not deer dog - just training/chewing related

308tikka

so my 12 month old Patterdale bitch hasnt had a history of chewing the wrong things for several months - when very young iphone cables, leads and my bino objective covers(aaaargh!) were all destroyed, and this morning I woke up to find her in her cage chewing happily away on my brand new soft-grip mora with a lovely coated blade.all the way through at the end and the scabbard belt loop.

doubtful if salvageable which is disappointing as it was about three times the price of a normal mora, but Id rather avoid a repeat with anything else.

I give her plenty of exercise, she has a bone and a chew toy at all times and she gets to play several times a day. She also clearly stood on her hind quarters to reach the thing which was on a desk.

any tips on how to avert a potentially costly new fixation .... ?

Our pup has a plastic crate in the kitchen. This holds her toys. It also gets cardboard boxes for recycling - she does an excellent job of shredding this so they then easily fit in the recycling bin. It keeps her amused and busy for hours, costs nothing and has saved furniture walls etc. Puppies get bored and when bored get distructive. Give them lots to do, lots of training and exercise so that when you are home they just fall asleep.

Our pup has a plastic crate in the kitchen. This holds her toys. It also gets cardboard boxes for recycling - she does an excellent job of shredding this so they then easily fit in the recycling bin. It keeps her amused and busy for hours, costs nothing and has saved furniture walls etc. Puppies get bored and when bored get distructive. Give them lots to do, lots of training and exercise so that when you are home they just fall asleep.

Yes...I think I might have been just walking/exercising her a lot and not as much thinking training. Hmmm. I will try the cardboard...

Unfortunately when caged overnight with door closed she whines beyond what I can risk before complaints (due to neighbours in close proximity) so I have left it open.

Thank you for replies- food for thought.

Yes...I think I might have been just walking/exercising her a lot and not as much thinking training. Hmmm. I will try the cardboard...

Unfortunately when caged overnight with door closed she whines beyond what I can risk before complaints (due to neighbours in close proximity) so I have left it open.

Thank you for replies- food for thought.

Those pigskin chewable bones are also wonderful. Ours Lab / BMH cross got a 3 ft long one for Christmas - she finally got it into two parts yesterday and that has been a consistent hour or two a day for the last month. As for the training, Intelligent dogs like intelligent children need their minds stretching - I would be more concerned if they weren't naughty occasionally.

I personally wouldn't give my dog a cardboard box or such like to chew on. Dogs are not very good at telling the difference between boxes, shoes, hand bags, cushions, furniture, clothes etc etc. I am sure that my young pointer would destroy the house if left unattended out of her cage but can be left alone in the pick-up for hours and has never touched a thing. She even keeps my seat warm for me.
Each to their own.

Anything that the dog has showed an interest in that it shouldn't have put a thin smear of vics vapour rub on it . I promise you they won't do it again . Then they soon get out of the habit . My old lab used to follow me around licking off the chew deterant sprays then someone recommend this . It works well

Anything that the dog has showed an interest in that it shouldn't have put a thin smear of vics vapour rub on it . I promise you they won't do it again . Then they soon get out of the habit . My old lab used to follow me around licking off the chew deterant sprays then someone recommend this . It works well

bloodyhell ! not sure but thanks !

give them a bit of cast antler, they normally prefer to chew it and when its finished just replace it. I am have done this with a couple of dogs amd never had a chewing issue. fighting over the "best" bit of antler, yes but no chewing.

Andy7mm

A dab of chilli powder where they are chewing I've done in the past. Last year one of my teckels recked the carpet trying to get into another room. Chilli down never happened again. Them raw hide pig twisted chews are excellent. I get about 100 off amazon around £7 delivered. I go easy on actual bones as they make them a little aggressive but chews don't.

I appreciate the not annoying the neighbours thing but if I recall from when my dog was a pup, it took maybe a week maximum for the chelping to stop after the cage door was closed. As it's the cage rather than the surrounding environment the dog needs to get used to, could you possibly go visit an understanding relative for a week and take the dog with you? I understand it's not the most practical approach in the world.

Back