sako 85 finnlight

gmorrice96

So I picked up my brand new 85 finnlight today. My intention was to have it threaded in 1/2" UNF so I could use my ATEC CMM4 from the rifle I was trading in. Much to my surprise it has been supplied with M14 x 1 thread on it already. I was under the impression that Sako did not thread these and that doing so voided the warranty, that's what I gathered from here and elsewhere. So I guess at least it ends the debate as to whether it is an any way dangerous.

Anybody else bough one threaded? maybe its a new thing.

I guess the long and short of it is that I have saved on a threading job and not voided any warranty but have to fork out for a new mod. What to buy. . . . .

Last edited:
If you're wanting to save some money I think you can just order a new rear section with M14 threads. I don't know anything about these mods but think that they can be disassembled from what I've read. Jackson Rifles should be able to help.

I have had a few finnlights and currently have one in 6.6x55, being a light gun I decided not to have a mod on this one. They definitely don't come screw cut and must have been done by dealer to make it more appealing maybe

I have had a few finnlights and currently have one in 6.6x55, being a light gun I decided not to have a mod on this one. They definitely don't come screw cut and must have been done by dealer to make it more appealing maybe

well that's what I thought but I noticed on closer inspection that the stickering on the box says that it is M14x1 threaded. unless it could be a GMK sticker.

Is it a 243 by any chance? Just thinking maybe they're screw cutting up to that cal. More meat left if you see what I mean. Just thinking aloud.

ATB Lee

If you're wanting to save some money I think you can just order a new rear section with M14 threads. I don't know anything about these mods but think that they can be disassembled from what I've read. Jackson Rifles should be able to help.

a fellow aberdonian and a man after my own heart. I was having a look but not much info on their site and the ATEC one is down. will have to give them a buzz and see what the crack is.

Is it a 243 by any chance? Just thinking maybe they're screw cutting up to that cal. More meat left if you see what I mean. Just thinking aloud.

ATB Lee

it sure Is a 243. my logic for it not being dangerous if screw cut was that the last 2 inch or so of the barrel is not fluted, then the threading is around half an inch or so which leaves around an inch and a half before the fluting. I would assume the barrel profile is the same as the others which are not fluted on the other models. then on the area you screw cut, the hole in the middle is 6mm / .243" and the outer diameter is 1/2" or 14mm whatever you thread it so no different from any other sako off the shelf.

so it is pretty much the same as what yo are suggesting. but if you have a 6.5 or 30 cal with an m14 thread it would have the same thickness as any other rifle in the range. I cant see how the fluting further up could influence that as far as being safe.

I may be very wrong though.

Jacksons will allow you to part exchange your old moderator and get a rather nice 40% discount on the replacement. So the new a-tec hertz would cost around £140. That would be a nice compliment to a new rifle.

Bought a new 85 Finnlight in 25-06 just last year. As soon as it arrived off it went again to be thread cut. Thought they all came uncut.

I have one in 6.5x55 and mine never come screw cut my mate had the same rifle about 3 months ago and his never either we both had them done in 14X1

I have two 85 finnlight's neither came threaded, but you can order them threaded if you want. As Mr Coleman says, short are threaded the longer ones come unthreaded.

Back