Thread: Casseroled Haunch

Casseroled Haunch

I'd a red calf haunch in the freezer that was really needing used up so decided to casserole it on Sunday.

Defrosted it (took 36 hours, overnight in a cool room then a day in the fridge)

Boned out the haunch and set the meat aside. To make a stock - broke the bones and fried them off for flavor and colour, covered in a large pot with couple of bay leaves, onion, carrot and half a dozen peppercorns. Simmered for 2.5 hours until a bit more than half its volume. Drained and set aside.

Meantime the gorgeous meat (I know its a crying shame to use this for a casserole!) was cubed into roughly one inch cubes. Fried to seal and brown the meat in small batches. When the bottom of the pan got too burned it got deglased with a spoon of stock and the liquid and scrapings poured over the browned meat.

When that was all done two onions and a clove of garlic got sweated down, then half a bottle of Rioja, boiled off the alcohol. (Ooh look, there's half a bottle of Rioja left over). Good tablespoon of redcurrant jelly, meat added, stock added, couple of wee sprigs of rosemary that I keep in the freezer. Brought to a light simmer and left for two hours.

then added 1/2 a swede, four big carrots and four smallish parsnips. Cooked for another 45 minutes, seasoned and then thickened with a heaped tablespoon of cornflour in cold water.

Served with buttered mash and peas. Made enough for 16 hungry people.......

I know its 'just a stew' recipe, but really enjoyed it. Anyone got other great stew/ casserole ideas or secrets?
    I can resist everything, except temptation.

We do something very similar to the above, but don't bother with capping meat of haunch or shoulder. I had two shoulders off a small Roe Buck that I shot in the summer. Put the two shoulders into the Poikie Pot with onions, garlic, mixed herbs and spices (coriander and black pepper, and a pinch a Cayn pepper), a couple of olds carrots and some celery, cover with water and let it simmer gently, either on the fire, on the hob or in 140 degree C oven for three hours, the add half a bottle or red wine and let it do its thing for another hour or so, turn up temp for the last 30 minutes and take lid off to allow some of the liquid to boil off. Serve with jacket potatoes, peas and winter veg, with the stew garnished with chopped flat leaf parsley.

You will find the meat will just fall away in chunks from the bones and all the tendons, sinew etc have just dissolved away. And the bones add real flavour. Prep time about five minutes.

Add wine or any acid too early rather dries out the meat, also adding wine or stock thats cold has the same effect, always add it warm

Both sound great ... & I can never resist squeezing in a good squirt of brown sauce in to the proceedings

Heym - I'll try adding the wine later then - it wasnt dry given the slow cook, but will add that tip to the kitchen armoury!

looking for a good recipe to use up some Prehistoric Archaeological meat finds in the permafrost at the bottom of the freezer lots of Freezer burn etc

Sounds like my haunch!

See what you can find here JockStalk.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    See what you can find here JockStalk.
    Brilliant basil - that's a keeper.