Is a fox..........vermin

I would say no but would call to check. I have heard that some forces wont allow .17hmr on fox.

My fac has

'.17 hmr vermin control, .222 fox control, .243 deer & fox control.'

So can I shoot a fox with the 17 hmr ?

Short answer is no and your FLD must have that view as they have specifically mentioned fox against your .222.

But you need to get your conditions sorted out.

At the very least they should all be individually conditioned for the principal quarry species plus 'and any other lawful quarry'. So your .243 would be for 'deer and any other lawful quarry'.

At best your cert would have a condition reading something like this:

The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(Delete the bit in italics if you have an 'open' FAC).

Last edited:
My fac has

'.17 hmr vermin control, .222 fox control, .243 deer & fox control.'

So can I shoot a fox with the 17 hmr ?

Whatever the truth about the enforcability of these conditions is, I'd say that since they have specified fox as separate from vermin the answer according to the FLD's intentions is probably 'no'.

However, since you have demonstrated 'good reason to possess' these three rifles, they really, in my opinion, have no business telling you what you may and may not shoot with them.

If these conditions are likely to prevent you from using your rifles as you would wish, I'd write to them, saying how you'd like them changing and why. As Orion suggests, the 'and other lawful quarry' would fix things in an ACPO-approved manner.

I made a boo boo I only read is foxs vermin so I will hold my hands up

Like orion says if it only says 222 & 243 for fox than you can only use them two rifles

Kevin

i live in stafordshire and apparently a fox is not vermin so it would say vermin fox and deer if u were in west mercia

Why not just ring the FEO? I'm guessing that you want to use hmr on land that's not been passed for .222 so from that I can only assume you have a closed ticket. If so, explain your situation and ask for open cert... you never know, you might catch him on a good day :)

So here we go, Fox is Medium Quarry ...... along with feral cat and similar sized animals apparently as per the guidelines. But a hare is in the lesser class of vermin and in with small ground stuff.

Last hare I shot was a lot bigger than a feral cat!

So shooting a fox with .22 is a no no in some areas too then. As WS would say.... pish

Yeh fox is in law vermin but in the guidance also a larger class of quarry than bunny. FLO's live by the guidance so they can condition a larger caliber for a larger quarry based on size not specific legislation. There's some logic in it but it's pants.

Yeh fox is in law vermin but in the guidance also a larger class of quarry than bunny. FLO's live by the guidance so they can condition a larger caliber for a larger quarry based on size not specific legislation. There's some logic in it but it's pants.

Which is why the one condition covering three rifles makes so much sense - in my case .22RF, 22-250 and .308 (D&C area)

"The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry, on land, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

Nice and simple and the onus is then on the FAC holder to decide if the calibre is suitable or complies with any legislation in force i.e. Deer Act.

It would make a tremendous difference both to FAC-holders and the police if the FLDs just abandoned the idea, which is not supported by the Firearms Act, that 'conditions' need to appear on every rifle on every certificate.

I really don't see that it matters one jot to the police what I do with my rifles, or where, as long as it is lawful; and if a particular activity with a rifle is lawful, why should they seek to prevent me doing it?

Once I have demonstrated both good reason to possess them and that I may be permitted to do so safely within the definition of the Act, should they not just let me get on with it?

I hope your wrong. Your .22RF shall be used for shooting deer.... Re-read before you post. Or I shall eat my hat.

Sam

Then start eating your titfer my friend - salt & pepper or tomato sauce? :D

As I said in that posting:

"Nice and simple and the onus is then on the FAC holder to decide if the calibre is suitable or complies with any legislation in force i.e. Deer Act."

You, and no doubt many others, have been far too much over-conditioned by your respective police forces so that you think you must be guided by them to do exactly what it says on the ticket. It does not say that my .22RF must be used on deer, (which of course would be illegal, wouldn't it?), it simply states in one all encompassing condition what the firearms can be used for and gives me a bit of credit for knowing something about calibres and quarry and what external legislation might also be applicable.

Last edited:
Back