Bullets for hog

Colonel

I'm hoping to go to Texas hog shooting later in this year and will be taking my 30-06, what would be the best bullet to use, a heavy construction or standard soft point?

I'd consider heavy for calibre flat based soft points 180-200 gr. Privi factory loaded with their gromm bullets should also do the job.

Texas hogs are plentiful, but mostly feral ones, so not as big and tough as the Euro stock ones in the Appalachian Mountains of NC and TN. So use your standard deer ammo, 150 or 165 gr, no need for premium bullets or lots of extra uuumph. I like the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt Round Nose. No need to haul ammo to Texas, any more than hauling oil to Texas.

Yup buy it at Walmart.
Don`t forget to get the import permission sorted out min six weeks before travelling it is the BATF S6 form if my memory still works. They will want a proof of use for the rifle so a Texas non resident`s hunting license bought online will do for this as you need to fax? it to them. Well that`s what I had to do in 2007. Homeland Security seems to be bunch of jobsworth luvvies to me?????? But they are the ones making the rules.
Martin

Texas hogs are plentiful, but mostly feral ones, so not as big and tough as the Euro stock ones in the Appalachian Mountains of NC and TN. So use your standard deer ammo, 150 or 165 gr, no need for premium bullets or lots of extra uuumph. I like the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt Round Nose. No need to haul ammo to Texas, any more than hauling oil to Texas.

+1 -- Have spent a lot of time in TX, you will have a great time! No elaborate ammo needed. A run of the mill 165 grain Core Lokt or similar load will handle all those hogs from your 06 without issue...Ammo will be easy to find at any Wal-Mart, Academy Sports etc for close to $20 US per box. Federal Fusion (bonded) or Power Shok would handle the task just fine at a similar price and availability. The core lokt and fusion seem to be accurate in just about any rifle. If you feel more confident with a 180 grain then go that route.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Back