How many rifles?

Boghossian

Hi - just checking how many deer legal rifles one can generally justify owning with 'deer stalking' as good reason?
I have 5, from a 223 to a 375, but would like to know if you have to continue giving specific reasons for each new purchase...
I guess the short question is, can I buy another deer calibre rifle and justify it with 'deer stalking' or do you generally have to give specific (and new) reasons for each new purchase?
On a related note - I have heard that the security requirements get more stringent as you edge into the double figures. Is this correct or is there no difference in security required for 1 gun or 20?

In respect of security requirements, unlike shotguns where you can have as many as you like, if you have 5 rifles or more you have to have a burglar alarm. If you have 12 or more I believe there are further requirements.

As for the number of guns in different (or even the same) calibres with 'deer' as the reason for ownership, yes, you usually have to provide specific reason. For instance, if you already have .243 for deer, you could justify a .308 as for use with larger deer species. You can justify same calibres as having one for woodland stalking and one for hill stalking, and another for high seat work, all of which can require (or rather would be better tuned with) rifles of different weights, bipod and scope setups, regardless of calibre...

As long as you can show that you are still using all calibres for the reasons specified, and have an ongoing need for the additional rifles, you should be OK, I would think...

Pippa

As long as you can show that you are still using all calibres for the reasons specified, and have an ongoing need for the additional rifles, you should be OK, I would think...
Pippa

Therein lies the problem... come renewal time they want to see that you are actually using all the rifles. This is the reason why I don't buy more guns, of course I'd like more guns but it would mean regularly buying bullets to show that I am using them.
A genuine good reason to have a 'one for all' calibre ;)

Pippa, Im pulling the BS Alarm! I will not reveal my security details on the web, but there is no legal requirment for anything other than a secure riflesafe, with seperate ammo storage. We have more than five rifles, and CHESHIRE the toughest FLO in the country Have never said anything about burgular alarms! Lets not give them any idea

Cheshire say you cant have more than 3 deer legal rifles :rolleyes: why I am not sure, but thats them. A freind gets round this by saying that he needs various twist rates depending on the wind etc. Thats how he has about 5 .308's on his ticket!

atb

Sam

Pippa, Im pulling the BS Alarm! I will not reveal my security details on the web, but there is no legal requirment for anything other than a secure riflesafe, with seperate ammo storage. We have more than five rifles, and CHESHIRE the toughest FLO in the country Have never said anything about burgular alarms! Lets not give them any idea

That was Avon & Somerset - I was advised when I applied for my FAC (asking for 3 rifles) that I would not need an alarm, but if I applied for more and would have 5 or more in total, then I'd need an alarm. I'm having some renovations done and only called them this week to see what kind of requirement there wuld be on an alarm should I apply in future for more...

Another case of different rules for different areas, I guess...

I know quite a few people with more than 5 rifles and no burglar alarm. Me included.

Thanks for the views - keep them coming. As I said, I have 5 deer rifles and can easily come up with good reasons to get a couple more!

Cheshire say you cant have more than 3 deer legal rifles :rolleyes: why I am not sure, but thats them.
A freind gets round this by saying that he needs various twist rates depending on the wind etc. Thats how he has about 5 .308's on his ticket!
atb
Sam
Cheshire couldn't understand why I wanted two .223's when I said I wanted to shoot VLD's & needed a 1 in 6 as well as my first rifle.

I dunno about anyone else, but I also have to answer to a higher authority... SWMBO :oops:

Just as an aside to this, as I only have three rifles on my ticket, two for deer, I don't qualify to comment. But having just been assessed for my variation by a visit from my FEO, I was told that I would need a space for six rifles and two shotguns in my cabinet :eek: I asked "why" as I would only have three rifles and two shotguns! Seems sensible dosn't it...............but no :doh: I need a space in my cabinet for 8 firearms because I have three moderators on my ticket as well, and they count as a firearm in their own right, so they need their own space in the cabinet :confused: Good job I bought a large cabinet in the first place :cool:

ft

Good point about gun cabinet capacity and number of guns held. D&G are checking on every visit to see that you have a cabinet of proper capacity for the amount of guns you have which is fair enough. Once upon a time I had nine guns in my six gun cabinet after a mate packed in his shotguns but it was a short term thing. I guess the worst that would happen is they tell you to install additional security for the extra guns.

...............but no :doh: I need a space in my cabinet for 8 firearms because I have three moderators on my ticket as well, and they count as a firearm in their own right, so they need their own space in the cabinet :confused: Good job I bought a large cabinet in the first place :cool:

That's a good one!

Does the retard actually realise the space a moderator takes up? As if they can't muck around enough with the Firearms Act, they're now playing with the Laws of Physics! :cuckoo:
Tell the Bozo you have a 'Tardis' brand gun cabinet.

Last edited:

I'm just about to start the process of moving my FAC and SGC to Cheshire...and comments like this (and I've heard one or two) are starting to scare me!:scared: I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate!

Just as an aside to this, as I only have three rifles on my ticket, two for deer, I don't qualify to comment. But having just been assessed for my variation by a visit from my FEO, I was told that I would need a space for six rifles and two shotguns in my cabinet :eek: I asked "why" as I would only have three rifles and two shotguns! Seems sensible dosn't it...............but no :doh: I need a space in my cabinet for 8 firearms because I have three moderators on my ticket as well, and they count as a firearm in their own right, so they need their own space in the cabinet :confused: Good job I bought a large cabinet in the first place :cool:
Your FEO sounds like a right one... I keep my sound mods in my ammo safe, 2 rifles with scopes and bipods + 2 shotguns and my 6 gun safe is full :rolleyes:

I'm just about to start the process of moving my FAC and SGC to Cheshire...and comments like this (and I've heard one or two) are starting to scare me!:scared: I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate!

Well I aplied for my FAC when I was 14. They gave me a .22 no problem. Then I asked for a .243 for deer stalking, they said I was too young (where in the law does it say that?!). It took them FOUR months for them to give me stalking. On the way they suggested 1. Using an estate rifle (illegal if under 17) 2. Going foxing with a .223 3. Going roe stalking with a .223. 4 Waiting until I was over 21!!

When I did get I had the infamous "acomplished stalker" condition put on, which was fair enough in my case as I had never shot a deer (because that would have been illegal). But when I wanted to get rid of said condition (having shot 30 odd deer, for a lot of stalking) they said that I was too young to be wandering round with a centrefire rifle! Again nothing in the law says that!

When I then wanted said .243 for foxing they wouldnt give it too me because "a .243 is far too large for fox shooting, unless you shoot in a particulary windy place"!!! So I asked for a .223 for foxing, but they wouldnt give me that becuase it would mean A) I had three deer legal rifles (.308, .243, .223) B) Because I had a .243 (even thoough they said that was too big for foxes:rolleyes:) C) I wasnt a farmer, so why did I need to shoot foxes! :confused:

I now have a .223 on my ticket, but it took a great deal of fighting for!

Good Luck, but I would move somewhere else - we dont have that many deer either :rolleyes:

Sam

Last edited:
Good Luck, but I would move somewhere else - we dont have that many deer either
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'll try telling work I don't want to be here then! :rofl:

I'm moving from Kent Police where I hold an open cert on a stalking rifle with the usual, 'deer and lesser species' and one shotgun on SGC. I have a permission with Deer in Bedfordshire, although I tend to stalk pay-by-the-day more as I'm pretty new to stalking. Hopefully that will be ok with them, I'm just a bit concerned they might get their knickers in a twist as I haven't done DSC 1, and I don't know what they're like about open certs (although I've just had my first renewal). I had to write a few letters with Kent as they initially insisted on DSC 1 for a deer condition, although not for long. :D

I must admit, aside from that one hiccup, Kent, and especially my FEO, have been absolutely gleaming, and been very understanding about some complicated circumstances that have arisen.

Up to a point, I can understand why they might have been a bit reticent to allow you unsupervised use of a .243 at 14 or 15 years of age, but a) the laws the law, and b) I gather from your other posts your dad is a stalker too, a word in his ear to make sure he kept an eye on you would probably have been more appropriate. (Although I'm sure he did anyway)

The impression I'm getting from a quick search on the forum is that Cheshire are a bit arbitary and not keen to engage in dialogue!

Last edited:
Well I aplied for my FAC when I was 14. They gave me a .22 no problem. Then I asked for a .243 for deer stalking, they said I was too young (where in the law does it say that?!). It took them FOUR months for them to give me stalking. On the way they suggested 1. Using an estate rifle (illegal if under 17) 2. Going foxing with a .223 3. Going roe stalking with a .223. 4 Waiting until I was over 21!!

When I did get I had the infamous "acomplished stalker" condition put on, which was fair enough in my case as I had never shot a deer (because that would have been illegal). But when I wanted to get rid of said condition (having shot 30 odd deer, for a lot of stalking) they said that I was too young to be wandering round with a centrefire rifle! Again nothing in the law says that!

When I then wanted said .243 for foxing they wouldnt give it too me because "a .243 is far too large for fox shooting, unless you shoot in a particulary windy place"!!! So I asked for a .223 for foxing, but they wouldnt give me that becuase it would mean A) I had three deer legal rifles (.308, .243, .223) B) Because I had a .243 (even thoough they said that was too big for foxes:rolleyes:) C) I wasnt a farmer, so why did I need to shoot foxes! :confused:

I now have a .223 on my ticket, but it took a great deal of fighting for!

Good Luck, but I would move somewhere else - we dont have that many deer either :rolleyes:

Sam

You couldn't make it up :eek:.... is your FEO a qualified meteoroligist too? :confused:

Some of the tales you lads come up with regarding the problems you encounter crack me up:)

I never seem to have that problem I just tell them what I want if they say you cant have that or this or the other I just tell them to refuse it and put it in writing, they never have done and within days the F.C. arrives you just make a rod for your own back by getting into personal dialouge on their reasons and proof, look beyond that and stand your legal rights thats something they cant get behind:rofl:

Your FEO sounds like a right one... I keep my sound mods in my ammo safe, 2 rifles with scopes and bipods + 2 shotguns and my 6 gun safe is full :rolleyes:

Si, It's not the FEO, he is a stalker too, it's the muppets in the office who dream these things up. Unfortunately he has to be seen to be applying departmental policy, but he does it with good grace and humour.

ft

Edit, Cap, the letter to the chief constable has been written and I am just going to registered post it.

ft

Last edited:
In respect of security requirements, unlike shotguns where you can have as many as you like, if you have 5 rifles or more you have to have a burglar alarm. If you have 12 or more I believe there are further requirements.

As for the number of guns in different (or even the same) calibres with 'deer' as the reason for ownership, yes, you usually have to provide specific reason. For instance, if you already have .243 for deer, you could justify a .308 as for use with larger deer species. You can justify same calibres as having one for woodland stalking and one for hill stalking, and another for high seat work, all of which can require (or rather would be better tuned with) rifles of different weights, bipod and scope setups, regardless of calibre...

Pippa

I currently have 6 rifles [5 deer calibres] and no-one has suggested a burglar alarm.

HWH.

Last edited:
Back