30.06 200gn

Hereford

Anyone shooting RWS 200gn? Usually use 150/168gn (deer) but have the opp for some boar - any thoughts / experience in the field much appreciated

A 30-06 with almost any 180gr bullet will stop a boar in it's tracks. A chap with us shot a big boar with a 165gr Nosler partition in 308 running at full gallop, killed it out right, even after going through a 3" sapling.

If you are just going to do this once now, and need some ammo, I recommend the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt RN. Federal also has an inexpensive line of180-gr RN ammo. Both have good bullets which hold together and expand well, and very accurate.

Thanks chaps - I can get Rem Nosler 180g and also Hornady 180g SST's - both are £10+ cheaper per box so will give one of these a go :thumb:

I have been using Winchester 220 gn recently and have quite a few left as I didn't always get the good peg !!
If you want to give them a try get in touch as I am sure I can spare a few at a decent price !!

If you are just going to do this once now, and need some ammo, I recommend the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt RN. Federal also has an inexpensive line of180-gr RN ammo. Both have good bullets which hold together and expand well, and very accurate.

I have been disappointed with the performance of 180gr core-lokt on red deer (pushing 3000fps out of a 300wm butnot far off 30-06 MV)

erratic on impact, bit messy on initial encounter with bone
still have a load to go through so tests not conclusive

I have been using Winchester 220 gn recently and have quite a few left as I didn't always get the good peg !!
If you want to give them a try get in touch as I am sure I can spare a few at a decent price !!

:thumb: Will let you know - how did you get on with them? what were your fellow shooters using?

:thumb: Will let you know - how did you get on with them? what were your fellow shooters using?
Most of my fellow shooters were using either .308 with 180gr or 9.3 's with half a ton of lead !!
I have used 180gr and 220gr in my 30-06 and on one occasion I joined a group of Croatian hunters and most were using 30-06 with PPU 180 gr soft points and did well with them too.
Before I got the 30-06 I used a .308 for several years with 150 or 180gr and did just as well then.

Anyone shooting RWS 200gn? Usually use 150/168gn (deer) but have the opp for some boar - any thoughts / experience in the field much appreciated

No experience with boar, but use 180gr superformance with great accuracy and precision on one of my deer permissions. The 180gr's seem to like the 300-425ya particularly with great energy dissipation.

If you are not reloading, I would be more concerned with quality bullets than getting masses over 180gr. Have a look at:
(1) Federal ammo - they use my favorite bullets, Sierra Game Kings
(2) S&B ammo - they use Nosler Partition bullets
(3) HSM ammo - they use Berger bullets

I have been disappointed with the performance of 180gr core-lokt on red deer (pushing 3000fps out of a 300wm butnot far off 30-06 MV)
erratic on impact, bit messy on initial encounter with bone
still have a load to go through so tests not conclusive

The 180-gr Round Nose? Not my experience, in the .30-06 nor .308 Win. The last time I sectioned the RN and the PSP, the RN had a thicker jacket. Supposedly, the 180-gr SPT used to wear a heavier jacket, back in Ye Olde Days, and the RN is supposed to be the same as the one use by Jack and Eleanor O'Connor to kill grizzly bear, moose, elk, and big antelope in Africa. Standard '06 velocity is 2,700 FPS.

If you are using the .300 WM for long range and wind resistance, try the 180-gr Hornady Interlock or the 180-gr Nosler BT ( heavier jacket now ), Accubond or Sierra GK.

Last edited:
I bought a box or RWS .308 150gn rounds once and had a job to open the SSG bolt after every shot. Never again!

I bought a box or RWS .308 150gn rounds once and had a job to open the SSG bolt after every shot. Never again!

Am I reading this right??

You had trouble opening the bolt after the shot yet continued to shoot them?

I am assuming factory ammo only?

boar are not invincible and the really big ones few and far between, the point I'm making is that you don't need to change ammunition unless you fancy a change as a 150/168gr round that will do the business on a deer of up to 100kgs will assuredly do the same on a boar.

if the ground is going to be heavily frozen lighter bullets are safer anyway

If you do feel like a change or are going after big keepers then by all means get something with a premium bullet of 180 grains or more loaded in it. Personally I like Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes TSXs and whole more that escape me at the moment. ;) :)

I have always had very good results using 150 SST. Shot placement is of course paramount with any weight bullet, on running Boar it's not always possible to get perfect placement, and I've always found the damage from the SSTs stops them pretty well.

Back