Something for the SD Bikers

yeah ok bikes do free up the parking and have less wear and tear on the roads but bikers still use the road signs, road markings, traffic lights, want better roads ect and this doesnt come for free i personally am in favour of road tax going onto fuel then those who use the roads and/or pollute the air more pay more.

Personally given that bikers make up 20% of fatalities and a growing percentage of serious accidents I would be in favour of increasing it to the same rate as cars + mandatory safety clothing + prison sentences if your caught with loud racing exhausts, doing wheelies on public roads and thinking that 30yds until the bend is plenty of time to overtake safely.

Needless to say I haven't signed

I see your point teyhan however as a 30 year motorcyclist with advanced training I can assure you the problem with the roads is down to lack of attention, at least the three people who knocked me off were paying f all attention. The cry always goes out "I didn't see you!" And my response if "because you weren't f'ing looking!"

As for road tax, it should be on fuel, that way the polluter pays but that won't win any votes now will it.

Please everyone one take a second look before pulling out as there is a curious problem with the human brain in that we tend not to see small objects travelling towards us (like motorcycles on a main road when you're at a side junction) even with the headlights and high vis.

Personally given that bikers make up 20% of fatalities and a growing percentage of serious accidents I would be in favour of increasing it to the same rate as cars + mandatory safety clothing + prison sentences if your caught with loud racing exhausts, doing wheelies on public roads and thinking that 30yds until the bend is plenty of time to overtake safely.

Needless to say I haven't signed
Sorry I disagree ved should be based on weight on the road or on the fuel.And if someone wants to ride a motor bike with shorts, T shirt and trainers and not wearing a crash helmet that should be down to them same as seat belts, and jail for loud exhausts get a life

Ridden bikes for 16yr, not one hiccup yet (kiss of death). Loud exhausts, have a word with yourself, that'd be every Harley and sport bike off the road, bang goes your road tax, safety gear, if you don't wear it you should have to pay your own hospital bills for being so Fecking stupid! Again, please look out for bikers we are a wee bit vulnerable on the roads, plus car drivers don't take kindly to losing wing mirrors when they cut us up or nearly total us :rofl:

Sorry I disagree ved should be based on weight on the road or on the fuel.And if someone wants to ride a motor bike with shorts, T shirt and trainers and not wearing a crash helmet that should be down to them same as seat belts, and jail for loud exhausts get a life

I agree but if car users don't wear a seat belt they get a fine.
Let's not forget that the reason seat belt law was bought in was because they were fed up with picking up bits of people involved in accidents.
I lost a good friend through a bike accident. He wasn't wearing the correct gear and died because of other injuries, not because of the impact. There were just too many bits hanging off him.
A good set of leathers, rated to the bike that he was using might have been enough.
The biker that decided to overtake on a corner and hit my Nissan Navara head on had leathers on. Despite taking to the air and landing 20m behind me he survived. I refused to give the police a statement saying " he's trashed his shoulder, his wrist, has been air lifted to hospital, split his bike in half and you want me make his life worse. No statement."
I don't hate bikers, who knows I might need a kidney one day.

Ridden bikes for 16yr, not one hiccup yet (kiss of death). Loud exhausts, have a word with yourself, that'd be every Harley and sport bike off the road, bang goes your road tax, safety gear, if you don't wear it you should have to pay your own hospital bills for being so Fecking stupid! Again, please look out for bikers we are a wee bit vulnerable on the roads, plus car drivers don't take kindly to losing wing mirrors when they cut us up or nearly total us :rofl:

It has long been a dream of mine to find a group of bikers and as they pull up at a set of traffic lights to overtake and pull in front of them.
I think it would hysterical and suicidal:evil:

The chances of getting ved on bikes lifted is sod all. However the accident statistics are complex. Most bikes who will come around the corner on the wrong side are the idiots who rode a bike 30 years ago and now decided to buy a bike as fast as a high end sports car but with the knowledge and experience of a gnat to handle it. I have had the conversations with those prats over the years. It is compounded by the dumb idiots in cars with their 'sorry I didn't see you'. Regarding the actual statistics, well time and time again it was proved that the authorities were falsifying information. Look up Martin Bangermann for the biggest evidence fixer in the eu if your bored.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I will ever ride again :(
But signed both petitions in support of those that still can. :thumb:

As for the comments about jail time for loud pipes, ok I promise to only ever use the stock exhaust on any future bike.
But in return we get a life-sentence for motorists who utter the infamous "I didn't see you", and the death penalty for
those that have to say it to a motorcyclist they have maimed through their inattention.

Neil. :)

I'm not sure if I will ever ride again :(
But signed both petitions in support of those that still can. :thumb:

As for the comments about jail time for loud pipes, ok I promise to only ever use the stock exhaust on any future bike.
But in return we get a life-sentence for motorists who utter the infamous "I didn't see you", and the death penalty for
those that have to say it to a motorcyclist they have maimed through their inattention.

Neil. :)

Loud pipes save lives...

A lot of the "I didn't see you" syndrome stems from the fact the vast majority of car drivers today have never ridden a bike. I rode bikes for sixty years and when I started out virtually all of the few car drivers that were on the road had at some time ridden a bike. This continued for many years but the scales then tipped in the other direction and today as I said earlier few have even ridden a m/cycle.
I am still very bike conscious but most of the other drivers have no idea of how a bike is ridden or where it can appear out of nowhere.
Generally bikers on the road today ride very well, apart from some of the lads on L plates, but we were all young once!

I do think that the complaining by motorcyclists about the 'I didn't see you mate' from car drivers would carry a lot more weight if they practised the same vigilance they request from drivers. Not many of them seem to notice the large white circles with red outlines and 30 in the middle as they come screaming through the villages round here. Maybe the VED should be replaced with an idiot tax which could go towards some help and counselling for the poor buggers who have to scrape them off the roads/out of dry stone walls and then go knock on their loved ones' doors and give them the bad news.

i know that thee are two sides to every story, but I live in an area which is very popular with bikers and I do see some extraordinarily selfish and dangerous behaviour from many.

I have been riding bikes for 45 years at 20 I went in to the White Helmets Motorcycle display team so have done my share of wheelies and jumping over various vehicles.Nothing better than riding in the sunshine without a helmet yes it is probably not the sensible thing to do but that is my choice in places where it is legal. I have ridden down some of Route 66 in the US on my mates Harley(without a helmet with the wind in my hair}I have done 160-170 on the Autobahn in Germany(legal) don't want to do it again.I sold my bike about 5 years ago after a couple of close misses but nowadays you have to ride very defensively and treat every car user like they are trying to kill you.But alas my biking days are over

Last edited:
I think every driver on the road should be forced to ride a motorcycle for 12 months before they can drive anything else.

You learn much more about safety on a bike that you will driving anything else.

Back