it impossible for hedge hogs to get in? Rats don't need much of a gap to get into the tunnel at all!

I know an estate that uses up turned plastic plant boxes the long ones that people put below windows, with a 2 inch hole drilled in each end works a treat and with a few bricks on chickens won't move them

I know an estate that uses up turned plastic plant boxes the long ones that people put below windows, with a 2 inch hole drilled in each end works a treat and with a few bricks on chickens won't move them
That really does sound like trying.
Many thanks!:rofl:

How are you using the fenns at the moment? I've never had much success with the multi's you mention. If the rats are that bad I'd suggest adding poison to your campaign against them. As for making tunnels, get a plank of similar width to a set fen and make a domed tunnel from chicken wire, put a dollop of peanut butter under the pressure plate

How are you using the fenns at the moment? I've never had much success with the multi's you mention. If the rats are that bad I'd suggest adding poison to your campaign against them. As for making tunnels, get a plank of similar width to a set fen and make a domed tunnel from chicken wire, put a dollop of peanut butter under the pressure plate
I'm using the Fenns in "tunnels" made of breeze blocks at the moment.
As for using poisons I have said that the landowner is adamant that poisons (of any sort are- out of the question.

Fenns in a tunnel should do the job. A bit of peanut butter on the plate works pretty well. Leave the tunnels in place rather than moving them around, a couple of hazel sticks placed crosswise across the entrances will stop the odd hen sticking its head in!

I had seen this but dismissed the idea as I was wondering "Is it legal to just drowned rats in this way in the UK?

Even if it was legal I don't think I'd choose to drown them. Maybe use it without the water then dispatch them every 24 hours with an air rifle or sack and a stick?

Hi FB,
I have just finished making up for the coming Spring season 8 mk4 Fenn tunnels and 4 mink rafts using tunnels and mk6 Fenns so the method and measurements are still very fresh in my mind, if you want me to pm you detailed info just say.

I have, I believe perfected the art and trapped countless Rats, Squirrels, Stoats, Weasels etc over my lifetime all using Fenns in tunnels without using any bait, I really don't think it's needed.

atb WB

I used to run two dozen or so multi-catch rat traps every year around the lakes, concentrating my efforts around harvest time.
For years it was very successful in keeping the numbers down, total catch varied each year, but rats were never an issue around the lakes.
A couple of years ago a club member complained about me drowning the rats, saying it was both cruel and unnecessary to control rats.
I thought about trying an airgun and just getting on with it quietly, but decided as I don't get paid to do it, nor do the club cover the real costs involved that i'd just stop trapping, so now no traps and loads of rats.
If you are catching live and in volume the killing of them is the problem.

Neil. :)

I had seen this but dismissed the idea as I was wondering "Is it legal to just drowned rats in this way in the UK?

Frenchie boy, I don't think it is illegal to drown rats etc in a trap but it is an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to a protected animal, the protected bit means the rat in the cage under your 'care'. The other year the RSPCA in all their wisdom managed to get a successful prosecution over a chap for drowning a squirrel in a cage trap. As long as they can prove alleged unnecessary suffering they can go for yet another easy target pointless prosecution. Hitting with a stick or an air gun pellet is ok, as long as it's only a single blow or single pellet, more than one and they'd be after you for being cruel.

brilliant isn't it?

I got a couple of cheap plastic window boxes yesterday to use as "tunnels" about 18 inches long. I cut a hole at each end about 3 inches square to allow entry and exit of the rats but to stop any poultry or hedgehogs/non-target species from accessing the traps. I set a Fenn Mk 4 on the ground about 6 inches from the holes and placed the upturned window boxes over then so that when any rat exits the holes it has to go through the "tunnel" and directly over the trap to get out to feed. I then weighted the window boxes down with a breeze block on top of each to stop them from moving.
I have not bothered "baiting" the traps with peanut butter or anything but am willing to do so if necessary.
I will be going up shortly to check the traps so we will see if this idea works.

Edit: Just got back. RESULT! One rat (A medium sized doe that was not showing signs of lactating) in the trap at the front of the poultry house where the "fresher" run is so the trap has been reset there again!

Last edited:
Fenn Mk 4 and Springer mK 4 - Any difference?

I am planning on getting in some more Fenn (Type) traps to keep in stock for "if and when" they are needed (After allowing them to "weather" for a while. Looking on evilbay I have noticed that you can get Springer Mk4 traps cheaper than Fenn Mk 4 traps - Springer Mk4 £6.99 (Including postage) against around £8 or £9 (Plus postage) for the Fenn Mk 4 traps.
Does anyone know if there is any real difference between the Fenn Mk 4 and the Springer Mk 4 traps that could justify the price difference or are you just paying for the name "Fenn" please?

Told you the plant pots worked. Fenn traps are the original springer and solway are copies that seem to work fine the power of the spring may not be as strong( but I've never had a squirrel complain with any mark 6 )this was told to me and maybe untrue but they look pretty similar

Spring traps ... Fenns, Springers or Solways they will all do the job.

as a refinement and benefit to all us " old boys " fit a white cable tie to the jaw next to the thumb loop and leave it sticking out on the ground as an indicator when the trap has sprung, saves you getting down on the ground and peering through the trap, just a glance as you walk past will tell you if it's caught.

FB you don't mention if you have cut a small opening so that you can flick the safety off last thing when alls set up, a stick the size of a pencil does the job.

ATB WB.

Back