Converting a a full length fridge into a chiller

viney

Thinking of buying a new full length fridge and turning it into chiller anyone got any ideas on fitting a hanging rail, or any issues doing this ????:-|

Hi - I did exactly the same. Got a full length fridge on Gumtree, took the shelves out, then bodged up a rail at the top using two bits of wood and half a curtain pole. Works fine! I hang roe and fallow in there for a week, just open the door once a day and swing it a bit to ventilate. Never had any problems.
Fridge.jpg

I did something very similar to pazmino, made a couple of brackets and used the hanging pole to brace everything into place. I made the brackets in a way to get the pole as high up inside the fridge as possible to maximise hanging space.

View attachment 65819

Regarding ventilation what is more important, fresh air to replace damp air in the fridge or keeping the air moving in the fridge? Would a small fan inside the fridge be enough or would it need to blast in air from outside?

Last edited:
Thanks for that, really didn't realise there was any difference in a fridge and a drinks cabinet is the difference critical to carcass longevity

Have you had any issues with Mould as it seems its a possibility that's been pointed out due to lack of air circulation never considered this might be a problem,given we all use fridges to store meat.
Can you get two Roe in at once ??

I've never had any issues with mould. The fridge I bought has a little fan at the top (though I don't think that's essential, a friend has the same system but his fridge doesn't have a fan), and as I said, I just open the door once a day and swing it a few times to change the air. And yes, you could definitely get two roe in at once.

While on the subject of turning fridges into chillers.. I have got my hands onto a lucozade drinks fridge with a built in fan.. I decided to buy the rail from bushwear.. It has settings on the inside, 1 saying warm through to 6 being cold.. Should it be set on 6 or slightly less? Don't want it to end up being so cold it becomes a freezer ha. Thanks

While on the subject of turning fridges into chillers.. I have got my hands onto a lucozade drinks fridge with a built in fan.. I decided to buy the rail from bushwear.. It has settings on the inside, 1 saying warm through to 6 being cold.. Should it be set on 6 or slightly less? Don't want it to end up being so cold it becomes a freezer ha. Thanks
google fridge thermometers...

Hi - I did exactly the same. Got a full length fridge on Gumtree, took the shelves out, then bodged up a rail at the top using two bits of wood and half a curtain pole. Works fine! I hang roe and fallow in there for a week, just open the door once a day and swing it a bit to ventilate. Never had any problems.
View attachment 65817
Hey Pazmino, you have a PM

Back