gun shops

mjjl

ok heres one for all the reloading gurus,
i recently visited a couple of different gunshops and had a quick chat about reloading, as it's something i am considering. now on my fac i'm only allowed to purchase 80 rounds at any one time, one shop said that doesn't apply to reloading components as they aren't written down on your fac, and i can have as many bullets etc as i require. the other gunshop said that this does relate to components and i will only be able to buy 80 bullets at a time,(shame they are in boxes of 100)
so who is correct?
regards
mark

I will be interested to see how this one turns out, it is my understanding that, only loaded rounds count against your allowance.
i asked my FEO a couple of years ago and thats what i was told. I never buy any centrefire ammo as i reload for all my rifles so as a result there is nothing entered on my ticket. someone has told me that they are entering primers onto tickets now so that might help, has anyone else heard that?
Ezzy

Not 100%, but i have never been asked how many bullet heads i have in stock , expanding or FMJ, even the FEO was not interested in my reloading, best thing to do is ring your FEO and speak to him as you do not say what calibre you wish to reload as this will have a bearing on being allowed expanding, thinking african calibres here, some bullet heads come in 50's in larger cals for brands such as nosler

steve

ezzy
you only need to show your FAC for primers i have not had any recorded, bought some from norman clarkes these were LR mag primers

steve
sorry for two posts

i do a bit of reloading
and these are the problems i encounter
for primers i only hav to show a valid ticket like i do when buying shotguns shells, before long they will make it so you hav to put primers down on you ticket
but heads are different i believe, as they are inert you do not need to put them on your ticket only when they are loaded and then are classed as ammunition then hav to be written on
but in my area w.mids all the suppliers i deal with hav been notified by the local authority that they hav to put the amount of heads on the ticket just as if they were ammunition
ezzy
a freind of mine has a shop in shropshire and he has to write the number of heads down as if they are ammunition
i wonder how long it will be before all reloaders will hav to be registered

243 win,
its a 6.5x55. the shop that said i could have what i wanted, did say that they would only be able to let me purchase primers suitable for the caliber on my fac, but that i wouldn't be limited to a set quantity.

just seen wot you wrote , i recently bought some heads of Norman clarke and he had to put the amount of heads on my ticket ( dean did) and pete starley (if you use him) has been putting heads on my ticket for over 3 years but my flo never asks about heads only ammunition when he comes round to check i take it your with leek wooton as they seem to hav different ideas to w.mids

Hello all,

I purchase my heads via internet shopping, there is no asking of my FAC. As I see it heads are inert. You can buy inert heads from eBay! I have bought primers without having to produce my FAC. Powder on the other hand, they always ask for my FAC.

Regards

All of my heads are put onto my FAC have been for years.

Steyr .308 where do you get your heads, I would welcome being able to have a bigger choice. I am pretty restricted for choice from my local shop up here, they do not always have want I want and I have to settle for what they have.

John

I may possibly be wrong.. and often am but I checked this out a little while ago for a client of mine..
expanding ammunition type heads are not innert, possesion of one of these little beauties alone carries 7 or 10 years max without a section 5 variation, if you post these you are in deep doo doo

FMJ's on the other hand and lead non expandings are not subject to any control whatsoever .. can be posted
The primers were not actually regulated either as with blank ammo..
but I am not aware that this has now changed, however things do seem to be regulated by "conditions" placed on RFD's & FAC holders in different ways in each area by different Constabularies to circumvent the statutary provisions when it doesn't float their boat so to speak.. :lol:
but when it actually comes down to it in actual legal terms for possesion of non expanding components you do not even need an FAC until the bullet is assembled.

Can someone tell me how a hollow point or a soft nose bullet is classed as expanding if it is not inserted in a case and a charge of powder and a primer attached to it!!
I have had one sat on my mantelpeice for years and it has not expanded at all!!
The way I see it is, that it will only expand or be classed as an expanding bullet is if it is made up as a complete round with propellant which enables it to expand on forward propulsion.
Anybody care to comment!!

Hi all,
I think from memory West Mercia gun shops always write expanding heads on your ticket but go over the the border into Gwent and they are not required to do so ???????

Mjjl, simple answer is to get the amount on your ticket increased to a larger quantity just explain you need to buy in 100's and of different weights, most of my calibre's I have buy 400, keep 500. This makes life simple especially with the intermittent availability of components you can buy a few boxes when you finally find some one with them in stock.

My biggest problem is the amount of powder you are allowed to keep, but that's for another thread :D

Wayne

stone
yes i am with leek wotton,
i was talking about primers, norman does put heads on tickets, strangely 3-4 years ago i bought some from fultons they just handed them over , these were expanding

steve

so far then it seems to be a regional thing, the two shops are under the same police area though. i guess it's one of those grey areas.
i will get my ammo amount increased but will live with it for a while as it took 6 months to do my last variation.

Hello all,

:oops: I have read this subject again and I must apologise to all. I stated I get my heads via internet that is correct, however these heads are match heads, not expanding. Please forgive me if I have implied and mislead you to believing that I get expanding heads via internet, I do not. I should have realised as this is after all a stalking forum :oops:

Legaleagle69, you are correct, you cannot post expanding bullet heads direct to a customer, it is a legal requirement that all such ammunition be purchased face to face with a Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD) who will need to check your FAC to ensure that you have a variation that entitles you to these items. All other bullets i.e. full metal Jacket, match and lead cast bullets can be shipped direct to you.

Due to my line of work I have moved around quite a bit, as such I have had to change my FAC to the area that I reside (I am at my fourth change in the last three years). To the best of my knowledge the only time I have had an entry made on any one of my FAC was when I purchased some heads up north. I will see what this area policy is when I buy a new batch soon.

Regards :oops:

Just didn't want you to get into lumber mate ...in some areas they do not count the expanding heads as ammunition but beware most do..

All hollow points and soft points are expanding and as such a class 5 item EMcC

I have had a think EMcC if the bullet is part of a display it can be seen as exempt .. I have a large display casy with several large afriac calibres ..all soft points etc these are exempt...however if would probably be an interesting argument that you may not win if you do not have authority to posses .. please take care we are often the targets of over jealous twits

EMcC
expanding heads are classified by the manufacturers, so if loaded it will expand, as match/FMJ are not supposed to not deform on impact, ie expanding is often termed how many times the original calibre is expanded to, if that make sense to you .308 to say .8' which means tansferring energy at the larger diameter,
interestingly berger claim their heads expand sufficently to be used in hunting applications but not classed as expanding, yet sierra state not to be used in hunting/ varmint with their palma, match range
makes it even more confusing.

steve

The main problem is inconsistancy between police forces and their interpretation of what the law requires. Also dealers are often confused or ignorant of the laws due to the overly complex and confusing firearms laws that exist in this country.
Expanding "missiles" do count towards the permitted ammo total, though non-expanding bullets do not unless loaded into assembled ammunition. Some forces insist that expanding bullets are signed onto certificates while others are satisfied that the sale is recorded in the register. Staff in some shops are careless and sell expanding bullets without checking of entitlement to possess, others insist that expanding bullets are not expanding when quite clearly they are.
I don't suppose any of us could tell "expanding from "non-expanding" visually 100% correctly, such are the nature of the various designs, and the disagreements that this leads to between shooters is seen far to often on forums such as this, Manufacturers could help in this area!
With regard to primers, I believe it was the last crime reduction order that required us to demonstrate that we have lawful reason to purchase primers, but I don't think it is an offence to possess without authority. o doubt someone will correct me on this.

A few weeks ago I bought some powder,primers and bullet heads from a local range.The owner said he needed to see my fac,I produced it but he gave it back without even looking at it!!!

I suppose it depends on what area you live and where you go.

Regards,

Gyr

Back