Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale bolt stripping and maintenance?

Parker Hale bolt stripping and maintenance?

Can anyone tell me - or even better, draw me a simple picture - how to strip and clean the bolt on my Parker Hale Safari Deluxe .270. It looks as if it should be strippable like the bolts on my other rifles, but it has me flummoxed. It's the standard PH 1200 style action without the bolt-mounted safety catch. Otherwise, put my mind at rest by telling me it doesn't need stripping and greasing, and that I should stop fiddling with my guns and get out more...

Any help appreciated.

Adam.

It needs stripping and greasing.

In the African dust, n excess of lubricant will attract dirt and may cause a misfire. Degrease the bolt and sparingly apply some dry-lube.

Somebody help the man!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post

In the African dust, n excess of lubricant will attract dirt and may cause a misfire. Degrease the bolt and sparingly apply some dry-lube.

A couple of quick soaks in meths then lubed through any holes.

Use the time saved to go and have a pint.

Win win situation!
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

It's simples ........................

With the bolt in the rifle lift the bolt handle to cock the bolt then close it again. Lift the flag safety to the central position ( assuming it has the Mauser flag safety that is) and open the bolt and remove from rifle then with safety still in this upright position unscrew the rear of the bolt and then clean off the muck excess lube allow to dry and apply sparing new lub or leave bone dry. Wash out bolt body and leave dry once all is down screw rear of bolt complete with firing ping back in then repalce bolt in rifle ................................... job done.

If it has the P-H low swing safety it's more complicated and requires a little muscle. Sorry about that.

Yes but...no but...

The safety catch is on the rifle rather than the bolt (it's a Timney type trigger). The bolt itself looks like it should 'turn and compress' like my other bolts but I can't work it out - it's like one of those diabolical puzzles involving rope and steel rings...

Quote Originally Posted by Grandhubert View Post

I take you don't know how then, given that unhelpful response!

And yes, your answer machine message WAS bitter (I played it on loudspeaker to the office and everyone agreed - very bitter. Tragic...

Just give it a sloush in meths or petrol. If really, really bad then chuck in the ultrasonic cleaner with pure meths.

Leave to dry and then grease through the access points/holes....i have red grease in a syringe for that purpose.

It's not worth the hassle or getting paranoid about.

Unless you really do want to disassemble your PH bolt.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." S.A.C.S. member!

Try to get a copy of "Bolt Action Rifles" by Frank De Haas it will detail the stripping of the Parker Hale mauser bolt or alternatively do a search on the internet there must be someone who has gone to the trouble of putting it on the web. You could also look under Santa Barbara actions or Interarms as the same action was used by several manufacturers.
    It isn't that difficult but it is some years since I did one so I am relying on memory and I may be wrong, but try the following;

Close the bolt and you will notice a small hole in the tail of the bolt if you insert a pin it will hold the spring in a compressed state when you reopen the bolt and remove it from the rifle. You can then unscrew the bolt shroud after pressing in on the small spring loaded plunger, a certain amount of effort is required but it shouldn't be too difficult for you to work out.
    Re-assembly is just the reverse.

It's certainly worth the effort of stripping and cleaning it properly every so often. There is no way that dunking it in meths or a petroleum based liquid will clean out all the gunk properly, and the same goes for just squirting lubricant into holes hoping that it will go in the right place.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...mbly/index.asp

The only difference is you wont have the safety to hold the cocking piece back so you will have to pull the cocking piece back whilst unscrewing the back of the bolt. This can be done by looping a piece of stong string (paracord would work) around the cocking piece and pulling the cocking piece back far enough so it clears the notch in the bolt to allow the bolt back/shroud to be unscrewed. When refitting you will have to grip the bolt shroud/back and pull the cocking piece back again to allow you to screw the bolt body back on. Good Luck