8x57IR - stockists?

jcf1

Hi all, looking for a source of 8x57 IR factory ammo - failing that brass and .318 SP heads...

Anyone know of a reliable stockist or importer?

Yes! Cases...try Norman Clark, in Rugby, he had some cases in his "odd n' sods of brass" bins on Saturday when I visited. 8x57JRS actually I think but they will size down to tkae your .318" bullets. The .318" bullets might be more of an issue.

If your 8x57IR dies leave the neck not tight enough, you can ( at least with the Lee dies ) buy a .318 expander ball to change out for the .323 ball.

I load for an 8x57I in 1888 Commission Rifle, using the 170-gr FN bullets for the .32-40 Winchester, which are .321 inch. So are the bullets in the Remington 170-gr RN 8x57IS ammunition, which is a mild load (2,360 FPS from a 24-inch barrel), and works in my old 1890 vintage 8x57I without any pressure issues, at 2,400 fps.

Woodleigh makes bullets in .318.
Sellier & Bellot has 196-gr ammunition for 8x57IR, and brass and bullets.

jcf1 I have a full box of Sellior & Bellot .318" 196grn SP bullets. Drop me an email if you are interested and we can see if we can meet f2f sometime. I am looking for £25 for a box of 100.

What kind of 8x57IR double rifle or combination gun do you have?
What powders do you have for it?
Have you already found commercial ammunition which shoots to the sights for it? 196-gr at 2,400 fps would be the normal regulation load.

I load the 195/196/200 gr bullets in my 8x57IS, and 8x60S, but only lighter bullets in my old .318 bore 8x57I and my 8x57JIRS combination gun. But I have accumulated all sorts of loads for all of these. And several hunters on here load for their 8x57IRS. Norma makes 8x57IRS ammunition and brass. Buffalo Bore, here in the USA, sells .318 bullets.

Hi Southern - its a 16g over 8x57IR drilling. Made by Waffenhaus Munzel in Koblenz (now closed). But in terms of loads - I'm in the dark. Have no idea what commercial rounds work in it so it'll be fun getting it shooting!

But in terms of loads - I'm in the dark. Have no idea what commercial rounds work in it so it'll be fun getting it shooting!

It should....or I might be talking out my arse....give the bullet weight in grams in amongst the proof marks. Something like 12.7 g or somesuch...which will be 196 grain. Or maybe some lighter weight expressed as xx.x g in the proof marks.

Last edited:
It should....or I might be talking out my arse....give the bullet weight in grams in amongst the proof marks. Something like 12.7 g or somesuch...which will be 196 grain. Or maybe some lighter weight expressed as xx.x g in the proof marks.
First, look on the barrel for the date of manufacture.

Early 8x57I and 8x57IR were regulated for 14.7 gram or 227-grain bullets, the original weight.
Until 1914, many rifles did not have marks for the regulation bullet weight, and up to 1920, many were regulated for 227-gr or heavier, like 13.0 grains.

Most drillings after that will be regulated for 12.7 grams, or 196 grains, with a particular measure of flake powder, not muzzle velocity or chamber pressure. To further complicate matters, the chemistry of smokeless powders was progressing rapidly, and the proofs changing to keep up.

But to simplify matters, a drilling or double rifle, or 1888 rifle will shoot to the sights in good groups with a variety of bullet weights, from 150 grains to 240 grains.

I have dismantled Wermacht and Turkish 8x57IS rounds of varying bullet weights to measure the powder and type, and reuse the powder with the same bullets in my rifles. If you know your rifle's proof date and the powder and bullet marks, you can probably find surplus military ammunition and duplicate it the regulation load.

8x57JR 196-gr ammunition should be about 2,325 fps from a 27-inch barrel ( like the 1888 bolt action), and a bit less for a 24-inch barrel. By comparison, the same bullet from am 8x57IS bolt action would be about 2,525 FPS from a 23.6 ( 600mm barrel).

So look at the Norma and VV and other load data books for 8x57IS loads in this range and find a powder you have or can obtain, and work up towards these velocities.

The Lee data which comes with their dies is very useful for figuring loads of the right pressures.

Last edited:
There are a good number of UK and European hunters on this site who have nice 8x57IRS drillings and combination guns, with a variety of proven loads. The trick for you is going to be finding .318 diameter bullets close to the ones they are using (.323 inch). A safe powder for starting low and working up is Hodgdon 4895. Good powders for me in the 8x57s are IMR-4064 and H-4350.

Once you get some bullets in hand and know what powders you can obtain, it will be easier to get help.

You might want to connect up with those who shoot cast bullets, because you can size those to precisely fit your bore, and have some inexpensive, accurate, and mild loads for practice and for hunting ( if they meet the velocity regulations there ). A 200-gr cast bullet at 1,800 fps is potent on any deer inside 100 yards.

You should also join some specialized forums for owners of drillings and combination guns, and search them for "8x57IR", "8x57JR", etc:
www.germanguns.com

Back