Forestry And Homeloads

Rutland lad

I was talking to someone today who's a very knowledgeable gentleman, who was under the impression that the forestry people in Thetford and other sites had banned stalking with handloads due to H & S concerns.
Has anyone else heard this ?

Firstly they're reputed to be about to ban lead ammunition, and I can't find many manufacturers who don't use lead in their factory ammo, then I'm told that they're going to ban handloads, which is the way you'd go if you were loading copper rounds (like me) !

Can anyone enlighten me with what's going on please.

Exasperated of Rutland........

I was talking to someone today who's a very knowledgeable gentleman, who was under the impression that the forestry people in Thetford and other sites had banned stalking with handloads due to H & S concerns.

Firstly they're reputed to be about to ban lead ammunition, and I can't find many manufacturers who don't use lead in their factory ammo, then I'm told that they're going to ban handloads, which is the way you'd go if you were loading copper rounds (like me) !

yes that's right but you bought that ammo in the suppliers box didn't you......

yes that's right but you bought that ammo in the suppliers box didn't you......

You wouldn't have got away with that at the shooting test I did with the FC,they are on the ball and check the headstamps not just the boxes.......

You wouldn't have got away with that at the shooting test I did with the FC,they are on the ball and check the headstamps not just the boxes.......
Don,t quite get that , Well just say here,s my nice shiny federal power shok box inside my nice shiny f c stamped rounds 150 grain soft point , WOULD LIKE to know how anyone could SEE if they were new or once fired ? Anyone

I doubt they'll ban lead ammo (until they have to, by law).
My shooting agreement with a forestry company specifies that I MUST use lead. They don't want any harder metals stuck in their trees to pose a risk to their machinery in the future.

Don,t quite get that , Well just say here,s my nice shiny federal power shok box inside my nice shiny f c stamped rounds 150 grain soft point , WOULD LIKE to know how anyone could SEE if they were new or once fired ? Anyone

Like I said they know there bullets!!.........

Do you want to add to this RANGER22?

Thank you. I knew that people on here would know. I can't see the sense in banning hand loads at all, but there we go. Grown ups always know what's best for us.

FC are trialling Leadfree in our area.
When I was on Arran the FC ranger said that they had trialed Leadfree but weren't impressed at all with what they had trialed to date.

They normally have a coloured die around the primer on factory rounds which you won't have on a home load!;)
MS

It's not ideal when you have a fairly unique calibre which you can't buy factory for. I have a .280 AI which I do actually run 140 Barnes TSX through. I do have others, but I reload for all of them as well. I suspect that a reloading competency course may well be in the pipeline which will undoubtedly cost money, but hopefully appease the Health & Safety departments. Having to shoot lead free factory would certainly narrow the choice for most calibres and may prove to be the death of the .243?:stir:
MS

Back