where is all the ammo.

MrYou

I cannot get locally sourced, heads ,bullets anything. whats happening, these bozo's are jepordising my sport !!
It costing me a fortune to drive around, & get supplies ......GGGGRrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Is it better , to save the time & just by factory ammo ?? or is reloading still viable for hunting , with the present costs ?:eek:

Hmmm as we cannot see which area of the UK your in it's difficult to suggest places. However as far as I am aware apart for discontinued bullets like the Speer hot core we don't seem to be having a problem getting them :p.

Is it better , to save the time & just by factory ammo ?? or is reloading still viable for hunting , with the present costs ?:eek:

I am coming to the conclusion that if you only use a limited amount of ammo in a common calibre deer rifle, it is not worth reloading anymore. Certainly not here in NI when a pound of powder is £40 and 50 Nosler BT's are £25. I recently worked out components costs, ignoring the price of brass and my time, we nearl £0.70 per round for my 260rem.

There seems to be a general shortage of ammunition caused by Afghanistan and other wars I worked in a factory today that makes lead bullets that go to be copper coated and their production line is running flat out making military calibers and nothing else. They also make rimfire bullets for Eley.

Have you tried Tim Hannams they are the wholesaler but will sell to the public and are fairly close to you

Perhaps it's all in my reloading box? No shortage here!

I think for the odd few rounds for stalking with a common calibre it's not really worth reloading. I reload myself but then I shoot a .17 Ackley Hornet which doesn't exist in factory form, 7x57R which are like hens teeth and now a .338 Win Mag which costs an absolute fortune to buy! I recently picked up 100 rounds of old stock .338 to get started with and paid £120 for them, mentioned it to my RFD and he said he couldn't even buy them wholesale for that now! It's pushing £60 per box!

When you think you can get half decent common stuff for £1 per round, unless you're shooting hundreds or need to be extremely accurate (which we don't) there's little need.

Perhaps it's all in my reloading box? No shortage here!

I think for the odd few rounds for stalking with a common calibre it's not really worth reloading. I reload myself but then I shoot a .17 Ackley Hornet which doesn't exist in factory form, 7x57R which are like hens teeth and now a .338 Win Mag which costs an absolute fortune to buy! I recently picked up 100 rounds of old stock .338 to get started with and paid £120 for them, mentioned it to my RFD and he said he couldn't even buy them wholesale for that now! It's pushing £60 per box!

When you think you can get half decent common stuff for £1 per round, unless you're shooting hundreds or need to be extremely accurate (which we don't) there's little need.

Sadly getting ammunition in some chamberings is difficult to nigh on impossible and finding stuff like 6mm Remington is hard let alone at anywhere near £1 a pop. When I first acquired the 6mm Rem it took a year to get dies and brass and factory ammo well I was quoted £132 per hundred then and that was several years ago. I would hate to enquire at the price now and that was for run of the Mill Remington Express ammunition :eek:.

The best prices I can get is the Federal Fusion 150 grain in .270 win which reminds me I had better go get another couple of boxes while I still can at that price ;). I have ordered two boxes of the Fusion in 25-06 to try but have not got it yet. Finding decent reasonably priced ammunition in such chamberings as 7x57, 8x57 and 303 British is not so easy and some shops will not stock them at all.

I shall chance my arm and buy a box of the Privi Partisen in .270 and see how it shoots depending upon the price of course ;).

I have begun to restrict my shooting of certain claibres and chamberings due to the rediculasly high cost of powder, primer and componant bullets now. The .222 will see much more use and the reduced capacity Improved shape case .30 cal project is moving up the rankings of things to do so I can shoot more cheaply. I also predict more use of "The Load" on the 75M range for practice as it uses much less powder and it does not have to be deer legal ;) just to punch holes in paper and wood.

Get together with some mates and make a bulk buy..either postage from Reloading Solutions or drive to somewhere like Henry Kranks, etc.

Speaking for myself..i don't seem to be suffering. I'm also a target shooter and benefit from sourcing some of the harder to find gear through the club armourers. Last week i bought 500 Hornady A -Max bullets, 100 Hornady GMX lead free bullets, approx 3kg of Vhit powder, 1000 CCI large rifle primers and 200 7.5x55 Swiss brass cases.

I'm off to a regional shoot on Saturday where there's likely to be a couple of RFD's (they always do a brisk business) - what are you finding hard to get and i'll ask around?

Get together with some mates and make a bulk buy..either postage from Reloading Solutions or drive to somewhere like Henry Kranks, etc.

Speaking for myself..i don't seem to be suffering. I'm also a target shooter and benefit from sourcing some of the harder to find gear through the club armourers. Last week i bought 500 Hornady A -Max bullets, 100 Hornady GMX lead free bullets, approx 3kg of Vhit powder, 1000 CCI large rifle primers and 200 7.5x55 Swiss brass cases.

I'm off to a regional shoot on Saturday where there's likely to be a couple of RFD's (they always do a brisk business) - what are you finding hard to get and i'll ask around?
approx 3kg of Vhit powder,
?? had the packs been sampled ?:D

I have a pal here in Germany who has a small RFD and I just asked him and he said he would ship whatever is legal to send to the UK at normal German prices plus postage to the UK.
Martin

Back