Getting Started - Which calibre

The home office guidance states .243 and 6.5x55 as two suitable cartridges for both fox and deer so at least some FEOs have read the guidance!

6.5x55 with 140gr ammo will put down anything that the UK has to offer.

I've just added a .308 that I'll put 165gr ammo through, for extra oomph when I go out on boar.

As stated before, .243 is at the bottom end of what's legal, and there are plenty that use it to great effect, but with bigger calibres you're going to have that slight safety net of bigger, punchier ammo, but that's your call.

I'd get to The Shooting Show in Newark next month, and try and handle as many rifles as you can, as fit is also important.

6.5x55 with 140gr ammo will put down anything that the UK has to offer.

I've just added a .308 that I'll put 165gr ammo through, for extra oomph when I go out on boar.

As stated before, .243 is at the bottom end of what's legal, and there are plenty that use it to great effect, but with bigger calibres you're going to have that slight safety net of bigger, punchier ammo, but that's your call.

I'd get to The Shooting Show in Newark next month, and try and handle as many rifles as you can, as fit is also important.

Yeah I'm going on the Saturday. I love my Tikka T3 so that's the logical replacement but I love the polished off finish of the Sako 85.

Yeah I'm going on the Saturday. I love my Tikka T3 so that's the logical replacement but I love the polished off finish of the Sako 85.

Oh, you're now speaking to a Sako bigot...! Try and find a 75 though... Something like this will see you out:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-S...-1-Deluxe-Wood-Blued_For-Sale_151210093845001

or:
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/sako-75-action-1-hunter-wood-blued-6-5x55-se-rifles/rifles/775075

I prefer the Synthetic Stainless, but again that's just personal choice

Oh, you're now speaking to a Sako bigot...! Try and find a 75 though... Something like this will see you out:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-S...-1-Deluxe-Wood-Blued_For-Sale_151210093845001

or:
http://www.gunstar.co.uk/sako-75-action-1-hunter-wood-blued-6-5x55-se-rifles/rifles/775075

I prefer the Synthetic Stainless, but again that's just personal choice

I too prefer the stainless models and would like a grey laminated one.

I made the mistake of picking a carbonlight up in York Guns at the weekend. It's a .243 and £2150. Too much for me.

A Tikka T3 stainless synthetic comes in around £900 where as the Sako 85 synthetic stainless is around £1500 and then there is £300 for a new moderator.

It all depends on what I can get for my .222 T3 varmint stainless and ASE mod.

I made the mistake of picking a carbonlight up in York Guns at the weekend. It's a .243 and £2150. Too much for me.

A Tikka T3 stainless synthetic comes in around £900 where as the Sako 85 synthetic stainless is around £1500 and then there is £300 for a new moderator.

what bore is the mod?
wouldn't sell it just to get another if it has a 6.5-7mm bore
perfect for 6mm or 6.5mm if the latter

wouldnt discount second hand rifles
you can get an awful lot for your money

what bore is the mod?
wouldn't sell it just to get another if it has a 6.5-7mm bore
perfect for 6mm or 6.5mm if the latter

wouldnt discount second hand rifles
you can get an awful lot for your money

It's for a .223 so won't be big enough I would think.

6.5 is the legal minimum calibre for all hooved game in Germany so if you were ever invited or bought a stalk there .243 would be a no no.
Just my 2 pence worth.
Martin

The only thing I would say about either of those choices is they fall short of the minimum home office criteria for a boar which is .270.
That is only a guideline, not a requirement.

I agree on the 6.5mm but don't discount the .260 Rem as an alternative (which is available in the Sako 85)

That is only a guideline, not a requirement.

I agree on the 6.5mm but don't discount the .260 Rem as an alternative (which is available in the Sako 85)

Oh yes, guidelines they are. I just think that you are a little safer if you adhere to HO Guidelines if something goes wrong and questions start getting asked. (being within guidelines is an extra tick in your favour)

For highseat boar I think 6.5x55 Swede with a 156gr Norma Vulkan, Oryx or some other well constructed bullet, relatively heavy for calibre bullet would work fine

KR,

Scrummy

Thanks folks. Will get my variation filled in and a booking to go stalking arranged then I can send it off and start to venture out.

Laminated is a heavy stock, so check the weight with bipod, scope and mod as you'll be carrying more than you'll shoot! Check those adverts though, as 1 is a full rig and the other just the rifle. You'll always get more in the "previously loved" section!

I've just picked up the Sako 75 .308 with Swarovski 2.5-10x56 scope in optilock mounts, and a PES T12 mod (which is up for sale in 1/2" UNF) for £1300. They're out there if you are prepared to wait and shop around.

I shoot a 243 its great for fox and munties and roe fallow seem to take a while to fall over but do, 6.5 has alot of followers and fans I'd be tempted to go bigger if I started again I would think you can get fairly light loads that are fast for foxing and heavier loads if needed for big deer good luck
Jake

The only thing I would say about either of those choices is they fall short of the minimum home office criteria for a boar which is .270.

Scrummy

One of my shooting palls has boar specificly itomised on his cert for his 243.

He shoots them with 70g BTs

ATB

I use 243 have dropped plenty of muntjac and fallow and one roe. Think I'd be inclined to go for a slightly bigger calibre though if ya wanting to hunt bigger species although people on here stalk reds with 243 I'm yet to try mine on one.

Back